Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I recently discovered that Garlic forms a certain beneficial substance called Allicin when chopped and then allowed to sit for 10 minutes. I was wondering if anyone here knew if this would take place if the garlic was chopped, and then placed in another medium, such as water for those 10 minutes. Or would the immersion in water hinder the formation of Allicin?

The way I use Garlic is as part of a health drink I make in a blender. It consists of spinach, black beans, tomato paste, garlic, turmeric and black pepper. Some water is also added to thin it out and allow the foods to blend.

I used to make this drink without garlic, but noticed in a recent blood test after using garlic for at least a year that my cholesterol level has dropped significantly. Also, my blood pressure is noticeably lower. These have happened after using garlic, but I didn't know about allowing the garlic to rest for 10 minutes after chopping it up. But now that I've learned about this, I'd like to use this method, but don't want to ruin the process by immersion in water during those 10 minutes if that's what happens. Placing the garlic cloves in the blender with a little water seems to allow it to be chopped up much more thoroughly, which is my reason for asking.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Allicin is formed in crushed garlic by the action of the Garlic's Alliinase which converts the existing precursor, Alliin, into Allicin. Whilst I cannot find any literature on the subject it would be reasonable to assume that anything that inhibits the enzyme process will lower the Allicin generation. All enzymes require certain concentrations of salts and other compounds for maximal efficiency, all of which are found in the organism the enzyme sits in. I would therefore think that anything that disrupts the enzymatic environment, such as the introduction of other vegetables and water, would therefore reduce the amount of Allicin produced. The act of diluting the garlic in other substances will also have an inhibitory effect.

Just use a garlic crusher. It will chop just as thoroughly as a blender. Leave it for 10 mins then add to your drink.

Best garlic crusher I have ever had:
Dreamfarm Garject Garlic Press Black For $44.95 | Kitchenware Australia

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Allicin is formed in crushed garlic by the action of the Garlic's Alliinase which converts the existing precursor, Alliin, into Allicin. Whilst I cannot find any literature on the subject it would be reasonable to assume that anything that inhibits the enzyme process will lower the Allicin generation. All enzymes require certain concentrations of salts and other compounds for maximal efficiency, all of which are found in the organism the enzyme sits in. I would therefore think that anything that disrupts the enzymatic environment, such as the introduction of other vegetables and water, would therefore reduce the amount of Allicin produced. The act of diluting the garlic in other substances will also have an inhibitory effect.

Just use a garlic crusher. It will chop just as thoroughly as a blender. Leave it for 10 mins then add to your drink.

Best garlic crusher I have ever had:
Dreamfarm Garject Garlic Press Black For $44.95 | Kitchenware Australia

Whew! Pretty expensive! It cost more than my blender did.
I've heard that something called a micro planer does the most to release the most Allicin, but I guess I'm satisfied with the job the blender does, and as long as I don't use water to blend it in, it sounds like it would do well enough. I actually did that today and left it for 10 minutes before adding everything else.
If it worked with water, I was thinking of making it into a garlic "drink"--water with micro sized bits of garlic--and just chug it down quick after drinking the vegetable drink. I actually did it once before the vegetable drink and I immediately felt nauseous until I drank something else. Not good on an empty stomach, I guess. :)

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Whew! Pretty expensive! It cost more than my blender did.

Well I don't own a blender :) But boy I do love garlic. You can get them much much cheaper, and they will crush just as well, but most of them require skinning the clove, and break after a few months.

I've heard that something called a micro planer does the most to release the most Allicin, but I guess I'm satisfied with the job the blender does, and as long as I don't use water to blend it in, it sounds like it would do well enough. I actually did that today and left it for 10 minutes before adding everything else.
If it worked with water, I was thinking of making it into a garlic "drink"--water with micro sized bits of garlic--and just chug it down quick after drinking the vegetable drink. I actually did it once before the vegetable drink and I immediately felt nauseous until I drank something else. Not good on an empty stomach, I guess. :)

Garlic by itself is...an acquired taste. I tend to chew on a clove whilst cooking, something I recommend to nobody. But I agree with what you posted. Blend the garlic by itself, wait 10 min, add the rest.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well I don't own a blender :) But boy I do love garlic. You can get them much much cheaper, and they will crush just as well, but most of them require skinning the clove, and break after a few months.

My blender just died after 16 years, but it got light use. I only ran it about 25 seconds to do its job once a week, and never used it for crushing ice. Just soft stuff. I bought a new blender yesterday and used it the first time today.

Garlic by itself is...an acquired taste. I tend to chew on a clove whilst cooking, something I recommend to nobody. But I agree with what you posted. Blend the garlic by itself, wait 10 min, add the rest.

Yikes! I've just been either chopping it up finely or blending it, and then gulping it down. Some of the bigger pieces don't go down too well though. I think of garlic as more of a medicinal item than a food. The vegetable drink I put it in doesn't taste too good either, but that's secondary in concern.
Would you happen to know how long the Allicin lasts once it's produced? I thought I read somewhere that it lasts about 2.5 days. I portion the vegetable drink I make with the garlic in it to last for a week. I can't locate the source where I found that information anymore.

EDIT: I just found that information: https://boardgamestips.com/wow/is-a..._long_does_allicin_last_after_crushing_garlic

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Would you happen to know how long the Allicin lasts once it's produced? I thought I read somewhere that it lasts about 2.5 days. I portion the vegetable drink I make with the garlic in it to last for a week. I can't locate the source where I found that information anymore.

EDIT: I just found that information: https://boardgamestips.com/wow/is-a..._long_does_allicin_last_after_crushing_garlic

More correctly, it has a half life at room temperature of about 2.5 days, which means sitting on your bench there's half the amount of allicin after 2.5 days, 1/4 after 5, 1/8th after 7.5 etc.

