✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22

34But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. 35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Deuteronomy 6

4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

QUESTION 1:

Is love a choice?

Reactions: Katiedash

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22

34But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. 35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Deuteronomy 6

4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

QUESTION 1:

Is love a choice?
absolutely...but that being said, it is only possible to Love in the power of the Living God thus requires yielding to His work in our Lives.

• Agree
Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do see love as a choice. There are many in the world that are hard to love. With those people, we choose to love them. To do this though we need God to give us the capabilities to show this love.
It all started with God's initiative: "We love Him, because He first loved us". (1 John 4.19).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22

Deuteronomy 6

QUESTION 1:

Is love a choice?
It starts with God; see 1 John 4.10; 1 John 4.19; Ephesians 2.5.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But if love is a choice, does that mean its something we do? Isn't love more than action?
Love is an action, something we do...think the commandment to Love or some of the things we are told that are Love but it is also an emotion...think here Christ in the garden and His sweat drops of blood...in addition Love is an attitude...Philippians 2 and others...it's all these things and more which makes it very different from the worlds idea of love.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is all that. We show love by being nice to people, serving them, encouraging them. We feel love. But we can show love without actually feeling it.
I would suggest to you that if you don't feel Love it is just an action of obedience which isn't a bad thing but not Love unless it is accompanied by the emotion and attitude that is the mark of real Love.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love is an action, something we do...think the commandment to Love or some of the things we are told that are Love but it is also an emotion...think here Christ in the garden and His sweat drops of blood...in addition Love is an attitude...Philippians 2 and others...it's all these things and more which makes it very different from the worlds idea of love.
Philippians 2 is a very relevant passage.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is all that. We show love by being nice to people, serving them, encouraging them. We feel love. But we can show love without actually feeling it.
In the end it's beyond feelings, which can come and go. It's more about the Godward aspect that then influences our treatment of others.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But, if we don't feel anything, isn't that just doing nice things or doing what we believe to be right? I can do kind things for people and it doesn't mean i love them or does it?

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

Katiedash

Apr 14, 2018
Salem
✟16,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
But, if we don't feel anything, isn't that just doing nice things or doing what we believe to be right? I can do kind things for people and it doesn't mean i love them or does it?
We are called to love all. That could mean those who have done serious sins, or at least what society considers serious sins. Murder, rape etc. Maybe it is that we do the actions of loving them until God helps us to feel the love? Ok, I know those can be dangerous. We always need to remember safety, boundaries, consequences.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very few people know that there is a goal involved in Love, this goal goes a long way to help us understand the emotion of Love. See, the world tells us that love is a warm fuzzy feeling but Love (Biblical Love) is very different. The emotion we feel doesn't have to be a warm fuzzy feeling, rather it has to have a purpose, a desire that the recipient will find reconciliation/restoration first to God then to others...it's the "feeling" of wanting the best for the person receiving our Love. Again, look at Christ in the garden...His emotion wasn't just that the cup might pass from Him but that if we needed no other way, He would willingly give it all...that is a powerful emotion the likes of which this world version of love cannot compare.

• Agree
Reactions: Katiedash
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are called to love all. That could mean those who have done serious sins, or at least what society considers serious sins. Murder, rape etc. Maybe it is that we do the actions of loving them until God helps us to feel the love? Ok, I know those can be dangerous. We always need to remember safety, boundaries, consequences.
I think the role of prison visitors can be a blessing. It calls for a lot of humility not to talk down to people.

Upvote 0

Katiedash

Apr 14, 2018
Salem
✟16,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
If one was to really read my story on my blog. They would understand my thinking as far as loving offenders. So many told me to divorce him. God told me no I have more. We are finally seeing the results of this. I had to decide to continue to love him so that God could bring about the feeling of love in me again.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If one was to really read my story on my blog. They would understand my thinking as far as loving offenders. So many told me to divorce him. God told me no I have more. We are finally seeing the results of this. I had to decide to continue to love him so that God could bring about the feeling of love in me again.
exactly...the humility of Love that causes us to want the best for the other person, creates a covenant whose intent/purpose is reconciliation/restoration...amen

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Went you your website, but didn't see your story. Where is it?

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
exactly...the humility of Love that causes us to want the best for the other person, creates a covenant whose intent/purpose is reconciliation/restoration...amen

Where is the choice in this?

Upvote 0