Fox River Grove
✟8,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm new to this forum site and new to questioning my beliefs. Over the last year I've experienced terrible existential anxiety and became fearful for the end of my life, searching for proof that when this all ends I'll be with God and my family in heaven. When I think of my death I think of ceasing to exist.

Googles mix match of answers from "God can't exist! Here's why science says it can't!" To "Look at these psychics! God has to exist!" Are not helpful.

With all that going on, I also find myself searching out my friends who are believers and who aren't, I'm happy to be friends with them all, but it's like an obsession to me now, like it'll somehow confirm or affirm me. Their beliefs alone can't be my proof.

I find myself trying to find God and shove belief into myself, whereas I've never had to question God- I've believed as far back as I can remember, God was always just there and existed, and now I'm so worried that God might not that it's creating my anxiety to creep up again to the point of don't know what to do. Anxiety and depression and intrusive thoughts keep popping up and the root cause is this existential crisis I seem to be experiencing particularly centered around my belief system of God and Heaven.

I'm considering the faith counseling this site suggested, but any advice or information to ease my troubled soul I would greatly appreciate.

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh boy--I relate to this hard because I went through this same thing during my 'lukewarm' period.

I'm going to try to sum it up; Science is useful, but by no means does it explain the start or end of creation. I think you'd find the video "Why I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" by Frank Turek to be exactly what you need to hear right now. Secondly, please don't worry so much. I know it's easier said than done but worrying really only hinders us in all areas of life it'd seem. What I did to solve my fears was to study what the bible REALLY has to say, and learn more about Christianity as a whole. Dive into different denominations; learn why they exist, what they believe in, and what scripture has to say about it. The more you witness for yourself the complexity and realness of God's word, the more at ease you will feel.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find I believe from His Spirit And Word. He had to be born in Bethlehem but there were two Bethlehem’s. It was foretold that He would be born in the Bethlehem that was near Magdalena Eder. Magdalena Eder means the Tower of Flock and here the Lambs for temple sac rice were raised here. The name of Bethlehem means House of Bread and the Bread of Heaven came and was placed in a manger the feeding trough for the sheep to come and eat freely.

in the Book of Hebrews God the Father calls him God twice. God the Father also told, I think it was angels, to worship the Son.you are held in His hand and He has lost none your only job in all this is ti Be still and know He is God. The free gift of faith. Yours today designed to have our spirit lifted. To enjoy the Lord on this side of heaven even as He enjoys us. He has set a table for us in the presence of our enemies and He bids us to come and eat.

one last thing. The thorns in His crown are symbolic of sin. They were all meant to be branches but missed the mark.when the Lord came out of the Tomb He had nail marks on each wrist, nail marks on each ankle and the open wound in His side. His message to you and is quite beautiful. The Loed had a total of 5 wounds when resurrected what happened to the rest.the thorns are a pretty near perfect illustration of our sin.But the branches miss the mark and remain unfruitful.That is how sin is explained many times. But let’s look at this way. The Lord took the sin of all mankind and died for that sin. The only way the Lord could be resurrected with this sin is if His offering, of Himself, was acceptable to God the Father, the sacrifice would cause the sin to be paid for one paid for never to touch us again. Oh yes it told us one more important teaching. There were 5 wounds and 5 is the number of Grace and it was an act of the purest love, no Man may lay his life down without it being the greatest act of Love. The victory is the Lamb’s and He wants to enjoy you now and you to know Him now. He loves you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whether life after death exists will be known only after we die.

If it does not, then we will rest forever quiet in an eternal slumber unaware of its lack with no pain and no awareness.

If it does, then we win Pascal's Wager.

Don't worry, be happy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm new to this forum site and new to questioning my beliefs. Over the last year I've experienced terrible existential anxiety and became fearful for the end of my life, searching for proof that when this all ends I'll be with God and my family in heaven. When I think of my death I think of ceasing to exist.

Googles mix match of answers from "God can't exist! Here's why science says it can't!" To "Look at these psychics! God has to exist!" Are not helpful.

With all that going on, I also find myself searching out my friends who are believers and who aren't, I'm happy to be friends with them all, but it's like an obsession to me now, like it'll somehow confirm or affirm me. Their beliefs alone can't be my proof.

I find myself trying to find God and shove belief into myself, whereas I've never had to question God- I've believed as far back as I can remember, God was always just there and existed, and now I'm so worried that God might not that it's creating my anxiety to creep up again to the point of don't know what to do. Anxiety and depression and intrusive thoughts keep popping up and the root cause is this existential crisis I seem to be experiencing particularly centered around my belief system of God and Heaven.

I'm considering the faith counseling this site suggested, but any advice or information to ease my troubled soul I would greatly appreciate.

