Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So to start off. I am way behind when it comes to discovering artists. I realize that Lauren Daigle has been around for a little while now. I just discovered her myself more recently. By hearing others singing her songs. Which I have heard for a while now. Just never knew they were Laurens music. So I have started listening to Lauren just very recently and started seeing people bring questionable things up in the comments she has said in interviews. Which I further went into listening to.

First and foremost. I understand as Christians we certainly need to be careful what and who we are listing to and letting in. That said. We should also realize no ones perfect and even those who are speakers or singers or anyone who is speaking or singing to a large crowd are not perfect. And non of us has it 100% right. But we need to hold people accountable still for what they are teaching and preaching. Any sphere of influence anyway.

So as far as Lauren goes. The 2 biggest things I have seen were 2 interviews she had. One where she was questioned about her stance on gays and sin. And other one. And really the lack she has in really talking much about Jesus or giving him the credit. I know it is easy to judge people and sometimes we don't always say things right or what is right anyway.

Anyway. Just wondering about peoples thoughts on her and maybe some others that might be questionable?!

Last edited:

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟198,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So to start off. I am way behind when it comes to discovering artists. I realize that Lauren Daigle has been around for a little while now. I just discovered her myself more recently. By hearing others singing her songs. Which I have heard for a while now. Just never knew they were Laurens music. So I have started listening to Lauren just very recently and started seeing people bring questionable things up in the comments she has said in interviews. Which I further went into listening to.

First and foremost. I understand as Christians we certainly need to be careful what and who we are listing to and letting in. That said. We should also realize no ones perfect and even those who are speakers or singers or anyone who is speaking or singing to a large crowd are not perfect. And non of us has it 100% right. But we need to hold people accountable still for what they are teaching and preaching. Any sphere of influence anyway.

So as far as Lauren goes. The 2 biggest things I have seen were 2 interviews she had. One where she was questioned about her stance on gays and sin. And other one. And really the lack she has in really talking much about Jesus or giving him the credit. I know it is easy to judge people and sometimes we don't always say things right or what is right anyway.

Anyway. Just wondering about peoples thoughts on her and maybe some others that might be questionable?!
Not sure if this post has been seen. I may have done it wrong.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

My perspective is that I'm glad when people put out quality positive music. All the better if it's spiritually uplifting. I think if we create a standard of "only people who fit all this criteria are allowed" then there would be even less positive/Christian music. Lauren has talent. I like the tone of her voice. God gave her that. It's good to appreciate what God has created.

Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟198,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

My perspective is that I'm glad when people put out quality positive music. All the better if it's spiritually uplifting. I think if we create a standard of "only people who fit all this criteria are allowed" then there would be even less positive/Christian music. Lauren has talent. I like the tone of her voice. God gave her that. It's good to appreciate what God has created.
I am not speaking in concern of her talent. She does indeed have a great gift. I am more worried about her answers to things and influence. Even though it is just a movie quote. I think the quote from Spiderman's Uncle " With great power comes great responsibility. In her case. With great influence comes great responsibility. I am not saying she needs to be or should be perfect. But what she says does matter. And being a so called light for the Lord. She really doesn't talk about the Lord much in her interviews. On some level I can give her a pass for not knowing everything or being well learned in the word with questions she answers. But just how she speaks of things. You don't see her give much thanks in her interviews much to God. But is quick to do so with other influences. Then there is her website. You can go on there and you would never know she was a Christian. I may sound like I am being to hard or judgemental. But we are called to be calling each other out so to speak. I am not in her life to do so of course. But I think it is important for us as Christians to speak out about concerns of people who have a large influence.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am not speaking in concern of her talent. She does indeed have a great gift. I am more worried about her answers to things and influence. Even though it is just a movie quote. I think the quote from Spiderman's Uncle " With great power comes great responsibility. In her case. With great influence comes great responsibility. I am not saying she needs to be or should be perfect. But what she says does matter. And being a so called light for the Lord. She really doesn't talk about the Lord much in her interviews. On some level I can give her a pass for not knowing everything or being well learned in the word with questions she answers. But just how she speaks of things. You don't see her give much thanks in her interviews much to God. But is quick to do so with other influences. Then there is her website. You can go on there and you would never know she was a Christian. I may sound like I am being to hard or judgemental. But we are called to be calling each other out so to speak. I am not in her life to do so of course. But I think it is important for us as Christians to speak out about concerns of people who have a large influence.
“I feel like those labels get put on you by other people,” Daigle said. “I was reading articles, I read them here and there, and one of them said Christian artist and the other ones said just artist. But I think part of me is just an artist because it encompasses everything. That’s kind of how I see myself.”

