• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Question on meditation

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by JoshFL, Feb 15, 2019.

1. JoshFL

JoshFL Member

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Christians say meditation is sinful. "I can provide numerous different articles etc"

The reason Im asking is because I am in OCD therapy treatment and a lot of the books and my therapist talk about utilizing meditation.

Not to leave your body like most people try to do or for some weird practice, but my question is, is it okay to be using meditation during my ocd treatment.
    Again its not for some weird practice, but just the idea that Im meditating I want other christian advice.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,329
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    The bible commands meditation and the Psalms extol its virtues.

Joshua 1:8
    This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

Psalm 145:5
    On the glorious splendor of Your majesty And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.​

The christians that call it sinful know only the hindu/buddhist model of meditation which leans toward the demonic and should be avoided.

What does the meditation of your therapy look like?

3. JoshFL

JoshFL Member

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The meditation of my therapy is just being in the moment, noticing my thoughts and just letting them be there.
    There is other things too but just generally recognizing thoughts are thoughts

4. JoshFL

JoshFL Member

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Meditation for OCD is all about noticing when you have become distracted "awareness of obsessions" and returning to the present moment without judgement of analysis "abandoning compulsions"

5. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+399
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    If by meditation one means 'pondering over', 'ruminating over' His Word then it is fine and biblical, but if by it one means emptying one's mind of thoughts or contemplating one's navel, then that is antibiblical.

6. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+399
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    That seems to be a form of introspective navel gazing. Our thoughts should be turned away from self unto Him and His Word.

2 Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Heb 12:2 (Amp)

7. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.....and if you begin to think that there is.....this should be viewed as another thought that should be observed and allowed to pass without causing you any inner turmoil.......

8. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+412
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Maybe it is just old-person grumpiness, but I have noticed, the older I get, that commonly psychiatrists and therapists increase their victims' already overly self-centered thinking. They bring the patient to think more about themselves, to concentrate on self, to analyze self. While there is a place for self-understanding and self-analysis, their patients minds are trained to think about themselves. Their situation and how it affects them becomes, more and more, their whole world..

Step into one of the fast-track offices, and read the posters. See what these people talk about on Facebook.

I can say that, and the person can hear and understand me, and then try to apply the thoughts I expressed to themself and the cycle continues. Life is all about them.

For most people, and specially those who seek therapy, I say, pursue Christ with all your heart; I don't know what else can take your mind off yourself and your OCD, but learn to disrespect your OCD.

There is much to learn about Christ, the thoughts of which have done much to free my heart to enjoy life. Life is all about him.

9. amariselle

amariselle Jesus Never Fails

+4,102
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I can relate to this issue, as I have an anxiety disorder and panic attacks which I have struggled with for most of my life. I also went through counselling and CBT therapy. Unfortunately, much of the mental health field and psychology is full of New Age/Eastern mysticism. Meditating on God’s word and taking thoughts “captive to Christ” is Biblical in that we turn our thoughts away from ourselves. The kind of meditation most often found in psychological therapy techniques, however, is more about emptying the mind or self-focus, turning the thoughts more and more inward.

There have been reports and research into negative effects due to this kind of meditation. It does have a spiritual component as well. I would urge caution, and that you do some careful research.

10. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What negative, do you believe can come from drawing your thoughts inward......or forgetting about the outside world and its problems and being still?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. amariselle

amariselle Jesus Never Fails

+4,102
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
  12. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    These saying seem to directly contradict the teachings of Jesus:

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?"

"And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:"

Who by taking thought can add one cubit to their stature?

I believe that there is no benefits in taking thoughts......And when we go to God, we should be free of them....Knowing that He already knows what we need....and hears our pray before they are uttered.

13. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    How can one hear the still small voice, over Our own?

14. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    we are mixing the right with what you believe is wrong. Lets try and talk about only what is right.....without fear of doing what the group of wrong doers are doing.

Taking no thought, is the command of Jesus. How do you link this to self focus? I would think that taking your mind off of your own needs and desires and problem and fears, would be the opposite of self-focus.

15. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If we are going to repeat scriptures in your head, we might as well just pray for things, or think about our problems and tomorrow.....about what we will eat and wear....etc..

To hear the still voice.....to hear the knock and know the direction of the door....we must be silent.

Dangerous? yes..... but yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadows of death, I will fear no evil........

This way is not for those with a spirit of fear.

16. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I know nothing of eastern mediation.....it is you who is trying to get me to study it. I ask that you share what it right without share what is wrong with it......I feel this to be more helpful.

Is the bible and the Spirit not enough? Do I need extra booklets to show me the way?

Are you able to show with the bible that taking no thoughts when we go before God is wrong? If you cannot, that is ok. I have little time to study new age practices.

17. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Are you saying that you only hear God when you hear your voice reading the bible in your head? And that this is the only way others should hear God as well?

18. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+536
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It is a danger to the world of man and the Adversary to empty our mind of thoughts, for that removes what the world has taught us to keep us contrary to the Kingdom. It is these entities that have the most to lose when we become open and free to find and hear God. Christianity as we know it would crumble if the rules man has made were set aside for the will of God. World forbid we should unlearn what the world of man has taught us to believe.

19. RaymondG

+2,417
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I do not disagree with you.......what you say is true for you.

I speak so that those who would enter in, are not hindered.

I see no value in talking about eastern practices unless you believe they contain the truth.... I said nothing to support or degrade them....nor do I wish to.

20. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,712
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It's totally ok.