• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Questions about an idolaterous Pope.

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Thatgirloncfforums, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Thatgirloncfforums

Thatgirloncfforums Well-Known Member

+687
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Private
    @chevyontheriver and anyone else,

PSX_20211127_170838.jpg

Can a man not partake of the Eucharist and still be pope? How is he suppose to offer the sacrifice or is partaking not a part of the sacrifice? Also, I understand that sin does not invalid the action of a priest, but in every other case, a priest would be forbidden to offer the Eucharist if he was excommunicated. Right?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,306
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    First, the title of this thread deals with a 'heretical' pope. Pope Francis has been confusing and unclear on many occasions. So far he has not been judged guilty of heresy, and is thus not a formal heretic. Even his critics seldom go so far as to call him heretical. We haven't gotten to that point yet. Some things that he has said are wrong, some unwise, many unclear, but we aren't quite there yet in calling pope Francis a heretic. It is imprudent to overstep and refer to him as a heretic. At least at this point. I hope we don't have to go there, but we aren't there yet. So this discussion should be hypothetical.

The Pachamama thing really does appear to have been idolatry. I don't know what else to call it. But an idolater is not a heretic and a heretic is not an idolater. Not necessarily. To be a heretic one must teach false things in a public way. Idolatry and heresy are not equivalent things. Being a heretic and a sinner are also not equivalent things.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member Supporter

+7,109
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    If the mass depends only on Christ and His power alone (As we see in the OP) - then it leaves the door open for the idea that any person could perform the mass.

4. chevyontheriver

+12,306
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Then Jesus chose everybody as apostles instead of twelve. But He chose twelve.

5. narnia59

narnia59 Regular Member Supporter

+802
    Catholic
    Married
    If you've not read Tim Staples view of the Pachamama thing, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

Pope Francis Commits a Sin of Idolatry with Pachamama? - TimStaples.com

6. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    Ok. Well, I can't change the title of this thread, so...just pretend it's changed to idolater.

7. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  8. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    I think what Chevy meant to say is that the priesthood is a Sacrament (grace+physical sign). It's not something the man in the white robe does for himself. Rather, he receives the grace of the priesthood from God, through the laying on of hands and not through his own personal merit or achievement. Also, the priest is suppose to disappear as it were. He stands in persona Christi.

9. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    @chevyontheriver
    PSX_20211127_205820.jpg

Ok. So who forbids the Pope from saying Mass and why haven't they done so (if he's been judged an idolater)? And should we be participating in papal Masses? I understand that the Masses are still valid, but isn't attending his Masses just encouraging him to continue in his idolatry?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  10. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    @chevyontheriver
    Has Pope Francis been judged guilty of idolatry and who makes that judgement and why?

11. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
  12. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    Let's say for argument sake that a demon appeared to the people of South America calling itself, 'mother earth'. Are the depictions we see in the Vatican how that demon appeared to people? Are those depictions inspired by demons?

13. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    PSX_20211127_213622.jpg

Goddess Leto with twins Artemis and Apollo. Reminds me of Mary with Christ and John the Baptist.

14. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    PSX_20211127_215700.jpg

15. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
  16. chevyontheriver

+12,306
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I think I could have been convinced of Tim Staples' position if the Pachamamas and the planted bowls had not ended up on consecrated altars. And had there not been prostrations to the Pachamama figures. I get inculturation. Cautious inculturation. But some things cannot be inculturated. Moloch doesn't get to be inculturated. Golden calves don't get to be inculturated. Just perhaps what went on in the Vatican wasn't idolatry. But if it walks and talks like a duck maybe it is a duck. I think it was a duck.

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen” (1 Jn 5:21).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    I asked a Ute friend of mine about Pachamama. He has family and friends down that way and will get back to me on whether or not it is an idol.

18. chevyontheriver

+12,306
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    What would your 'friend' have in the way of anything objective and beyond just an opinion?

19. Thatgirloncfforums

+687
    United States
    Private
    He's Ute (native American) as is his family.

20. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Ate all the treats

+521
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Out of all the videos I've seen, not one was incriminating of Francis. There was some kind of ecumenical gathering in a garden at the Vatican, I suppose, with South American peoples who were a little too South American, culturally speaking, for some of a more traditionalist mindset.

Granted, I don't really get the Vatican in all of these affairs, the emphasis on cultural integration and all of that, but to me it all appeared to be more of an opportunity for shenanigans to find dirt on Francis than anything directly incriminating. Where do you draw the line between culture, and non-christian religion, anyways? There is a lot of blurring of the lines that is possible by both sides in any of these situations.

Then there was the video of the hero who nabbed an image of pachamama which had been apparently placed near the altar of his local parish before throwing them in the Tiber. But, seriously, anybody could have placed it there. I'm not sure that I trust that the Vatican has more incentive to put a pachamama image anywhere near an altar than some guy who wants to become famous for posting a youtube video.

And then, when attempting to read up to get some sense of clarification, all I could find were accusations, handwaving and obscuring of details. My perspective as all of that was unfolding, was that the situation consisted of something like 90% drama.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021