• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on the Statement of Faith for OBOB

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Davidnic, Aug 21, 2012.

1. No, no change at all.

2. Yes, change it for both the general area and political subforum

3. Change it for just the general area

4. Change it for just the Political Subforum

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,223
    Catholic
    Married
    Blessings are still received at Mass even though a person chooses not to receive the Eucharist for whatever reason.

2. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

+0
    I think "Catholic dogma" might be too narrow. I don't want, for example, to have debates here with the Orthodox over history, even if it's not dogma-challenging. If there is any change at all, I'd prefer to see it allowed in the political forum only. I'm voting for no change though.

3. Antigone

Antigone The Wrath of Whatever

+1,241
    Christian
    Legal Union (Other)
    Would it be any different from having a debate about history with Catholics?

4. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+213
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    Historical debates should be secular only.

5. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

+0
    Yes. Different subtexts. Historical debates with the Orthodox are always at heart about whose Church is the real deal.

6. Virgil the Roman

Virgil the Roman Young Fogey & Traditional Catholic . . .

+1,108
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    Perhaps, while we're at it, we could ban discussion on threads regarding 'Orthodox-Catholic reunion'? Especially, ass they are pointless, inane, and only cause flaming and smack-talking. And the stuff posted about supposed reunions isn't even anything but hype 99% of the time. They're stupid threads really.
    :smoke:

7. Virgil the Roman

+1,108
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    There isn't such a thing; the Church is irrevocable intertwined with history. Purely 'secular history' is a modern fallacy and common enough error. It doesn't exist: it never has.
    :smoke:

8. Antigone

Antigone The Wrath of Whatever

+1,241
    Christian
    Legal Union (Other)
    But the church doesn't dictate our view on all of history. The other day we had a debate about the sex lives of Victorians. I don't think the church dictates whether we have to believe they were as virtuous as they pretended or whether they were a bit on the pervy side in secret.

9. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+213
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    So, debating the cause of the American Civil War or whether FDR's policies made the Great Depression better or worse need to have a lengthy discussion about the Church how?

10. Virgil the Roman

+1,108
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    I'm just saying that purely secular history to exclude the Church entirely as not a factor isn't always possible.

11. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,223
    Catholic
    Married
    :amen:

As Catholics our Faith intergrates every little part of our lives. As far as I can see only Protestants seem to compartmentalize.

12. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    you even mentioned debates with the EO over the history of the East/West Schism
    we can not look at that a purely secualr light, because it has to do with the Church and the Church was created by God and He sustains His Church, so it does not have purly natural characteristics but also supernatural attributes

13. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+15,657
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Church recognized valid baptisms. But no, they are not Catholic in obedience to the magesterium.

Nope. That was sort of been one of my sticking points over the past few months. Even protestant Churches recognize apostasy & falling away. Regardless of where they were baptized. But I guess Catholics have some magic formula where if done under a Catholic roof, you can claim Catholic regardless of whether you practice the faith or not..

14. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+4,073
    Christian
    I voted yes to both. The one caveat I have, is that we need the Mod's to be responsive if we notice a pattern of abuse under the guise of fellowship.

For the newer folks, yes I am a Catholic. I just prefer the basic cross to the decorative cross. It is just a personal preference.

15. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+4,073
    Christian

My only concern Michie, is who gets to decide that ? We have seen what mob rule can do. Behind the scenes some nefarious things often happen.

16. GenetoJean

GenetoJean Veteran

+118
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Others
    I am not Catholic but am thankfull I can post questions here. If I ever state something that I mean as a clarification on a belief that is viewed as debating I appologize in advance and will strive to not do that again.

Many of my favorite threads have been in this forum. I also have one thread I started I really wish I had placed here about the link from Peter to the Catholic Church so it wouldnt have devolved into Catholic bashing.

17. Rhamiel

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    we have a lot of members who just use the black cross
    some are Eastern Rite Catholics, some have other reasons
    and that is fine

I do not think debate should be limeted based on that
    but rather if people are part of the Catholic Church or not

but it seems like my view is in the minority

18. Rhamiel

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    I hope I do not sound unfriendly!
    lol I love it when people come here to ask questions

God bless you my dear brother in Christ

19. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+6,454
    Judaism
    Married
    I have a question for you. What do you consider debate to be? I think that may be a stumbling block in a lot of ways. For the rules currently, it seems to be disagreement of any sort.

20. Rhamiel

+7,601
    Catholic
    Single
    well i would say that to debate something, you would be saying something is a fact and someone else is disagreeing with you

so stuff like what your favorite color or favorite movie would not be a debate, because that is a matter of opinion

also, like if I were to say something about what the Jews teach, and I was wrong and you corrected me, that would be a debate, but I think even if we do not change the rules (and it looks like the rules are going to change) but even if the rules do not change you correcting me on that should be allowed, just as a basic decency type thing
    we have let the Eastern Orthodox get away with that A LOT and sometimes I think it even comes close to them debating agianst the Catholic Church, but I do not report it because i think just reporting stuff is not very friendly
    like I try to give people the benefit of the doubt

my real concern is that if we do change the rules, more and more people who are not friendly to the Catholic Church will try to twist the rules to attack the Church on this forum

go to other parts of this webforum
    go to General Theology, or even go to the Singles subforum (i post in both of those places a lot)
    go any of the Christian sections and mention the Catholic Church and see how much hate and venom gets thrown at the Catholic Church

this forum is suposed to be a safe haven
    I just do not want to see that go away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.