Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians say meditation is sinful. "I can provide numerous different articles etc"

The reason Im asking is because I am in OCD therapy treatment and a lot of the books and my therapist talk about utilizing meditation.

Not to leave your body like most people try to do or for some weird practice, but my question is, is it okay to be using meditation during my ocd treatment.
Again its not for some weird practice, but just the idea that Im meditating I want other christian advice.
There are two definitions of meditation. One, from scripture describes meditating on the goodness of walking in the Holy Spirit basically thinking about what the Gospel teaches day in and day out.

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

The other is the Eastern form of repetitive meditation which is what is considered a sinful practice.

7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The meditation of my therapy is just being in the moment, noticing my thoughts and just letting them be there.
There is other things too but just generally recognizing thoughts are thoughts

That is absolutely fine. Please try it. It may help you a lot. Being able to recognize that thoughts are just thoughts are a big part of OCD treatment. I did this in OCD therapy too.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OP, please continue what your therapist has been telling you to do, being in the moment. This may have been better posted in the OCD section of CF as there you will more likely get responses from others who have dealt with OCD, not advice from people who have never dealt with it.

Listen to your therapist.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can quote many more, but you will not be able to see it. I, again, said nothing concerning seeking experience, or new age, or occult.....you are the one bringing these things up.. I have only asked that we not talk about those things and only discuss the truth as we see it relating to Christianity and meditation.

Saying something is wrong because a "sinner" does it, is not a wise argument....as even as earthly father knows how to give their Children good these....... The fact that he is earthly, doesnt mean that he is wrong, or that we cannot give our children good things because they did it.

The OP is asking about Meditation, not mysticism or occults or experiences or new age practices. While I dont mind discussing these things with you....I would like to respect the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Be still, and know that I am God"
"A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;"
"But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him."
"Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah."
(kvj)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
forgive me, I was thinking of more of a spiritual interpretation........one that cannot be studied and learned....but instead, revealed and known...to those willing to be still.

I see no wrong in your interpretation either.....thanks for the conversation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ambassador Hat
Per the Statement of Purpose, always address the original poster in Christian Advice. This is a No Debate forum

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The meditation of my therapy is just being in the moment, noticing my thoughts and just letting them be there.
There is other things too but just generally recognizing thoughts are thoughts

This sounds like what the Buddhists call Mindfulness, one element of the "Eightfold Path" to "enlightenment." FYI, it's not the same thing as what the Bible calls meditation at all and can be harmful. Hope this info helps!

Here's a warning to Christians:

Should You Practice Mindfulness?
Practicing Mindfulness meditation on a fairly regular basis may eventually lead the person to be open to or adopt the worldview behind it, because that is the purpose and effect of this meditation. Mindfulness experience tends to validate itself, leading the practitioner to believe that the process of detachment is at work. However, since the self is real and permanent, there can be no true detachment. Therefore, no liberation or true peace ever results from Mindfulness.

Buddhism teaches that there is no supreme God, no mind, and no permanent individual self. Ultimate reality is sunyata, a term loosely translated as the void, or emptiness, which refers to the ultimate impersonal reality of formlessness from which all has allegedly arisen. Mindfulness rests on the belief that the world is full of rising and falling, and peace comes only with the cessation of rising and falling. But how can there be experience of joy or peace in formlessness, when nothing with self or identity is there?

If you are a Christian, the rationale and goal of Mindfulness is in conflict with a Christian worldview. Mindfulness has nothing in common with biblical meditation, which is thoughtful contemplation and pondering of God's word; nor is it prayer. Biblical meditation and prayer do not intend to go beyond thought, either to achieve a mystical oneness with God, or to "hear" from God. Prayer in the Bible is always presented as verbal praise, petition, confession, and expression of gratitude to God.

The tests on Mindfulness and its effects on the brain and behavior, often at the behest of the Dalai Lama's organizations and those who promote Mindfulness, are yielding what appears to be evidence of positive changes in terms of clarity and calmness. However, the tests cannot measure spiritual effects or the possible spiritual cost. Engagement in a method designed with a spiritual purpose has the high potential to bring about spiritual effects. Furthermore, why encourage a practice that promises a counterfeit peace? Christians know that true peace comes solely through reconciliation with God through faith in Christ?

The concept of needing detachment goes against biblical teaching on necessary ties to the past and future: that we should remember what God has done for us through the atonement and bodily resurrection of Christ, and vividly keep before us the imminent return of Christ, our true Hope. There are many desires that are good, and desire to know God more deeply through prayer, Bible study, and worship nourishes believers in Christ. There is no need to fear attachment or good desires.

Mindfulness and the practice of Christianity do not mesh and cannot peacefully co-exist.

Source: Mindfulness: Taming the Monkey (Page 2 of 2)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians say meditation is sinful. "I can provide numerous different articles etc"

The reason Im asking is because I am in OCD therapy treatment and a lot of the books and my therapist talk about utilizing meditation.

Not to leave your body like most people try to do or for some weird practice, but my question is, is it okay to be using meditation during my ocd treatment.
Again its not for some weird practice, but just the idea that Im meditating I want other christian advice.
Having been involved in the dark occult for over 15 years, non Biblical meditation (clearing the mind and keeping it blank, affirmations) or meditating on ANYONE or THING but God, opens gates for demonic activity, communication, and influence.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord." Lam 3:26

"For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Those christians are paranoid fundies. Anything they have no experience or knowledge of is always cashed in as a sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Christian meditation is nothing like the type of meditation that blanks the mind and chants meaningless phrases. It is reading the Bible and then thinking about what it says, discussing with God, and "chewing it over" to gain more insight and understanding of what the Bible is saying in any particular place. It is not disengaging the mind, but using it in conjunction with the Holy Spirit to build yourself up in your holy faith.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are incorrect and being disrespectful.

Sorry, but many christians need to accept that not everything that isn't of christian origin is "evil". There is nothing spiritually evil with it, in fact it is good for the mind to have a time to just meditate.

There is no reason why we should deny scientifically supported health practices all because of superstitious views of demons and all that, especially when there has never been any evidence of any demonic happenings especially in a Yoga class.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I use relaxation music, ect, and other things, helps me center myself...

There are two definitions and meanings of the word "meditation" or to meditate though...

From Wiki, Dictionary definitions[edit]

Definitions in the Oxford and Cambridge living dictionaries and Merriam-Webster include both the original Latin meaning of "think[ing] deeply about (something)";[6] as well as the popular usage of "to focus one's mind for a period of time,"[6] "the act of giving your attention to only one thing,"[20] and "to engage in mental exercise (such as concentration on one's breathing or repetition of a mantra) for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness."[5]

That's what it meant in the Latin, which can traced back to it's meaning in Greek maybe also...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think some people are misunderstanding why this treatment is necessary. All it's doing is teaching the person suffering from OCD how to let go of thoughts. Normal people do that naturally, so there may be no use for them to try. If you have OCD it causes you to ruminate over a single worry and you can't let it go. Practicing just being and accepting the external and internal world has proven to be very successful in treating it. I have OCD and this method doesn't "open you up to demons" all it does is allow you to live in the present, which is what Christ wants us to do.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I meditate 3 times a day, cumulatively about an hour and a half/two hours a day. I can absolutely say that the practice changed my life for the better.

If you’re attempting to get a handle on OCD, I cannot suggest meditation enough to help you find coping mechanisms.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

I would be wary of any message that instills fear......especially fear of one who can only destroy the body....but not the soul.

And why would anyone desire to instill fear in one who states they have OCD?

Upvote 0