Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
SimpleBeauty said:
Hi Everyone! I have a question. When you are a Christian, is it ok to read horror novels? I'm not sure if I am sinning or not.
:confused:

MY DEAR SISTER,

Perhaps this is a question better asked of God, as each person will doubtless have different opinions of the matter. Pray seriously about it and God will manifest His will to you. However, may i point out two things?--

#1. As a guideline for Christians, Saint Paul counsels:
"FINALLY, BRETHREN, WHATEVER THINGS ARE TRUE, WHATEVER THINGS ARE NOBLE, WHATEVER THINGS ARE JUST, WHATEVER THINGS ARE PURE, WHATEVER THINGS ARE LOVELY, WHATEVER THINGS ARE OF GOOD REPORT, IF THERE IS ANY VIRTUE AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING PRAISEWORTHY--MEDITATE ON THESE THINGS."(Philippians 4:8)
Do horror novels meet this criteria?

#2. Horror novels deal with things our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ died to save us from. Remember Lot's wife?

LOVE TO YOU IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

Jonahan

Father, Husband, Pastor, Geek
Apr 6, 2006
Texas
✟15,265.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
One classical defniition of sin is "that which seperates us from God". This is why many of the "is this a sin" questions must be answered with "that's between you and God".

A lot of this will depend on what horror novels you're reading. If you're looking for Stephen King type suspense, *I* don't think there's anything in Stephen King that *I* have read that has separated *me* from God. If that is what you like, I suggest you go to your local Christian bookstore and pick up anything by Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti. Both are Christian authors who write books based (usually and mostly) on Christian themes.

So, to answer your question a little more succintly, no, I don't think reading horror novels in and of itself is sinful. If there are other things going on, such as an innapropriate response to the reading, etc., then that really is something that you need to think about and discuss, as ephriam wrote, with God.

Blessings,

Jonathan

Upvote 0

Todd600RR

Mar 21, 2006
✟177.00
Faith
Christian
SimpleBeauty said:
Hi Everyone! I have a question. When you are a Christian, is it ok to read horror novels? I'm not sure if I am sinning or not.

I do not see a wrong with this. The danger is in what you are reading and how it affects your heart. If something in the book brings feelings of lust, anger or hatred then I think it should be avoided. I say if your conscience is telling you that what you are reading is wrong, it probably is.

Upvote 0

TexasGirl06

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
✟13,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a little question that I ask myself..... about music, clothing, a television show, movie, etc...

Does this ____________ glorify God?

If the answer is ever (no)....I do not purchase it, listen to it, watch it, etc....

Just my thoughts for you !
Be Blessed,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.