Avoid internet advice if at all possible.
Avoid advice from strangers who don't know you.
Don't get advice from chat forums.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The Bible is clear that creation itself bears witness to God's existence, as well as the complexity of life. Psalm 19 speaks of how the heavens declare the glory of God; Psalm 8 and Romans 1 speak of the same basic truth. The fact that there is an objective morality which man cannot escape, and man judges others by, despite the fact that he may want to deny that such even exists, is proof that there is an absolute standard of truth outside of man which man is bound to. There is no explanation for this besides that there is a Creator who is the essence of Truth, righteousness, and goodness whom we are accountable to. This is a knowledge that is not compatible with man's natural desire, yet we cannot escape from it. Moreover God has given us internal evidence in the Bible as well as historical evidence of the Bible's supernatural origin. It's there for any who really wants to investigate it.

You should ask yourself whether there is contention and controversy in yourself regarding what the God of the Bible demands of you, because as Romans 1 speaks of, such contention ("holding the truth in unrighteousness") will darken the heart and confuse the mind in relation to understanding who God is. This will produce shallow, vain concepts which denigrate God and tear down His glory to be replaced with other concepts which are unworthy of Him in light of who He actually is. But if you will call on Him and study His Word with objectivity, diligence, endurance, and no harbored darkness in your heart you will inevitably find Him and get right with Him.

"13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13) "6 Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." (Isaiah 55:6-7) ""20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen." (1 John 5:20-21) "1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us; 3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1 John chapter 1)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

In my experience, the sort of fear you're describing comes as a consequence of double-mindedness and spiritual compromise. When you love God with all of your being, as the First and Great Commandment enjoins us to do (Matthew 22:36-38), fear of death dissolves in a joyful expectation of an eternity with Him; when you are walking in constant and intimate communion with God, doubts about your heavenly home cannot crowd in upon you; when your life is lived in faithful, contented surrender to God, and you see His divine hand upon your life, existential angst has no ground within you in which to take root. "Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest," Jesus said. One of the great gifts of walking well with one's Maker is this peaceful place of rest that is found in Him. Life with the Saviour is not a nail-biting swirl of anxiety and uncertainty. Such things descend upon us when we have strayed from him into spiritual complacency, and idolatry, and sin.

No, their beliefs cannot make up for a real, personal, experience of God. The Bible says when we are walking well with God, He will convict us of sin (John 16:8), illuminate our minds to His truth (John 16:13), comfort us in times of sorrow and sickness (2 Corinthians 1:3-4), strengthen us in moments of temptation and trial (Ephesians 3:16), and produce in us the character of Christ (Romans 8:29; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Galatians 5:22-23). And when this is your common experience of God, doubt about your existence after the grave has no where to take root.

Anxiety and depression and intrusive thoughts keep popping up and the root cause is this existential crisis I seem to be experiencing particularly centered around my belief system of God and Heaven.

It isn't your belief system that is the problem but the lack of reality in your walk with God. He sounds like He is largely a proposition that you hold, a religious perspective or theory, rather than someone with whom you interact every day. If this is so, it is no wonder you fear for your eternal future. Heaven is anchored in God and so the less real God is to you, the less real heaven will seem.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

searching for proof

There are many scientific theories about how our universe began ... but they are in fact theories. The real fact is ... we don't know. The universe is too vast. The debate over this turned into that (in regard to "evolution" on earth) is a moot point.

Both scientists and people of faith agree whatever happened began in the cosmos.

The Bible is not a science book but rather focuses on relationships. Regardless whether God is ... or isn't .... the Word of God contains very good principles to live by. For me, there is too much wisdom (in regard to how we should treat one another) in the Word of God. What "wisdom" regarding our relationships with one another outside of christianity is there? Not much.

Neither can be indisputably proven.

However, the Word of God states we have the more sure word of prophecy.

2nd Peter 1:19
King James Version
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

It is not unusual for our faith to be shaken or tested. When that happens one needs to draw nearer to the Lord by diligently studying His Word and more time in prayer.

One either ties their beliefs to the material ... or to the spiritual. Either way we know, when one dies we do in fact turn to dust ... the question is ... is there life after earthly death?

Does the material promise anything? No.

We have eye witness accounts in the bible and many of those gave their lives and did not recant their testimonies of what they saw. We have documented history and archeology ... none of which have disproven biblical accounts ... but rather supports them.

C.S. Lewis puts it this way ...

Either Jesus was a liar, a lunatic or He was the Son of God.

The universe and life is very very complex .... so millions/billions of happen chances over millions/billions of years ... or design?

If design ... then there is a designer.

Creation Model Approach

May the Lord bring you peace and confidence in Him. Amen.

2 Corinthians 4:18
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen (physical/material), but on what is unseen (spiritual). For what is seen (physical/material) is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (spiritual).

Upvote 0