It will last longer in the fridge, and survives cooking (so long as you give it the 10 minute head start).

Also, from your link...
"According to NCBI, chewing the clove before swallowing is more beneficial. "

Huzzah.

• Informative
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
More correctly, it has a half life at room temperature of about 2.5 days, which means sitting on your bench there's half the amount of allicin after 2.5 days, 1/4 after 5, 1/8th after 7.5 etc.

It will last longer in the fridge, and survives cooking (so long as you give it the 10 minute head start).

Also, from your link...
"According to NCBI, chewing the clove before swallowing is more beneficial. "

Huzzah.

Hmmm. Good news since I put my prepared drink containing the garlic in the fridge afterwards. I'm surprised it lasts as long as 2.5 days at room temperature.

Do you do your own growing? I gave that a try but quickly gave up. Whenever I planted a clove in the ground, a squirrel would always dig it up and then leave it lay there. I guess they smell it and think it's something good to get until they get it and then lose interest. I put it back in the ground, and then they dig it right back up. So I just go about it the old fashioned way. I buy it in the store.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you do your own growing? I gave that a try but quickly gave up. Whenever I planted a clove in the ground, a squirrel would always dig it up and then leave it lay there. I guess they smell it and think it's something good to get until they get it and then lose interest. I put it back in the ground, and then they dig it right back up. So I just go about it the old fashioned way. I buy it in the store.

I have killed cacti. On the humanist basis of not causing suffering even to plants, I buy. Any garlic I planted would consider itself lucky to be half eaten by a squirrel compared to what I was doing to it.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently discovered that Garlic forms a certain beneficial substance called Allicin when chopped and then allowed to sit for 10 minutes. I was wondering if anyone here knew if this would take place if the garlic was chopped, and then placed in another medium, such as water for those 10 minutes. Or would the immersion in water hinder the formation of Allicin?

The way I use Garlic is as part of a health drink I make in a blender. It consists of spinach, black beans, tomato paste, garlic, turmeric and black pepper. Some water is also added to thin it out and allow the foods to blend.

I used to make this drink without garlic, but noticed in a recent blood test after using garlic for at least a year that my cholesterol level has dropped significantly. Also, my blood pressure is noticeably lower. These have happened after using garlic, but I didn't know about allowing the garlic to rest for 10 minutes after chopping it up. But now that I've learned about this, I'd like to use this method, but don't want to ruin the process by immersion in water during those 10 minutes if that's what happens. Placing the garlic cloves in the blender with a little water seems to allow it to be chopped up much more thoroughly, which is my reason for asking.
I put garlic cloves in a blender with kale, lemon juice and water. I refrigerated it and ate it within a week.

Garlic powder is also known to lower blood pressure.

Eating beans helped lower a person’s heart beat. No sodium added may be better than high sodium canned beans.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I put garlic cloves in a blender with kale, lemon juice and water. I refrigerated it and ate it within a week.

Garlic powder is also known to lower blood pressure.

Eating beans helped lower a person’s heart beat. No sodium added may be better than high sodium canned beans.

One way I heard of to lower the amount of sodium in canned beans is to pour the canned beans into a strainer and run water over them.
As a substitute for Spinach, I sometimes buy canned peas. Walmart has a "no sodium added" version of those.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One way I heard of to lower the amount of sodium in canned beans is to pour the canned beans into a strainer and run water over them.
As a substitute for Spinach, I sometimes buy canned peas. Walmart has a "no sodium added" version of those.
I got an Instant Pot to cook beans after they were soaked overnight and rinsed. I set it to pressure cook and cooked 50 minutes. I used the fridge and freezer to store batches.

I use frozen vegetables, except I stocked some canned food for hurricane emergencies and may eat it anytime as hurricane danger passed.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I got an Instant Pot to cook beans after they were soaked overnight and rinsed.
An FYI. I've throw them in the IP unsoaked in a soup, stew or whatever, and they come out just fine. 45 min. One bag of asst. 9 or 15 beans and vegetables (meat optional) made 15 meals for $6 I could freeze in case of emergency or pandemic where I got toilet paper but forgot to buy food.

Last edited:
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An FYI. I've throw them in the IP unsoaked in a soup, stew or whatever, and they come out just fine. 45 min. One bag of asst. 9 or 15 beans and vegetables (meat optional) made 15 meals for $6 I could freeze in case of emergency or pandemic where I got toilet paper but forgot to buy food.
Red lentils cook in ten minutes. I read somewhere eating legumes is linked to longer life. They are full of protein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Serena Williams and other Olympic gold medal winners are vegan.
Or perhaps justify themselves and their need for muscle protein by taking synthetic protein powder like is sold in stores?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Garlic is amazing medicine. It has multiple healthbenefits including being natural antibiotic. I eat raw garlic, I just chop it and eat it on the bread. Yum. Sometimes when I cook I add fresh garlic in it, but I prefer to eat my fresh garlic raw because when cooking it, it doesn’t have as much as healthbenefits when eating it raw.

• Agree
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I got an Instant Pot to cook beans after they were soaked overnight and rinsed. I set it to pressure cook and cooked 50 minutes. I used the fridge and freezer to store batches.

I use frozen vegetables, except I stocked some canned food for hurricane emergencies and may eat it anytime as hurricane danger passed.
Hurricanes? Where do you live; Louisiana, Florida?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Garlic is amazing medicine. It has multiple healthbenefits including being natural antibiotic. I eat raw garlic, I just chop it and eat it on the bread. Yum. Sometimes when I cook I add fresh garlic in it, but I prefer to eat my fresh garlic raw because when cooking it, it doesn’t have as much as healthbenefits when eating it raw.
I read some where that vegetables should be uncooked, except for carrots.

Upvote 0