Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before I vote.. I just have a question. I thought when the political subforum was created that it was to discuss politics in light of Catholic understanding? That is what was told to me several times.

There is already a political forum for everyone to participate in. Most articles are written from a Catholic perspective in that forum.

Frankly, the poll seems a bit silly given that Catholic teaching is already debated by members of the RCC. Fellowship has always been a given in the general forum & the political forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I vote for both. As long as a Protestant is not debating Church teachings or preaching things against Catholicism, I don't have a problem. I honestly think it's silly that a Protestant who comes here, says "I think we need more gun control," and gets reported for debating a Catholic about politics is silly.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I vote for both. As long as a Protestant is not debating Church teachings or preaching things against Catholicism, I don't have a problem. I honestly think it's silly that a Protestant who comes here, says "I think we need more gun control," and gets reported for debating a Catholic about politics is silly.
It is silly. But when the article is a piece from the clergy & it goes into Catholic thought & social teachings.. what then?

If this is just about fellowship... everyone is free to come to OBOB & fellowship. It has always been that way.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

With all due respect, I got an infraction and received a warning for defending the Church. Gwendolyn posted numerous times how she received an infraction for - not debating - but for answering someone who had a question regarding Catholicism.

Sorry for the cliche but it is a sword that cuts both ways.

There needs to be a serious upheaval before users aren't so paranoid about posting here, and when I say here, I mean in the forums in general. I can understand throwing the gauntlet when someone mocks, belittles a faith or is just flat-out antagonizing, but this?

And for crying out loud, that place where souls spend all eternity in separation of the Lord, the place where the fallen angle resides; that place! That these forums get all uppity when it's used as a figure of speech, I find that to be a joke and a half.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It is silly. But when the article is a piece from the clergy & it goes into Catholic thought & social teachings.. what then?

Then they back off, or work their way around them. I've been doing this for at least a year and as I said, I mostly just get reported for being a non-Catholic in a Catholic forum. The new rule will still forbid them from discussing Catholic theology and dogma.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I dont think i understand why anyone would report someone in here supporting Catholic faith even if they were not Catholic. :scratch:

To end an inconvenient discussion. Nobody likes to be wrong but not everybody handles it well.

The rule is that non-Catholics are not allowed to debate anything. Doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
i generally let ppl know if they are going over the bounds in our teaching.
But if Joe Smoe is defending the faith - i dont understand why that is reportable.

I voted - but i hope ppl dont think an inch = a yard. I mean, that ppl dont come in and debate against Catholic doctrine and so forth or denigrate the prelates etc.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm having a hard time figuring out how what you're saying relates to who should be allowed to debate whether the Metrodome was cooler than the Astrodome in OBOB.

The Metrodome is much cooler

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I dont think i understand why anyone would report someone in here supporting Catholic faith even if they were not Catholic. :scratch:

The ability to exclude can make one feel as thought they are part are the exclusive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Open this up.

Free the protestants

Death to the imperialist something or other.

etc.
From what I understand - Protestants cannot contest Catholic teaching - so with this new rule - i hope they are cautious. If they come in against the Church - it is still the same guidelines.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then they back off, or work their way around them. I've been doing this for at least a year and as I said, I mostly just get reported for being a non-Catholic in a Catholic forum. The new rule will still forbid them from discussing Catholic theology and dogma.
But they do anyway. As Brooklyn Knight stated... people get reported for defending the Church as well.

We have members here that cut, goad & belittle the faith on a regular basis. Nothing is done even when it is habitually done by the same posters.

Fellowship has always been the same in the general area as well as the political area. Whether Catholic or not. What is the point of this thread?

Seems a bit redundant.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Because the rules need to reflect the practice. And either people want a strict interpretation as written and enforced or they want the slight change to reflect what they are currently allowing 90% of the time.

When someone gets a violation for supporting Catholic Dogma they should appeal. If the warning was for how they did it...that is one thing. If they flamed while defending it.

But if they get a warning they feel is wrong..appeal it.

This thread is because we have the strict enforcement of how it is written and how the community has allowed it to function. For the sake of consistency they need to pick one.

Because it is a safe haven, opposing Dogma will never be on the table.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is the point of this thread?

Seems a bit redundant.

The point of this thread was to poll OBOB posters on a proposed change to the OBOB Statement of Faith, triggered by a recent bunch of reports (I was reported too, when I had by Catholic logo off. I put it back on appease people - Antigone is more honest than that) of posters who don't have Catholic icons debating a non-faith-related matter.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point of this thread was to poll OBOB posters on a proposed change to the OBOB Statement of Faith, triggered by a recent bunch of reports (I was reported too, when I had by Catholic logo off. I put it back on appease people - Antigone is more honest than that) of posters who don't have Catholic icons debating a non-faith-related matter.
Well I've have had a rash of reports & warnings myself these past few months. Same players.

I just think it is silly to vote on something that is already in play. I thought fellowship & subjects having nothing to do with the Catholic faith were always open to all.

But can someone come in & debate abortion, euthanasia, etc.?

All those things that seem to be the concerns of Catholic social justice?

Personally, I don't think that those things should be debated in a Catholic forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well I've have had a rash of reports & warnings myself these past few months. Same players.

I just think it is silly to vote on something that is already in play. I thought fellowship & subjects having nothing to do with the Catholic faith were always open to all.

All those things that seem to be the concerns of Catholic social justice?

Personally, I don't think that those things should be debated in a Catholic forum.

Abortion and Euthanasia are authoritatively taught and that teaching can not be opposed.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought so too, but a strict reading of the DoF says they aren't, in the event that you happen to disagree with any Catholic.

They shouldn't be, they are off-limits today and would remain so.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Let's go weird. :)

If I'm browsing through threads, and someone posts "I don't think we should help the poor", if they are Catholic I could not disagree with them currently. Now, helping the poor is obviously a Catholic virtue and it is shared with my faith as well. But I couldn't disagree or even point out that they are not within Church teaching to say so.

To give another example. What if a Catholic were to post that "even Judaism embraces Jesus as a prophet"? Under current rules, I would not be allowed to correct that notion. I know the Church doesn't teach that Judaism believes Jesus is a prophet, but I would have to be silent.

These are just examples of things I couldn't say even if I were in fellowship because it would be disagreeing and disagreeing seems to be the same as debate.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.