Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The article stated that she eventually was involved in ministry---teaching young children. It's there in the OP.
My apology for forgetting it did specify teaching young children, but that does not address my previous question about people who are committing adultery, doing drugs, etc. still teaching young children. IOW's just because she is teaching young children doesn't mean her life has changed. I am not saying it hasn't, the OP says that it did, but what I am saying is that it needs to be a change in the power of the HS not the self powered change that most people try, otherwise, it is meaningless. In fact, that is why teaching young children doesn't have any meaning to our discussion because that does not tell us how her life was changed. It's all in a previous post I made, did you miss that one too?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
okay, I'll answer the questions in a moment but first, what I don't understand. I have said from the beginning to now, that I see no problem with church members talking to the couple about the potential problems that will arise in such a marriage. Problems like...the pharisees in our midst, (more of the answers you asked for) judgments from unbelievers or the immature, temptations to return to the old life, etc. but you inflate that somehow into something it isn't. Everyone that answered the hypothetical question presented, answered that they would warn their children of the potential dangers (again, what I said) the only discrepancy seems to be that the church was the one offering the warning. So maybe, the discussion disagreements are more about what the role of the church is in the believers life, than about the completeness of forgiveness? Want to start a new thread?
No.....I don't want to start a new thread, because that's the topic of this thread (the role of the church & the completeness of forgiveness). Those topics aren't mutually exclusive--they are the same topic. The forgiveness ought to be demonstrated by the church. That's where we should be experiencing God's love.

The warnings you keep mentioning that you believe the church should have been passing on to this pastor's son? Am I understanding you? Are you saying they should warn him about the wrongful judgment of unbelievers, the self-righteous, and the immature....and the temptation to go back to her old ways?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No.....I don't want to start a new thread, because that's the topic of this thread (the role of the church & the completeness of forgiveness). Those topics aren't mutually exclusive--they are the same topic. The forgiveness ought to be demonstrated by the church. That's where we should be experiencing God's love.
okay, let's get into the role of the church according to scripture should we? You seem to want to keep skirting around the issue. I will provide scriptures for anything you want to question. There is one main purpose of the church to the believer, that of encouraging one another unto righteousness. this includes but is not limited to confession, prayer, and church discipline. We see it lived out in things like, church discipline, discipleship, teaching, counseling, correction, etc. In fact, we see in scripture that we are to correct gently. We also see that we are to correct so that we ourselves do not fall. Now many people are afraid of correction, confession, and discipline when it comes to the church, but they are all important to the health of the church and for good reason, because they encourage us unto....what is the purpose of the church?...righteousness.

Now, let's take the OP question and apply it to what scripture tells us about the purpose of the church to the believer. As I said and clarified many times over, I don't see a problem with the church going to the couple and saying, here are some of the potential pitfalls that you might endure with this union. Some here, try to proclaim this should not come from the church but rather from family. But what else does scripture say about the church? It says that we are family, that we are brothers and sisters and are to be close enough relation to greet one another with a holy kiss. In fact, though we are many, scripture says, we are one body, a body that Hebrews tells us is to have the goal of presenting all it's members mature in Christ.

So how does this discussion of the possible pitfalls mature the body? Well, just like the old brethren teaching about counting the cost, the couple can now make their decisions based on the wisdom of their spiritual family as well as being prepared for some of the many things that will seek to destroy their relationship and ministry. In addition, they know that if they go threw with their plans (which is totally up to them) the church will 1. be praying for them (one of the duties of the church) 2. hold them accountable (another duty of the church) and 3. encourage them to continue on when things seem to be falling apart (yet another duty of the church)

Shall we go on, or is that enough food for thought for the moment?
The warnings you keep mentioning that you believe the church should have been passing on to this pastor's son? Am I understanding you? Are you saying they should warn him about the wrongful judgment of unbelievers, the self-righteous, and the immature....and the temptation to go back to her old ways?
those are some of them yes...there are others, but that is a small sampling. Sins of our past have a funny way of coming back to haunt us, sometimes those hauntings are from the world, the immature, the judgment of others. Sometimes those hauntings are our own sinful nature, also called temptations. I just finished a deep study on temptations, let me point out two of the many things I studied 1. ever man is tempted by one or more of three things, we see it in Eve, right down through Christ and it is summed up beautifully in I John 2:16, the three areas of temptation are A. the lust of the eyes, B. the lust of the flesh, and C. the pride of life. 2. Where temptation comes from. James 1:14 tells us that each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desires and enticed, then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sins and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death. Thus, among other evils that will befall such a marriage as in judgment, pharisees, etc. are our own evil desires. These include but are not limited to the things or evils if you will that we are taught. For example, given the opportunity, I would caution a family in our church (the boys anyway) when looking to marry of the things their father taught them about disrespecting women but especially the wife, adultery, responsibility, etc. since it is apparent that the sins of the father have been passed down and scripture says that this will happen for many generations. You see, it isn't just a warning to those with promiscuous pasts, but to all with sins in the past that could destroy the marriage from within. IN NO WAY DOES THAT EQUAL JUDGMENT OF THE SINS, OR DECLARATION OF WHAT THE COUPLE SHOULD DO WHEN IT COMES TO GETTING MARRIED. Rather it is to live out scripture when it tells us to be a body.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Imo, the problem with dishing out "correction" is that those who do it are the very same ones who think they alone are qualified to issue it and yet at the same time exempt from receiving it.

