Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please understand I mean absolutely no disrespect, just a question.

And once answered, I'll leave.

I know there were "sects" of Pharisees.

Does anybody know to which "sect" Gamaliel belonged to?

Thank you.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.

God Bless

Till all are one.
There were two main schools of Pharisees. We had Beit (school or house) of Shammai and Beit Hillel. Shammai taught "letter of the law" and Hillel taught "spirit of the law."

Gamaliel was Hillel's grandson and thus Paul attended Beit Hillel. Even if Gamaliel was not mentioned, it is fairly easy to see that Paul went to Beit Hillel by the things he believed and said.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
There were two main schools of Pharisees. We had Beit (school or house) of Shammai and Beit Hillel. Shammai taught "letter of the law" and Hillel taught "spirit of the law."

Gamaliel was Hillel's grandson and thus Paul attended Beit Hillel. Even if Gamaliel was not mentioned, it is fairly easy to see that Paul went to Beit Hillel by the things he believed and said.
Not sure what you mean about Gamaliel not being mentioned?
Acts22v3.I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean about Gamaliel not being mentioned?
Acts22v3.I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
I said even if Gamaliel wasn't mentioned we can still know Paul went to Beit Hillel based on Paul's use of the Rules of Hillel not to mention some of the positions he takes. But Gamaliel is mentioned so it is a moot point. :)

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I said even if Gamaliel wasn't mentioned we can still know Paul went to Beit Hillel based on Paul's use of the Rules of Hillel not to mention some of the positions he takes. But Gamaliel is mentioned so it is a moot point. :)
Sorry Ken. I misread your clear English. Maybe its because I is English!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I said even if Gamaliel wasn't mentioned we can still know Paul went to Beit Hillel based on Paul's use of the Rules of Hillel not to mention some of the positions he takes. But Gamaliel is mentioned so it is a moot point.
By the same reasoning, we can also learn that the majority of the Pharisees our Lord had trouble with were from Beit Shammai.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Thank you.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Gamaliel was bet Hillel. Indeed, Gamaliel was the grandson of Hillel! Bet Hillel was the easier of the two schools, of which Jesus was a part. (It was bet Shammai that Jesus had so many problems with.)

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
Calling yourself a Pharisee does not mean you are a Pharisee. The Pharisees are Righteous!

Remove the Golden Statue! Remove the Golden Statue!

Hillel and Shammai

"...The Crisis Under Gaius Caligula, pages 254-256: "The reign of Gaius Caligula (37-41) witnessed the first open break between the Jews and the Julio-Claudian empire. Until then — if one accepts Sejanus' heyday and the trouble caused by the census after Archelaus' banishment — there was usually an atmosphere of understanding between the Jews and the empire ... These relations deteriorated seriously during Caligula's reign, and, though after his death the peace was outwardly re-established, considerable bitterness remained on both sides. ... Caligula ordered that a golden statue of himself be set up in the Temple in Jerusalem....."

Hillel and Shammai - Wikipedia

Darren Aronofsky's PI (1998) - The True Name of God

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums