Question: Will God forgive your sins if you ask Him?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, everyone. I’m scared that my confession was invalid. So the last time I went to confession, I confessed things I needed to confess. But, I’m worried about a particular sin I confessed, I’m not going to say what I did. But, I kinda said the sin in a mumbled way. I never meant to have him not hear me I don’t know if he heard me but he was looking straight at me after I confessed it he just asked me about the last sin I confessed before the one I was currently saying. Do you think he heard me? It was very quiet in the confession and he asked me to whisper becuase I was talking loudly at first. What happens if he didn’t hear me? Do you think it was valid if he didn’t but had the intention to have him hear me?

More Bible --- less traditions of man.

In the actual Bible we are told to confess our sins to God - because only God can forgive sins.

"IF anyone sins we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ the righteous" 1 John 2:1

"there is ONE mediator between God and man - the man Christ Jesus" 1 Tim 2:5

"14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4

Hebrews 10
Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. 3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices; so it is necessary that this high priest also have something to offer. 4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all,

Hebrews 7

23 The former priests, on the one hand, existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing, 24 but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;

Hebrews 10
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful

It is God that we pray to - it is God that hears the faintest whisper of a prayer, it is God that forgives sin.

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN - hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
here is a basic condition.

That you are a Christian and by that I do not mean white, middle class or an attender of church.

May I suggest you read John ch 3 verses 16- 18
and to give you peace of mind, if you are a Christian, read 1John ch 1 verse 9.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

"you forgive" refers to corp acceptance or disfellowship as we see in 1 Cor 5 and 2 Cor 2.

There is no "my priest who sits right next to me on earth" prayer for Christians.

Rather Jesus said to pray TO God the Father and ask Him "forgive us our debts".

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN - hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

What is amazing in this regard - is that with all their flaws - Jesus never had the disciples come to Him each AM and enter a "confessional" -- confess sins. Now this is interesting because if ever there was a single person on Earth that COULD actually forgive sins - it was Christ. Yet we have not one example of such a daily or weekly routine for the disciples. All we have is Christ telling them to pray directly to God the Father "who is in heaven", asking God Himself to "forgive us our debts".

Upvote 0