This young man in the OP does not need "correction" or even "warning." He is not doing anything sinful by marrying her. If this was a sin issue, this might be different where he would need "correction" if it were an ongoing issue with sin. But the man in the OP does not need corrections or warnings based on something she did in the past and is unlikely to pose an issue in the future because her life has produced much spiritual fruit since her conversion.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My apology for forgetting it did specify teaching young children, but that does not address my previous question about people who are committing adultery, doing drugs, etc. still teaching young children. IOW's just because she is teaching young children doesn't mean her life has changed. I am not saying it hasn't, the OP says that it did, but what I am saying is that it needs to be a change in the power of the HS not the self powered change that most people try, otherwise, it is meaningless. In fact, that is why teaching young children doesn't have any meaning to our discussion because that does not tell us how her life was changed. It's all in a previous post I made, did you miss that one too?

I'm not going to go back to sift through all the previous posts to try to figure out your previous question (I'm going to respond based on *this* post).

First----I'd hope that if she's teaching children her life has truly changed (the article implies it *had*---using adjectives like "faithful", so we *should* go by what the article does relay about the facts).

Second---The church (and the congregation) should have stricter requirements for who teaches their children compared to whom the pastor's son marries. I believe VG already brought this up---minors can't make their own decisions, their minds aren't formed to allow for them to do so. Minors rely on the adults around them to make informed choices in order to protect them. The pastor's son, OTOH, is an adult---and should be left to make his *own* informed decisions. Pointing out that the fiance in the story is teaching children at the church is to highlight the different standards the congregation has. It *does* have significant meaning to our discussion.

Third---About the power of the Holy Spirit compared to the works of humans? That's what I was bringing up earlier about knowing the difference. That's something that we all should know (how to distinguish the difference). That's what I meant by "knowing the different fruit" ("good fruit" and "bad fruit"). We all know the verse about what the fruit of the Spirit looks like.....right (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control)? It seems to me that's not the description of this congregation's judgement.

I realize I put a lot of points in one post. I hope that's not a hindrance.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Imo, the problem with dishing out "correction" is that those who do it are the very same ones who think they alone are qualified to issue it and yet at the same time exempt from receiving it.

This young man in the OP does not need "correction" or even "warning." He is not doing anything sinful by marrying her. If this was a sin issue, this might be different where he would need "correction" if it were an ongoing issue with sin. But the man in the OP does not need corrections or warnings based on something she did in the past and is unlikely to pose an issue in the future because her life has produced much spiritual fruit since her conversion.

Exactly.

I'll just add that while she's (the engaged gal in the article) demonstrating (according to the article) true fruit of the Spirit (in the author's use of the word, "faithful")---the people in the congregation are demonstrating a self-righteous and prideful attitude (which is like the yeast of the Pharisees). That's what I was trying to express earlier. So.....who is in the "right".....and who *should* be receiving correction (not that they'd receive it)?

We have a biblical account of Christ speaking out against the yeast of the Pharisees---but do we *ever* have an account of Him warning against marrying someone that has turned away from sin? Because......I don't believe you will find that in the Bible----anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sins that we have repented of and have been forgiven for only haunt us when the sinful world can't let them go.
Exactly. And who are those people aligning with at that moment (it's not God and His will)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and yet, what does scripture say? A wise man finds correction to be a good thing...maybe there should be a rule that only those that can accept correction should be giving it?
not sure what this has to do with the discussion, but cool, thanks for pointing it out even though it wasn't in question.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
and yet, what does scripture say? A wise man finds correction to be a good thing.

But....not when the one being corrected isn't in the wrong.

not sure what this has to do with the discussion, but cool, thanks for pointing it out even though it wasn't in question.

