San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
i was wondering if calvinests follow Enanglical Doctrine or Teaching Or are the similar to Baptists.. Im just curiouse, we dont have a Calvinist?Presbyterian church in my town so i dont no to much about them, but from what ive read and heard it sounds like in a lot of ways there similar to Baptists, minis and Add some beliefs.

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are a few differences between Reformed Presbyterians and Reformed Baptists. The most significant and obvious one is the issue of infant baptism (paedobaptism), which Presbyterians practice and Baptists do not.

I would encourage you to check out the website for the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA - http://www.pcanet.org/) for an overview of their beliefs and practices.

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
just a joke, a mean way some refer to us uptight, stiff as a corpse types ;)

One time a guy to our church on some weeknight to perform a thing where he dressed like Peter, quoted all (as he acted out) the entire text of 1 & 2 Peter, verbatim when he was done, I about died laughing, because we had to be instructed by a church elder to applaud. (Obviousluy I was new in the faith then, or I would have been FAR too sanctified to even THINK of laughing!)

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
reformedfan said:
just a joke, a mean way some refer to us uptight, stiff as a corpse types ;)

One time a guy to our church on some weeknight to perform a thing where he dressed like Peter, quoted all (as he acted out) the entire text of 1 & 2 Peter, verbatim when he was done, I about died laughing, because we had to be instructed by a church elder to applaud. (Obviousluy I was new in the faith then, or I would have been FAR too sanctified to even THINK of laughing!)

I've been of faith my entire life, but that is still funny. ^_^

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nova Scotian Boy said:
i was wondering if calvinests follow Enanglical Doctrine or Teaching Or are the similar to Baptists.. Im just curiouse, we dont have a Calvinist?Presbyterian church in my town so i dont no to much about them, but from what ive read and heard it sounds like in a lot of ways there similar to Baptists, minis and Add some beliefs.

Most Baptists were reformed years ago.. they have only moved from it in recent times.
So the roots of Baptist tradition have names like Spurgeon and Gill and Pink as reformed baptist teachers/preachers.

Calvinists are proud evangelicals. There is a strong history of mission and evangelical work.

We share 95% of our doctrine. The difference in in the order of salvation. we too believe that men are saved by faith in Christ

does that answer your question?

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*WARNING:THREAD HIGHJACKING ATTEMPT: PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION*

hopper said:
interpreted as reverent humility and cerebral prowess

yup, that's us. Brilliant. Stodgy. And the most humble people on the planet! Yeah, I could just go on & on about how humble we were, but I better not, you might get jealous of our extreme humility. I think ESPN is devolping a show about us, in fact, called "Extreme Humility!" where we skateboard down a mountain & say "excuse me" while carefully avoiding eye contact with the various heathens they'll scatter about the runway, or sometimes we'll ride our dirtbikes on top of the railing that keeps people from fallling off the mountain while we politely debate infralapsarian vs. supralapsarian positions & the heresy of Arminianism. Theology should be fun!

*return to thread, already in progress*

Reactions: hopper
Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
reformedfan said:
*WARNING:THREAD HIGHJACKING ATTEMPT: PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION*

yup, that's us. Brilliant. Stodgy. And the most humble people on the planet! Yeah, I could just go on & on about how humble we were, but I better not, you might get jealous of our extreme humility. I think ESPN is devolping a show about us, in fact, called "Extreme Humility!" where we skateboard down a mountain & say "excuse me" while carefully avoiding eye contact with the various heathens they'll scatter about the runway, or sometimes we'll ride our dirtbikes on top of the railing that keeps people from fallling off the mountain while we politely debate infralapsarian vs. supralapsarian positions & the heresy of Arminianism. Theology should be fun!

*return to thread, already in progress*

I used to think so anyway .... to contemplate God and His works seemed honorable..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums