United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

So, from an Anglican/Episcopal perspective, I was wondering, what are you supposed to do during Lent? I'm not officially a Christian just yet, but I still want to partake in Lent, just to try it out and possibly use it for spiritual enrichment and getting closer to God.

I live with Roman Catholics right now and, from what I understand, they refrain from eating meat on Fridays and I think they also give up something during Lent. Is this something that Anglicans/Episcopals do as well? Also, does it matter if I get my ashes on Ash Wednesday from a Roman Catholic service? They'll be having one on my school's campus and I was thinking of attending that one instead of driving a great distance to my closest Episcopal church to get ashes.

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am an Anglican I do pretty much what my Roman Catholic brothers and sisters do (fast and reflect). Personally, I do not see an issue with going to an Ash Wednesday service and receiving the ashes at a Roman Catholic Church - the purpose and symbolism is exactly the same IMHO.

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Whatever you do is between you and God.

It is common to stop doing something enjoyable and to start doing something to help others. It’s also common to do a Lent Study with other people in your fellowship.

Sundays are always a day of celebration.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,383.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
While there are different things that are customary, there are no real obligations for Anglicans in Lent. If you're keen to give it a try, I might suggest talking one on one with someone who can give you some guidance on how to get the most out of it (like your priest); we don't know you, and what is great for me might not work for you at all!

Lent is traditionally a time of preparing for baptism, so if you're not officially a Christian "yet" but intend to become one, using that time to prepare and learn in that kind of way might be really helpful to you.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So officially lent is a season that is marked by special acts of discipline and self denial, though that isn't actually defined. Many Episcopalians choose to observe it differently. (Episcopal is the adjective, and Episcopalian is the noun. An Episcopalian is a member of the Episcopal church.)

Upvote 0

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In regards to giving something up i'd offer the following advice:

- If you are giving up something like specific food or drinks, make sure it is something you eat/drink regularly. It isn't much of a sacrifice if you give something up which you rarely partake in.
- You can give up anything that you do regularly: social media, mobile/cell phone usage, even the internet!
- You don't have to give up anything, but can choose to take up doing something such as: saying the rosary every day (if you are into that sort of devotion), giving to the poor, providing food to the homeless, extra bible study each day, allocated prayer time slots throughout the day...you get the jist.
- You could do a combination of giving something up and taking something on.

The point of giving something up/taking something up is so that you can grow closer to God. It is a great opportunity for spiritual bettering and reflection.

I am contemplating fasting from food and drink (except water) from when I rise in the day till the evening. I also have a fiery nature that get's me into a lot of political squabbles on social media, so I am considering trying to go against this and try not to get into political arguments and avoiding the occasion which would get me into such arguments.

Since there are no strict rules for what to do during lent, you could do anything you want. It's between you and God. I've just provided some suggestions, but you aren't obligated to follow them. I'd say most people new to Christianity start off small, which I think is wise and just as worthy. It's also worth pointing out that if you fail at whatever you choose to do, don't worry! It's okay if you fall. God is there to help you to get back up. All he wants is for you to try your hardest and he will see your good intention and love. Christianity is a process that even the most experienced Christian struggles to work at.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do (or not do)!

Upvote 0