Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OSV Publishing puts out The Catholic Almanac every year; there is a historical timeline inside which gives the dates for each ecumenical council and what it was convened for, as well as what it accomplished. That's about the closest I can come to, for a thumbnail sketch of each council. You can access the 2002 Almanac on-line at:

www.osv.com

The decrees of the various councils can be found at:

www.piar.hu/councils/~index.htm

Hope this helps! :)

Blessings,
----Wols.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know what you mean---I stick to books myself. The 2002 Catholic Alamanc will run you in the vicinity of $20.00, maybe $25.00. The prices have come up on them in the last couple of years, but I think it's because they have expanded the material they're putting into them these days.

The most current one I've presently got is the 1996 edition, which I got for the discount price of $11.00 last year. :)

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So where do I get one? Bookstore? hey, just curious what do you think about Juan de Valdes? Just started reading a little about him. If you haven't gotten to him or you don't do a lot of history reading in the church its cool, you don't have to answer...oh..and what books are on the prohibited list right now for catholics?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So where do I get one? Bookstore?
You can pick one up at your local Catholic bookstore, or you can order one direct from OSV---check the website, write them at Our Sunday Visitor, 200 Noll Plaza, Huntington, IN 46750, or call them at 1-800-348-2440. You might also possibly be able to get it through Barnes and Noble.
hey, just curious what do you think about Juan de Valdes? Just started reading a little about him.
I'm not familiar with de Valdes, although I have heard the name. I am months, nay, years behind in my reading list, which is not an unusual situation. :)
oh..and what books are on the prohibited list right now for catholics?
None. The Vatican abolished the Index of Forbidden Books on June 14, 1966.

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
okay, wasn't sure if they still had it or not (the list of books). He was the catholic who said he was catholic but denied something about the sacriments..not sure..I'll check my notes again but we can pass the topic since you have just heard and not read about it. Its cool. So what else shall we talk about now? I'm out of ideas for the moment. :)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, there's all sorts of good topics. Indulgences, Purgatory, Tradition, Patristics, Papal supremacy, hermaneutics, veneration of saints, images, icons, works vs. faith, Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, Apostolic succession, sacraments, and the evergreen topics surrounding Mary. Pick one. ;)

Wasn't Juan de Valdez that guy with the burro on the old coffee commercial? ;)

Blessings,
----Wols.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We were just talking a bit about that in my Chaucer class.

Not all that much discussion, but anyway.

Even though I'm not a member of the Catholic Church, there are several things that interest me. Indulgences are one of those things.

In class it was said that they were sold to give someone a little less time in Purgatory. Is that true? Or is there more to it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was wondering about icons...the views of the catholic church have varied on it. Why? I think the current conclusion is that they are okay becaue they are images that direct you to the real. Indugences would be another good one...It just strikes me as wierd that people can buy someone's salvation that is dead...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.