Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's an example:

Naked & Afraid of Love
Sixteen sexy singles bare it all for love in this 10-part dating series.

I've also seen ads for homosexual dating, asian beauties, and a few others.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is it just me, or does it seem to anybody else that certain ads popping up on this site have no business being on a Christian web site? I almost felt targeted for temptation at times.

I'm sure it is like that, although I don't see it due to adblocker. If you can I'd recommend uBlock Origin, the other one began allowing some ads or something stupid.

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The site needs to make money to stay up. And since they are using google ads, they will throw ads at you based on past viewing history and how that lines up with other users.

Not saying that is you, just that your usage patterns match others that clicked on those ads.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes it can be very bad. Also passing the buck... well it's sad. Christian site using ad block? Ads are how they money

Those talking about adblock was talking about the user using adblock, not the site.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There’s nothing I have done that should have made Google think I would want to click on a gay dating site. For Asian beauties, I’m not perfect so I’d have to think about that one.

Regardless, I don’t see these ads on other ad-based web sites. And I understand that they need to support the site and probably aren’t picking these ads. I just think there should be some way to filter certain things out. A dating site might be okay, but not a site for cheating. No Satanic or cult symbol things that might come out close to Halloween.

I just think that you might want to get more people to this site, and then someone logs on with a puritan fundamentalist mindset and they see a racy ad pop up, they may never return.

Oh, thanks to whoever gifted me the ad-blocking upgrade.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There’s nothing I have done that should have made Google think I would want to click on a gay dating site. For Asian beauties, I’m not perfect so I’d have to think about that one.

As I said, it is based on your web browsing habits, of which this site is one of them. I know of several Christians that are trying to ignore that kind of past. It doesn't mean you are looking or even gay, just that your browser history matches a pattern.

That said, it is flawed. I get ads for products I just looked at or bought online. After I bought it is a bad time to waste ad time on me about what I just bought!

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As I said, it is based on your web browsing habits, of which this site is one of them. I know of several Christians that are trying to ignore that kind of past. It doesn't mean you are looking or even gay, just that your browser history matches a pattern.

That said, it is flawed. I get ads for products I just looked at or bought online. After I bought it is a bad time to waste ad time on me about what I just bought!
Probably the chance youll be a repeat buyer of an item type is better than other more random targeting approaches?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I just think that you might want to get more people to this site, and then someone logs on with a puritan fundamentalist mindset and they see a racy ad pop up, they may never return.

The ads you see are often based on what you've been clicking on in the immediate past since they are indicative of your interests. I just bought sheets and quilt covers so I see ads for sheets and quilt covers on those sites where my ad blocker is turned off.

If your puritan fundamentalist friend gets racy ads on CF, chances are they are getting what they've been looking at. ;)

OB

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's why I paid $10 for the lifetime of no ads.
Agreed, CF doesn’t have control over what type of ads show up so I’d suggest becoming a CF supporter. It’s a win win. The ads go away and you support the forum all for just $10.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'm impressed/frightened that the system knows enough about me to get these targeted ads from the Los Angeles Metro line that's coming online in my neighborhood.

I don't know why, he admitted innocently, but I get a lot of women's clothing ads here that definitely push the boundaries of PG-13. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

22-0283_CLAX_Programmatic-ENG-300x600.jpg

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know how well Google separates interests from different people with the same IP address, especially if they lack unique identifiers via cookies. What this translates to is, if you're not looking for those sites, perhaps someone else in your home is, even if it's on their own computer. Or perhaps someone else, maybe a neighbor, is able to jump on your wifi.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
At the moment, I am getting ads for computer keyboards (I recently bought a new one after doing much Google Fu) and ads for Kitchen goods (I had to get a new digital thermometer recently).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do many Google searches for "Men in kilts."

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
At the moment, I am getting ads for computer keyboards (I recently bought a new one after doing much Google Fu) and ads for Kitchen goods (I had to get a new digital thermometer recently).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do many Google searches for "Men in kilts."

Played in a pipe band in high school. My OnlyFans subscription is very reasonably priced.

• Haha
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I don't know why, he admitted innocently, but I get a lot of women's clothing ads here that definitely push the boundaries of PG-13. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm sensing a really advanced marketing plan, because after all the flirty ads, now I'm getting wall to wall "How to End a Separation".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.