Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi there! I'm doing research for some stuff and the topic of Orthodox Church became a thing and I was wondering if I'm allowed to ask you guys questions. No debate, no worries since I have no interest, just a desire for accuracy and knowledge.

If not, I'll just scour google as best as I can.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟751,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi there! I'm doing research for some stuff and the topic of Orthodox Church became a thing and I was wondering if I'm allowed to ask you guys questions. No debate, no worries since I have no interest, just a desire for accuracy and knowledge.

If not, I'll just scour google as best as I can.

Welcome to TAW, and as everyone already said, please feel free to ask. :)

There are numerous autocephalous Orthodox Churches in the USA that are in full communion. Among them is the Antiochian Orthodox Church:

Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

The Greek Orthodox Church:

Home - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

There are a few doozies of probably me,myself & I on the web too.

Forgive me ... did you possibly mean to reply to a different thread? Just checking. :)

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you!

My first question is one that's always bugged me:

In Eastern Europe (+Russia and Greece): there's each section like Romanian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, etc. Are they all pretty much the same? Or are the practices any different? I know Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria and Russia all celebrate Christmas in January.

And (sorry for second question), is Orthodox practice the same in the United States?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you!

My first question is one that's always bugged me:

In Eastern Europe (+Russia and Greece): there's each section like Romanian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, etc. Are they all pretty much the same? Or are the practices any different? I know Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria and Russia all celebrate Christmas in January.

And (sorry for second question), is Orthodox practice the same in the United States?

the faith is the same, but each local area does unique things on their own. Orthodoxy retains her theology, but baptizes local culture.

with the flood of mass migration to the US under communism and such, our situation is different unfortunately, where we have various jurisdictions which overlap which is not proper. however, as a uniquely American Orthodox example coming up, you can find Thanksgiving as a unique feast of the Church.

the jurisdictions in America will be one someday, it'll just take some time

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
the faith is the same, but each local area does unique things on their own. Orthodoxy retains her theology, but baptizes local culture.

with the flood of mass migration to the US under communism and such, our situation is different unfortunately, where we have various jurisdictions which overlap which is not proper. however, as a uniquely American Orthodox example coming up, you can find Thanksgiving as a unique feast of the Church.

the jurisdictions in America will be one someday, it'll just take some time

Thank you for your answer!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟751,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW, and as everyone already said, please feel free to ask. :)

No, I was providing reliable Orthodox Church websites in the USA that I thought the inquirer could use. I also wanted to caution that there are some websites out there that are unreliable.

There are of course other reliable church websites and I think the ones I gave have links to additional Orthodox sites like the OCA etc.

Forgive me ... did you possibly mean to reply to a different thread? Just checking. :)

My reply is wrapped up inside. I have trouble with these quote & reply boxes on my iPhone.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My reply is wrapped up inside. I have trouble with these quote & reply boxes on my iPhone.

Ah, understood then. :) I sometimes accidentally post in the wrong thread and wanted to lyk if that was the case. I see now what you meant. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How are prayer ropes used and are they commonly used?

Sorry for comparing it to the Catholic church, but is it much like the Rosary where there are certain prayers (such as Hail Mary's)?

Prayer ropes such as we use are a series of knots. Depending on how many times one wants to pray the prayer, there are ropes with 33 knots, 50 knots, 100 knots, 300 knots, etc. Longer ropes are used mostly by monastics.

They are just a tool. The prayer rope is held and each time the prayer is made, the fingers move to the next knot. They serve to count the prayers, when needed, and also are helpful to focus the mind so the prayer can be made without distractions.

Not everyone uses one, I'm sure, but I would guess most do to some degree.

The Catholic prayers on the Rosary are a bit different. I'm not that familiar with them, but as I understand it there are various things the person is supposed to focus on, imagine, and pray about when working through the Rosary. I think the Rosary prayers are focused on both Christ (especially His crucifixion) and His mother.

The purpose of the two is very different. Catholic rosaries I think are meant as reminders to make sure many prayers and thoughts are considered. Orthodox prayer ropes are used for an opposite purpose - to focus only and deeply on Christ and our basic need for Him, removing external thoughts and with the ultimate purpose of internalizing the prayer.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

My friend talks about the Orthodox church like it's an entity much like the Vatican. Is it?
No. Unlike the Vatican, we don't have a single "head" of the Church like the Roman Catholics do with the Pope. Now, there is a senior bishop among bishops known as the Ecumenical Patriarch who resides in Constantinople, but he is not "over" Orthodox outside of his own jurisdiction. He is sometimes erroneously referred to in the media as an "Orthodox Pope", but that is false.

How are prayer ropes used and are they commonly used?

Sorry for comparing it to the Catholic church, but is it much like the Rosary where there are certain prayers (such as Hail Mary's)?
Yes, and no.

Yes, prayer ropes are commonly used. Like ArmyMatt mentioned, the prayer used is the Jesus Prayer.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello everyone, Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it in Decemeber! (And for those of you who celebrate in January, I wish you a good Sunday this week).

I have another question since I'm getting conflicting answers, does the Orthodox church practice confession, or do something similar? I know it's believed that confessions should be between the person and God, and not between person and priest (or have I been told wrong?).

Upvote 0