• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Question: what to do when your therapist doesn't return your calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarahphim

Hi, :wave: I am a newbie to this forum and I feel so alone with this problem; I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience or what your opinion would be. I am being treated for OCD/anxiety disorder through medication by a psychiatrist who I've been seeing for about 6 months. He is an extremely busy doctor who makes himself available in an emergency by cell phone but doesn't seem to return phone calls otherwise.

Last week, I made numerous attempts to contact him about a medication crisis, first via emergency cell phone (got voicemail), then via his secretary a day later (did not get called back), then called again and got doctor's and general office voicemail because apparently the whole office shut down for the Jewish holidays with no recording indicating they were closed. :scratch: After 2-3 days, I finally ended up calling my primary care doctor and went off the medication without reaching this doctor and left a follow up message telling him what I did, but he still didn't call me back today. It is now 6 days later and when I called today to ask why my calls weren't returned, the secretary didn't seem the least bit concerned about any follow up on my condition. She confirmed receipt of all my messages and left it at that. I felt like there was no concern as to my wellbeing :sigh: and that it was fine that I had to go through another doctor to get treated. As a result I have decided to consult with another doctor but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this. Is this normal and am I expecting too much from a single physician practice? :confused: Thank you!

Saraphim

S

Sarahphim

twosteppin said:
:( That stinks. I think you should find another psychiatrist, I understand the people are busy, but to not call back in an emergency. espicially since it was a medication emergency.
My prayers are with you!
:) Thank you for your advice; Since yesterday, I have located a new doctor and terminated my relationship with this therapist. I am very grateful I was able to get the help I needed from my pharmacy and general doctor so it all worked out well. If anyone else reads this post who is new to seeking therapy like I am, I would encourage them to not give up looking for the right doctor and to ask lots of questions when you pick a doctor!

Thanks very much for your prayers!

God bless,:pray:
Saraphim

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe another doc would be helpful. If this man is too busy to even call you back, which can take only a couple of minutes, maybe this isn't such a great idea. I hate to say, ditch him, after 6 months...but this man does not seem to be the least bit concerned with your health and wellbeing. I'll be praying.

Upvote 0
S

Sarahphim

:wave: Thank you Lawise520. Today I terminated my relationship with this doctor and have an appointment with a new doctor soon. I am fortunate to have good health insurance, praise the Lord, and there are quite a few therapists in my area, so in that regard I am very fortunate. It's just a question of finding the right doctor. I feel so much better today after a difficult week of dealing with this. Thanks for your prayers.:)

Blessings,

Sarahphim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.