W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question about denominations and “traditions” of men.
I am wanting to find a church.
I should state that I am concerned and confused about denominations.
The Roman Catholic Church claims that only they are the true church and way to salvation (because they are the one true church founded by Jesus)
Protestants believe that the Catholic Church is wrong.
Sabbath keeping churches believe that both groups are wrong (and the beast and/or harlot and Sunday keeping is the mark)
Church of Christ says all three are wrong.
I should also say that I have anxiety about the evil mark.
I am also scared of any cultish churches but have yet to find a list (besides saying that the Church of Christ and some sabbath keeping churches are) to know what to look out for because I’ve literally became mentally ill from some of the scary “end times” websites out there.
I also know to beware of false prophets. Does that even mean myself (to not trust my heart/gut/brain/soul)?
I don’t know anyone in my town that is a Christian (my husband is a nonbeliever)
I know to read my bible (and I’ve started daily one chapter before bed).
The Lord doesnt ask much of us. I keep things simple.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Bipolargirl , this is the second thread that you started about finding a church and all of your fears that are associated with that process.

What are you wanting/expecting from a church?
What church/group brought you to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ? If none of our answers appeal to you, they would be the best source to recommend such a church.

I only recommended Vineyard and the Assemblies of God because they tend to be better at helping people with mental issues. (I have autism.)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Catholic Church claims that only they are the true church and way to salvation (because they are the one true church founded by Jesus)
Sabbath keeping churches believe that both groups are wrong (and the beast and/or harlot and Sunday keeping is the mark)
I am also scared of any cultish churches but have yet to find a list (besides saying that the Church of Christ and some sabbath keeping churches are) to know what to look out for because I’ve literally became mentally ill from some of the scary “end times” websites out there.
I also know to beware of false prophets. Does that even mean myself (to not trust my heart/gut/brain/soul)?
I don’t know anyone in my town that is a Christian (my husband is a nonbeliever)
Hello and welcome to CF.

Lord have mercy on you - I'm sorry that you are feeling afraid because of all this. I promise you that God is not out to get us, nor is He looking for reasons to condemn. God desires that all people be saved, and while not everyone desires to cooperate with God, as long as we are seeking Him, He will help us (though yes, it can seem long and difficult for us when we don't see where the road is leading).

People often continue to learn and grow, and often make changes in the fellowship they might align with as they learn more and more. It doesn't sound to me like you need any more pressure on that point. But if you are concerned (and it sounds like you are) ... I would suggest being patient with yourself (because God isn't looking to exclude anyone) and start exploring what different groups say and why. I would encourage reading the Holy Scriptures, and also what the early Church taught as the interpretation and application of them, but I admit to being biased in that direction. There are forums for all kinds of faith communities and denominations here on CF - maybe you'd like to visit them and ask your questions to each group.

But seek God at the same time. You do want to protect yourself from false teachings and misinterpretation, but Christianity has become a very complex landscape as you point out. Forcus on what you know you can know - and seek understanding on the rest. Just give yourself time.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Generally denominations don't claim to be the only true church. Indeed many of us consider such a claim to be a sign of a "cult." (I make an exception for Catholics and Orthodox. I think they're deluding themselves in making that claim, but there are historical reasons why they do, and it doesn't indicate the kind of cultish behavior that is true for most churches that claim to be the only true church.)

There are, in fact, large families of denominations that are equivalent for most purposes. If you're evangelical, pretty much any evangelical church could be acceptable. There will likely be more differences depending upon the particular congregation than the denominatoin: the background of the people, the pastor, etc.

Why don't they all merge? First, many Christians consider the local congregation to be the primary unit of the church. Denominations, for them, are simply organizations to help congregations engage in collaborative activities. I'm a member of a more tightly connected denomination, Presbyterians. We are separate from Lutherans, Methodists, etc, at least in part for historical reasons. But we're in the process of setting up agreements that allow members and pastors to move freely between those "mainline" denominations. Our denominations have enough problems getting the central leadership to be responsive to the needs of the congregation. We're not generally interested in merging into a single big mainline denomination.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@Bipolargirl , this is the second thread that you started about finding a church and all of your fears that are associated with that process.

What church/group brought you to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ? If none of our answers appeal to you, they would be the best source to recommend such a church.

I only recommended Vineyard and the Assemblies of God because they tend to be better at helping people with mental issues. (I have autism.)
I’m sorry, I just wanted to clarify because I didn’t think I described it very well

• Friendly
Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I think Bipolar is as meticulous as you! She wants to get it right and fears that she'll go astray! Don't worry BP, God will guide your hand.. don't doubt yourself so much! :)

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Here this will just be like taking the red pill in the matrix.

A lost person will not be able to understand unless she becomes Born Again and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

This happens when the lost person realizes they are a sinner and in need of a savior, who is Jesus Christ. He died for your sins on the cross so you can be forgiven and rose from the dead, and the moment you receive him a supernatural miracle will occur in your life and you will become a completely changed person, I just ask you to try to direct your trust to Jesus Christ so that you may have eternal life through Lord Jesus Christ.

Here is the gospel:

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I pray that your eyes may be opened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here this will just be like taking the red pill in the matrix.

A lost person will not be able to understand unless she becomes Born Again and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

This happens when the lost person realizes they are a sinner and in need of a savior, who is Jesus Christ. He died for your sins on the cross so you can be forgiven and rose from the dead, and the moment you receive him a supernatural miracle will occur in your life and you will become a completely changed person, I just ask you to try to direct your trust to Jesus Christ so that you may have eternal life through Lord Jesus Christ.

Here is the gospel:

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I pray that your eyes may be opened.
I think her eyes are open, she just needs a path!

Every discipline has its own idiosyncratic ethos.. she's looking for one that rhymes with her soul!

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You strike me as a young believer in Christ :yellowheart: Welcome!
I had the same question when I was younger and wondering about all of this. I even did the research by studying God's Word and researching Catholicism and even Mormons, but I learned neither of those are the Way. In fact it landed me with a bunch more contradictions in the Bible, and yet I knew the Bible to be true - because it's the Word of God; Jesus Christ. I had many trials in this and I held firm to what I knew and understood. It wasn't until years down the road that God rewarded me with His wisdom from those years of obedience to Him. I didn't really know Him then like I do now.

Ask God to help you with reading His Word (ask and you shall receive) and He will give you wisdom and reward you with even more down the road, strengthening your relationship with Him. I asked God what Bible I should read and He answered through someone who gave one to me. A KJV Bible, but please understand that this may not be for everyone, He may have you read another version if you ask. I also prayed for another church to attend as the one I grew up in I out grew. They were not growing but standing still and I wanted more. So through my dad He answered and we then began going to Elim which is a Pentecostal church. From then on, we have been continuing growing both in church and on our own study time. Relationship to God is key, as Jesus Christ is the Foundation of faith. :yellowheart:

I pray He leads you.

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
..He may have you read another version if you ask. I also prayed for another church to attend as the one I grew up in I out grew. They were not growing but standing still and I wanted more.... :yellowheart:

I pray He leads you.

Fine words... you're an insightful lady, swan!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My wife and I attended different denominations or churches each Sunday for about a year. I highly recommend the experience, as you will find the people all pretty much on the same page.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
BPG.. how 'bout I throw a wrench into the works.
Denominations within Christianity are a result of theology, which is merely man's philosophy (opinion) about the aspects of the religion and scripture. At the moment there are over 7 billion people in this world with opinions (hence potentially 7 billion denominations). Now you have a choice, you can create a denomination of your own or follow one ready made, but in the end you are just following someone's opinion and not necessarily what Jesus taught. Never mind that the official State church abandoned Jesus for the world of man 1700 years ago and sought to do so long before that. All that followed regarding Christianity, stayed the same course.

It might be wise as a first step to follow only the opinion of Jesus. His teachings did not serve any denomination, they served the Father. His only gospel was the Gospel of the Kingdom., He did not come to create a religion which begats endless denominations. He came to suggest a way of life alternate to the ways man has created human earthly existance upon.

Simply put, there are two options. No not right/left. One is the will of man (in which right/left fits) and the other is the will of God in which there is no place for the divisive spirit of man.

Man's will serves self, seeks gain at the expense of others and defines good and evil to self justify acts pursuing the aforementioned. God's will loves neighbour as self and is the polar opposite to man's will. There is your real bipolar world. God's will seeks nothing for self.

Work on that concept for a while and if you feel the need to find a denomination to meld you into their image, then seek one that best serves the will of God and not the will of man. Not an easy thing to do.

Be careful. Christianity went back to serving the will of man almost 1700 years ago when it rejoined the State after centuries of trying to legitimize yet another institution of man (while the real Christians simply lived the ways of the Kingdom). This is not to say there aren't good people in Christianity. It is to say the scales within are tipped in favour of the will of man.

Focus not on human theology but on Jesus and loving all neighbours as self, and you can't go wrong. Truth is in scripture, not religion. Religion can serve either side, manor God. Of course the world of man will hate you for not playing by their rules but that particular divisiveness is what it is all about.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

idkMyName

Dec 31, 2018
Dallas
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Basically everyone believes everyone else is wrong. I say find somewhere that doesn't violate anything you believe that you find in your own studies, as you grow and learn you may want to move on.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I say find somewhere that doesn't violate anything you believe that you find in your own studies

Do you agree that is Jesus and scripture containing His Gospel of the Kingdom, not theology's definition of such, which creates thousands of denominations focusing on everything but?

Upvote 0

idkMyName

Dec 31, 2018
Dallas
✟7,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you agree that is Jesus and scripture containing His Gospel of the Kingdom, not theology's definition of such, which creates thousands of denominations focusing on everything but?

Yes, but I do believe there is a truth, it's just many people get caught up in thinking their interpretation and method, is the right one, and then end up condemning others based on nothing more than their method.

I try to study for myself and let scripture define itself.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Hey Bipolargirl, you have just as much a right to start your own cult (short for culture) or denomination as any of the other ones...if you feel so inclined. In fact, in your case, it may be necessary.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Generally denominations don't claim to be the only true church.

I would hope not, for any denomination of man is not a church but an institution built upon the same principles as every other institution of man.

The church were people living their lives loving neighbour as self, putting the will of God before man. Nothing more. A way of life, not a religion. No need for theology which is nothing more than human philosophy about religion. The teachings of Jesus by themselves have always been quite adequate without the need of a middleman organization to introduce interpretations. What is it about putting the will of God before the will of self serving man and loving neighbour as self, that needs interpretation resulting in denominations?

Upvote 0