Question on Punishment for Violation of Torah

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I just bought "The Concise Book of Mitzvot," compiled by the Chafetz Chayim. For example, it says that in Va-yikra 19:27 that cutting any of the five corners of the beard would be a violation of Torah and the consequent punishment would be whiplashings. I am wondering, are such punishments instituted by men, or were things of the sort commandments of God? Furthermore, can any explanations be made as to why God would command such things? I was told that God gave seemingly pointless laws to the Hebrews essentially to see if they would obey His law, no matter how trivial they appeared to be. However, did God command punishment for these things, or were punishments implemented by men? For Yeshua said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" in a seeming rebuttle of the death punishments for violations of Torah. Would the mezzies here provide some explanation as to these things?

Forgive me of my ignorance of Torah, but I figured this book of Mizvot would help me follow the Law, as Yeshua evidently supported it wholly.

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
I Believe that follows under the command to not do anything like the heathens.That is the general view.

Now if you really want understanding it goes much deeper than that, but not sure if you are ready for it or not. I am sure that sojeru could expand on this.

Why not first do a study on any other scriptures where it mentions "hair" this will give you a good base to start, and it will be very meaingful for you I beleive!:)

Upvote 0

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
SonWorshipper said:
I Believe that follows under the command to not do anything like the heathens.That is the general view.

Now if you really want understanding it goes much deeper than that, but not sure if you are ready for it or not. I am sure that sojeru could expand on this.

Why not first do a study on any other scriptures where it mentions "hair" this will give you a good base to start, and it will be very meaingful for you I beleive!:)
I mean not to be a braggart, but much of the more mystical teachings of Judaism, and especially when placed in a Messianic perspective, I understand. However, some of the more simpler things, such as the use of "hair" of which you speak, elude me. Please, if you could, fill me in.

Upvote 0

Daron

Nov 13, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟308.00
Faith
Messianic
AnthonyForChrist said:
For Yeshua said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" in a seeming rebuttle of the death punishments for violations of Torah. Would the mezzies here provide some explanation as to these things?

Forgive me of my ignorance of Torah, but I figured this book of Mizvot would help me follow the Law, as Yeshua evidently supported it wholly.

Hello Anthony

Deut 22:22 "If a man is found lying with a woman married to a husband, then both of them shall die--the man that lay with the woman, and the woman; so you shall put away the evil from Israel.

Lev 20:10 The man who commits adultery with another man's wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.

Bringing the woman without the man was not according to Torah. Therefore Yahshuah was not obligated to pass judgment according to Torah, but used it against the leaders of that day.

Then the validity of the passage of scripture is in question:

John 7:53 [The earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.] Then each went to his own home.
NIV

Daron

Upvote 0