It has *everything* to do with the topic of discussion. If it's not in question....then what is your point? Why bring up all the good of correction (and how that's wise)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just found this article that describes the yeast of the Pharisees (and I think it's pertinent):

The yeast of the Pharisees is narrow-minded religious exclusivism, it is sectarianism. It is the attitude that says only those who believe and behave like us are saved, everyone else is damned or at least of no consequence. The yeast of the Pharisees makes people more concerned about who is ‘in’ and who is ‘out’ that just trying to get on and do the will of God. It makes people continually define themselves over against others: it makes them assume for instance that the main thing about being Catholic is not being Protestant – or vice versa.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
razzelflabben said:
likewise, it is NOT "unspiritual" to warn a young man what could happen as the result of marrying someone with a promiscuous past. It seems some of us are forgetting what the OP is asking us to discuss.

I had to go back and find this because I think I see the disconnect now.

This wasn't a case of simply "warning" this guy.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I had to go back and find this because I think I see the disconnect now.

This wasn't a case of simply "warning" this guy.

Right. From the OP
This is when the problem began. You see, about one half of the church did not think that a woman with a past such as hers was suitable for a pastor's son.

It was a judgement on the part of [half] the church that she was not "suitable." It was not a "warning" and it was not "correction". It was out and out judgement. She was good enough to teach their children, but not good enough to marry the pastor's son. It was judging whether or not she was "suitable."

Either way, it is not appropriate. He is not sinning by marrying her, he is not at risk for marrying her (if they paid any attention at all in health class in high school, they already know the dangers of STD's). He does not need correction or warning, and he certainly does not need the church judging whether or not she was "suitable" just because she had a past.

Good thing we as the bride of Christ are not judged for our past otherwise we would not ever have the covenantal relationship with Jesus....not one of us. But HE makes us clean by washing with the water of the Word....just as the pastor's son is called to do with his wife when he marries her.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally......I've considered that this story could be completely fictional (in fact, I HOPE it is). That doesn't change the discussion (in my opinion).

ETA--I don't read the last few posts as "arguing" (or debating). I agree with PW and VG. No debate here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep this is common on CF as it is anywhere where there are many christians together. We all have tendencies to judge others. Although most christians tend to forget the bible does talk about correction of a brother or sister in the Lord. But like alot of verses people twist it to make sure anything you say about them is REALLY judging not correction. Its why I tend to say people who say they feel judged may actually be feeling convicted by God, but instead of accepting its conviction they turn it around on you. Not that people don't judge sometimes just to judge regardless of if right or wrong.

People don't usually change, but sometimes they do.
Well to that I'd say thats not always true. Most christians came from somewhere different right? We all have changed (and continue to change). I've learned that we should always have hope that people can change. Because if we don't have hope then we are doubting the power of God and His ability to change people. If someone was a prostitute as the article said, it doens't mean they will always be one. And it doens't mean we have to hang it over their head. We all do bad things. Sin is sin. People can change. Although as we get older change does become harder. But its still possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Tenderness is what transforms.
~ Gregory Boyle
Just reminding myself of the message I heard the other day. In contrast to the typical criticism (like in the article in the OP).....there is the response of tenderness and care. Isn't that much more unusual---set apart---most like Christ?

The thing I’m reflecting on a lot these days is the tenderness of God. If love is the answer, community is the context, then tenderness is the methodology, the delivery system…. Tenderness is the most foreign thing there is and the most reflective of the kind of God we have.~Fr. Gregory Boyle

"Be compassionate as God is compassionate,' means the dismantling of barriers that exclude.”
― Gregory Boyle, Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion

If that congregation (half of it, anyway) is going to continue to hold this gal's past against her---since she can never go back and change her past---she will never be 'accepted' or included into their "in" group. That doesn't seem to be reflective of Christ's ways (to me).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up. If your post is missing, it is because it was in violation of the rules or responding to a post that was.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. If you find another member is difficult or argumentative, put them on ignore. You do not need to respond to them.

2. If you are flamed by another member, do not flame in response. In fact, report the post and do not respond to the member at all. Do not post about them either. In other words, do not engage in the fight.

3. Stay away from sentences that start with "you" and can be viewed as about a member here in a negative way.

The thread is being reopened. Keep it civil.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If that congregation (half of it, anyway) is going to continue to hold this gal's past against her---since she can never go back and change her past---she will never be 'accepted' or included into their "in" group. That doesn't seem to be reflective of Christ's ways (to me).

I think this is the key thing. While Christ certainly admonished sinners to "sin no more", he didn't hold grudges or consider them less than worthy.

If you look at a lot of the people called to serve God, they weren't sinless.

There's a phrase that's rather appropriate:

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called

That's a bit of a paraphrase but I think it fits.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.