Questioning & The All Knowing (Genesis 18:20-23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
I was just wondering what some of you thought of Abraham's questioning of God's decision to destroy Sodom in Genesis 18. The fact that he questioned God is the focus of my question. In addition to that, what about God being all knowing, which I believe He is, and verse 21, which implies He has to go and see if what He heard about Sodom is true. Does this seem like God was not sure of what He heard. What are your thoughts on these two questions? Thanks and much love and blessings.

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, as for the first, don't we do the same in prayer all the time? In my opinion, God wants us to ask because by taking an active role in what happens, we learn what is God's will better. If we just kick back and think "Oh, God will do whatever He is going to do anyway" we don't learn from that the same way we do when we're involved, whatever the outcome may be.

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Breanainn said:
Well, as for the first, don't we do the same in prayer all the time? In my opinion, God wants us to ask because by taking an active role in what happens, we learn what is God's will better. If we just kick back and think "Oh, God will do whatever He is going to do anyway" we don't learn from that the same way we do when we're involved, whatever the outcome may be.
So, what do you think Abraham learned from knowing God wanted to destroy the righteous with the wicked and then talking God out of doing so, so to speak?

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Breanainn said:
That God is merciful, that he cares about people, that he is a personal God, that he responds to us, etc. It's not necessarily that Abraham didn't know this before (I haven't read Genesis in a while), but this would strengthen that, don't you think?
I think Abraham learned that, but do you think God wanted him to question him? I mean, do you really think God was going to destroy the righteous with the wicked had Abraham not questioned him? Would you have questioned God if you were in Abe's shoes?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.