• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xxkingskidxx said:
I have found that being over stimulated can be a trigger for mania. I get so overwhelmed when there is alot of noise, loud music, and too much house work. What is a good way to stop the mania before it starts, if the meds lose their effect?:scratch:
Dear Xxkingskidxx

I found the meds to be effective at one level of stress.

They are not like the body that adjusts to the situation.

You have but one choice. Keep your stress level in the area covered by the meds.

I did find that if I pushed above my level that the mania was not as bad.

I knew it was there and didn't fight it. Dangerous!

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xxkingskidxx :hug: i have the same triggers. it depends on each situtation and it depends on us individually. even our tolerance levels vary all the time. we're so fickle :doh:
i do avoid certain things. some music, some sounds. everyone in my family knows my sound triggers. i get migraines too, so smells bug me. but though i keep my triggers in the back of my mind for warning signals; i live daily doing my best to live without worrying about them. on those crazy break through days, i'll pull the shades avoid bright lights, stick the 'do not disturb sign up' and aviod all noise (except sometimes worship music, and on those days, certain people know they can ignore the sign)... then i just work on my coping skills list or sleep. no biggie.

needing ministered too; takes us excepting we will have off days, but the reward is being cared for and caring for ourselves :angel: .

:groupray: see our coping thread, and add to it!
http://www1.christianforums.com/t2495622-a-thread-for-bipolar-exsperts.html

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thank you for your answers golden violet and wonderwaleye. Yes sitting quietly reading is the best for me with soft christian music. I found one thing you said wonderwaleye very interesting, know your stress limit and stick to it. This is hard if outside influences are pushing your buttons. But then we have the great I AM on our side, so if we stay in close communication with Him he will get us/me through this trying time.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Xxkingskidxx

You have no choice but to let others know when your limit is reached.

I'm not saying that you can always control your level, but a conscience effort can make a real difference.

I had to go through a complicated land closing and I had to be there and on top of everything. I don't usually shake but I did that day and I couldn't control it. I got done as soon as possible and got out of there. No choice!

My wife knew I was going through this and just asked me to hold on and I was able to. Shaking and all.

It does help if others can clear a way for you at times.

Bipolar just takes understanding and doing the best you can.

AT TIMES IT FEELS LIKE THERES NO ONE TO HELP US, BUT THEN WE NEED TO REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
KingsKid, I am surprised that you can read when you're not doing well. You read when you're manic?

I love to read, but it doesn't work when I'm manic... except skimming. When I'm depressed, it's all I want to do.

I agree with all the comments here.

Sometimes if I sense mania is going to start, I take a shower. I do have break through meds, but they're of little use once I realize what's happening.... I usually find that being aware of the fact that I may be becoming manic helps volumes for self control.

Upvote 0

My_Sojourn

Mar 4, 2006
✟167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Legend I have this same problem. I found before I got on the right coctail, I simply couldn't be around people unless it was at work, and even then I had to close myself off as much as I could because overs stimultion made me want to jump out of my skin with so much irritibilities I wanted to scream at everybody. I couldn't live with anybody. They knew to not talk to me during certain times of the day like clockwork because I couldn't handle conversation. I have usually started five different projects that I couldn't concentrate to finish any..

but I have learned to try to start walking either outside or at the gym...and get alone with God and talk to Him and listen to Christian music. This is hard to do. But He restores the soul.... It always works

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.