• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on the Statement of Faith for OBOB

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Davidnic, Aug 21, 2012.

1. No, no change at all.

2. Yes, change it for both the general area and political subforum

3. Change it for just the general area

4. Change it for just the Political Subforum

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+6,455
    Judaism
    Married
    I hope the mods work to make sure it doesn't. You guys are pretty cool and even put up with me (quite a feat :)). I would want this to be your safe haven.

I think you have a point though. If someone says "Jews believe X" and we don't and I point that out, it really shouldn't be debate. It's weird because if someone really wanted to, they could post the following:

"LoAmmi isn't a Jew". Potential flaming aside, I couldn't even say that I was in that case.

2. GenetoJean

GenetoJean Veteran

+118
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Others
    Nope, never thought you were unfriendly. :)

3. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    but we do not need to change the rules
    how about the mods just use common sense
    if some Catholic said you are not a Jew and you correct them and they report you, a mod should just say "wow that Catholic was being dumb, i am not going to do anything to the nice jewish boy"
    and really that is how OBOB has done things
    we have let the Eastern Orthodox get away with teaching all types of things in here, and we let it go out of the sense of being a polite host

4. benedictaoo

benedictaoo Legend

+7,166
    Catholic
    Private
    Or report ppl for "profanity" for words that are not profane and the same words other posters use... You know I'm getting reported for that again when other posters like Gwen,was she ever reported for it? who uses the same 'profane' words.

This is a problem that does need to be addressed.

5. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,223
    Catholic
    Married
    But that's how common sense died--don't you know? The slippery slope. The first time around things were okay, but farther and farther away from those orignal mods (or rules), it got down to "Well what could they *really* have meant by this particular thing?" And after awhile it gets to be "Oh *of course* they meant that rules no longer count--it's to be a free-for-all, after all, that's what it means *now*". That's why we have rules written down in the first place--so there is no question. They are "carved in stone" so to speak, even if people sort of "bend" them a little. So that we can always count on that "safe haven" even if we tend to allow a bit more leeway in practice.

Sometimes I even suspect that's why even outdated laws are left on the books. It's "just in case" there *is* a question about what was *really* meant. It's "just in case" it *is* needed.

6. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+7,817
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity

This does not put the safe haven in jeopardy. I have put in...let see, rough estimate since I became a mod in 2006...3120 hours on this site dealing with the rules. Many times, specifically protecting the safe haven.

I have also written or been part of those who wrote every set of rules on this site (except the wiki stuff) for 6 years, including each of the OBOB safe haven rules and Statements of Faith.

So I am not guessing as to what the intention behind the older sets of rules are when I say this does not oppose or jeopardize the safe haven. This does not make it a free for all.

All it does is open up things slightly to allow for consistency and eliminate people reporting some while allowing others.

Like I said before there are pros and cons.

But the argument you make is just plan wrong. Having put far more time in here than anyone else protecting the OBOB safe haven, and all the congregational safe havens as well...I can say this does not effect that rule. This is not an invitation to free for all.

Catholic dogma and teaching can not be oppose.
    Catholicism can not be mocked.

This is the equivalent of having a conversation with your non-Catholic neighbor in your living room. But they must remember it is your house and respect the statue of Mary on the table.

7. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,223
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, I know that you have done a wonderful job Davidnic. But we can't count on you for years and years and years. Things come up. People leave. Things change There will be others, and others, and others. All with their own ideas. All claiming to *really* know what Davidnic had in mind.

That's why rules are written down--so their can be no mistake in years gone by. No guessing by moderators who aren't devout Catholics themselves. OBOB will not become the "Lord's Table" (or whatever that liberal group's thread was called). It will continue to be the safe haven for those who owe allegience to the Magisterium.

8. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    here is what i see happening, i am not really complianing
    this forum is a construct and people can make it into whatever they want

some Protestant is going to come in here and bring up the horrors of the Spanish inqusition, and the debate will go back and forth a few posts but before that can really get resolved it will turn into the evils of the Crusades, allso horribly exagerated by someone who does not have any respect for the Catholic Church, then when we start to answer that it will turn into a debate about the evils of Renisance Popes or how his Mom's side of the family is Catholic and how they are just horrible people
    and none of these will be a diraect debate about the theology of the Catholic Church but it will just go on and on and on and it will be just like General Theology

ok
    whatever
    i do not care

9. Antigone

Antigone The Wrath of Whatever

+1,241
    Christian
    Legal Union (Other)
    I spy a metaphor.

10. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,460
    Catholic
    Married
    No need to worry about her, she's gone now. She was so badgered by people telling her what a terrible person she was that she decided to shake the dust off. She made the right choice. We have some very bad people here, and I think you know what I'm talking about. It is sad. Everyone knows who they are, and everyone knows what the problem is. We're even seeing it in this thread. Honesty doesn't matter to some, just spin. Rules prevent the good from being honest, but not the bad.

11. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    Who was badgering Gwen?

12. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+213
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    She left? I wonder whose fault that was.

13. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,460
    Catholic
    Married
    The usual suspects:(

14. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+6,455
    Judaism
    Married
    [​IMG]

15. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others

I knew it. Whenever something bad happens, it always has to involve a Baldwin.

16. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,338
    Catholic
    Private
    I didnt know Gwen left.

David - question - what if a member is not deliberately bashing the Church - but promotes 'teaching' against the faith?
    Not obviously - but doing so..?

Like the 'in my opinion' abortion should be ok...
    Or IMHO - gay marriage is allowed...or whatever. But it's only an opinion [so they say]?

17. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+5,571
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I have been thinking about Gwen the past few days. I even wrote her a PM to see how she was doing (haven't heard back yet).

If she has left OBOB for a self-directed break I wish her a great R&R.

I am more concerned that some of the difficult situations in her life might have escalated to new levels.

Praying for Gwen.

18. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,338
    Catholic
    Private
    Yes, Gwen is my prayers.

19. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+7,817
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Abortion can not be promoted in OBOB. I expect people to know that before entering a Catholic area...that promoting abortion is not in line with Catholicism. So there they would be subject to the rules because it is beyond doubt what our teaching is on that. And that is authoritatively proclaimed.

Same with Gay marriage but if people are discussing it as a legal right...that conversation has some leeway. But Christian Forums in general has the rule that you can not promote homosexuality as moral. So another rule would come into play there.

So in those cases there would be actions if those were reported.

20. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,413
    Catholic
    Private
    This poll will close on 26th August 2012 at 11:06 PM <<< what time zone if that for? Please use a GMT offset :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.