While I'm not an expert on her, the above quote makes it seem like she never wanted the Christian artist label. People may have expected her whole career would be a kind of gospel ministry like Third Day or Casting Crowns. Apparently, that wasn't what she had in mind. I do personally prefer her music when it is Christian. It's her life though. The only thing I can do to influence her, or any other musician, is by listening to and appreciating the songs I like.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I try not to look at songs as being "part of" the artist who sings them. I'm not crazy about some of the things Lauren has done and said, either. But her songs touch me deeply and have strengthened my faith and drawn me closer to God. So I continue to enjoy her songs, because the songs are wonderful. Her own stance with God is between her and Him, and doesn't affect me.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I don't know what she has said exactly in interviews, can you point or link to an interview she has given.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what she has said exactly in interviews, can you point or link to an interview she has given.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/entert...e-with-the-label-lsquo-christian-artist-rsquo
“I feel like those labels get put on you by other people,” Daigle said. “I was reading articles, I read them here in there, and one of them said Christian artist and the other ones said just artist. But I think part of me is just an artist because it encompasses everything. That’s kind of how I see myself.”

Interestingly enough, the young artist did not mention Jesus or God throughout the interview, sticking to general phrases like “faith,” while placing a large emphasis on the importance of love.

Lauren Daigle and the Lost Art of Discernment
This week, another radio host asked her directly about whether she believed that homosexuality was sinful, and Daigle responded that she wasn’t sure.

“I can’t honestly answer on that,” Daigle said. “In a sense, I have too many people that I love that they are homosexual. I don’t know. I actually had a conversation with someone last night about it. I can’t say one way or the other. I’m not God.”

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/entert...e-with-the-label-lsquo-christian-artist-rsquo
“I feel like those labels get put on you by other people,” Daigle said. “I was reading articles, I read them here in there, and one of them said Christian artist and the other ones said just artist. But I think part of me is just an artist because it encompasses everything. That’s kind of how I see myself.”

Interestingly enough, the young artist did not mention Jesus or God throughout the interview, sticking to general phrases like “faith,” while placing a large emphasis on the importance of love.

Lauren Daigle and the Lost Art of Discernment
This week, another radio host asked her directly about whether she believed that homosexuality was sinful, and Daigle responded that she wasn’t sure.

“I can’t honestly answer on that,” Daigle said. “In a sense, I have too many people that I love that they are homosexual. I don’t know. I actually had a conversation with someone last night about it. I can’t say one way or the other. I’m not God.”

I read she directed people to the Bible to find the answer for themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read she directed people to the Bible to find the answer for themselves.

It's still a disappointing reply from her, on both questions. Christians are supposed to be ready with an answer for matters of faith, and never ashamed of the gospel.

I think her celebrity and fame went to her head somewhat, which is sadly very common for successful Christian musicians.

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's still a disappointing reply from her, on both questions. Christians are supposed to be ready with an answer for matters of faith, and never ashamed of the gospel.

I think her celebrity and fame went to her head somewhat, which is sadly very common for successful Christian musicians.

Honestly I think the [second] question she was asked would have taken her into minefield, sometimes an interviewer doesn't even know what they mean by their question, nor have given the matter much thought themselves. When it hasn't been established in the course of a discussion what they mean by "homsexuality", "sinful" etc. - how is one to answer without asking "What do you mean?"

Must one have knowledge of sin before coming to Jesus or does our coming to him bring us that knowledge?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Honestly I think the [second] question she was asked would have taken her into minefield, sometimes an interviewer doesn't even know what they mean by their question, nor have given the matter much thought themselves. When it hasn't been established in the course of a discussion what they mean by "homsexuality", "sinful" etc. - how is one to answer without asking "What do you mean?"

Must one have knowledge of sin before coming to Jesus or does our coming to him bring us that knowledge?

She was already an established "Christian artist" at that point. If she's more concerned about her fan base, her fame, her paycheck, than speaking openly for Christ, that's a problem, and that's what caused so many of her Christian fans to lose respect for her. I think it's pretty plain what anyone means by "homosexuality" and "sin"; the words are not confusing, particularly for someone in Christian circles.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
She was already an established "Christian artist" at that point. If she's more concerned about her fan base, her fame, her paycheck, than speaking openly for Christ, that's a problem, and that's what caused so many of her Christian fans to lose respect for her. I think it's pretty plain what anyone means by "homosexuality" and "sin"; the words are not confusing, particularly for someone in Christian circles.

Not really. For instance what do you mean by sin and homosexuality? You don't know her reasons or motives for answering the way she did, you don't know if she is clear in her own mind on the matter. What about those leaders and even Bishops in the church who teach stuff very contrary to the Bible, deny the Bible is God's Word etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not really. For instance what do you mean by sin and homosexuality? You don't know her reasons or motives for answering the way she did, you don't know if she is clear in her own mind on the matter. What about the leaders and even Bishops in the church who teach stuff very contrary to the Bible, deny the Bible is God's Word etc?

Someone who "isn't clear in their own mind" on something as basic as what sin is, really shouldn't be representing Christ as a musician or artist then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Someone who "isn't clear in their own mind" on something as basic as what sin is, really shouldn't be representing Christ as a musician or artist then.

I didn't say that, I said if she isn't sure herself (if homosexuality is sinful) then she was being honest. I said we don't know what the interview meant by sinful etc, because people can just parrot words and questions, which I believe sum's up the state of much of the debate. It might be quite reasonable to ask these days: what exactly do you mean? For instance what are we talking about when we talk about homosexuality - same sex attractions that someone doesn't act on, or genital acts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say that, I said if she isn't sure herself (if homosexuality is sinful) then she was being honest. I said we don't know what the interview meant by sinful etc, because people can just parrot words and questions, which I believe sum's up the state of much of the debate. It might be quite reasonable to ask these days: what exactly do you mean? For instance what are we talking about when we talk about homosexuality - same sex attractions that someone doesn't act on, or genital acts?

You did say that, I was quoting you directly.

But I think this is getting a bit off topic from the OP.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You did say that, I was quoting you directly.

But I think this is getting a bit off topic from the OP.

I don't think its off topic, I was discussing why she might have said she didn't know if it was sinful

And I said she may have not been clear in her own mind on the matter (the matter being whether homoseuxality is sinful). I didn't say she may not have known what sin means. She could well know what sin is biblically and yet not be sure if everything that comes under the banner of homosexuality is sinful.

CS Lewis could say "every disability contains a vocation". He said this with reference to homosexuality, in a letter to Sheldon Vanakuen (please read linked article). Homosexuality he thought should be offered to God and His guidance sought how to use it. Lewis held that to seek physical satifisfaction of homosexual desires is a sin.

A Letter from C.S. Lewis on Christian Piety and Homosexuality

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can't tell from what was posted what the actual question was (radio host asked her directly about whether she believed that homosexuality was sinful). Some conservative theologians have concluded that a homosexual orientation is not sinful, but acting on it is. Others have concluded the opposite. Whether an orientation itself is sinful is a pretty involved topic and answer to explain, and not one that many Christians find obvious.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back to the main topic. When picking music for our church, I never expected to agree with every belief of the singer or writer. If so, I would have to write all my own songs, and that would not be pleasant for the congregation. I expect the lyrics of what we are singing to be biblically supported and focused on praising or worshiping God. I would stay away from a song closely identified with a singer who had publicly damaged the Christian faith in some way, but that is about it.

Given that is the standard for songs used in worship, it holds even more so for someone doing contemporary Christian songs, which is the bulk of Lauren's Christian music.

I am even happier in some ways when I see Christians who are performing and writing for the secular music world as long as they don't go against biblical principles in their songs. Skillet is an obvious one, but they are pretty much a crossover into both worlds. Lauren has been working that crossover path as well. Some, like Beartooth, never do a true Christian song but the themes of their music do not oppose biblical teaching. It's good if someone likes them and ends up being drawn to faith ultimately when they learn the artist is also a Christian.

Upvote 0