Question on genetic alteration and modification.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
To put some perspective on this question, I enjoy a tabletop wargame called Warhammer 40,000. Now, one of the factions in the Warhammer 40,000 universe are the Space Marines, or Adeptus Astartes in the W40's lexicon. These beings are what could accurately be described as 'super-human'. They are 8 feet tall on average, sharper eyesight, sharper sense of smell, they cannot be felled by normal diseases or maladies, and any minor cut will coagulate near instantly.
That's the tamer side of them. They also have two hearts, a reinforced rib-cage, enhanced lungs, they can spit acid, they have a glad that means they suffer no ill effects from prolonged lack of sleep, etc.
Obviously: science fiction nonsense. But quite entertaining science fiction nonsense.

Now obviously, this is just an approximation of their alterations and the huge majority of the modifications are near impossible (although I now I could definitely like the gland that means I can for over 24 hours without sleep and not suffer any ill effects).

But the main question(s) I'd like to ask is (or are):
  1. Is the human body capable of taking genetic/biological modifications that can hugely aid the human body, without needing any major 'upgrades' right from the off?
  2. Is medical science ready at the moment to begin altering the human body in a way as described above? and
  3. Are there any modifications that can alter the human body that you think we will see in the near future?

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To put some perspective on this question, I enjoy a tabletop wargame called Warhammer 40,000. Now, one of the factions in the Warhammer 40,000 universe are the Space Marines, or Adeptus Astartes in the W40's lexicon. These beings are what could accurately be described as 'super-human'. They are 8 feet tall on average, sharper eyesight, sharper sense of smell, they cannot be felled by normal diseases or maladies, and any minor cut will coagulate near instantly.
That's the tamer side of them. They also have two hearts, a reinforced rib-cage, enhanced lungs, they can spit acid, they have a glad that means they suffer no ill effects from prolonged lack of sleep, etc.
Obviously: science fiction nonsense. But quite entertaining science fiction nonsense.

Now obviously, this is just an approximation of their alterations and the huge majority of the modifications are near impossible (although I now I could definitely like the gland that means I can for over 24 hours without sleep and not suffer any ill effects).

1. Is the human body capable of taking genetic/biological modifications that can hugely aid the human body, without needing any major 'upgrades' right from the off?
  2. Is medical science ready at the moment to begin altering the human body in a way as described above? and
  3. Are there any modifications that can alter the human body that you think we will see in the near future?
1 yes
2 no
3 none

While it is certainly possible to selectively breed desired traits technologically, societal factors make it impossible. Biological enhancements arguably already happen with a broad definition (vaccines, appendix removal, eyeglasses, etc.). We certainly make devices that expand the abilities of our senses (night vision, microphones, etc), There probably isn't much reason to have such things perminently attached.

Chemical enhancements like steroids are certainly available, but carry side effects and risks and are generally banned.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are a number of "repair" technologies and a handful of "enhancement" technologies.
But there is not one substitute that the wealthiest people in the world partake of that each
person would not prefer to a healthy, natural, fully functional "original equipment" part.

Also, there are no "enhancements" that any parent would subject their children to.

The human body is designed by God (or nature) to be a perfect blend of abilities.
Some would like to swim farther, or run faster, or lift more dumb-bells over their head.
But they are trading some abilities for others they loose.

stretch-marks-steroid-use.jpg

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
1 yes
2 no
3 none

While it is certainly possible to selectively breed desired traits technologically, societal factors make it impossible. Biological enhancements arguably already happen with a broad definition (vaccines, appendix removal, eyeglasses, etc.). We certainly make devices that expand the abilities of our senses (night vision, microphones, etc), There probably isn't much reason to have such things perminently attached.

Chemical enhancements like steroids are certainly available, but carry side effects and risks and are generally banned.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about steroids.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There are a number of "repair" technologies and a handful of "enhancement" technologies.
But there is not one substitute that the wealthiest people in the world partake of that each
person would not prefer to a healthy, natural, fully functional "original equipment" part.

Also, there are no "enhancements" that any parent would subject their children to.

The human body is designed by God (or nature) to be a perfect blend of abilities.
Some would like to swim farther, or run faster, or lift more dumb-bells over their head.
But they are trading some abilities for others they loose.

stretch-marks-steroid-use.jpg

But even the healthiest person can be hit by a disease. Influenza, cancer, HIV AIDS, the myriad of STDs.
Immune system does do better if the person is healthier, but there things that even our immune system can't work against.

And I would like proof that, just as an example, that a person who can swim faster looses their ability to do something else just as well.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

The first link is the only one with any sort of connection to what I asked.
The second link is about money in sports, nothing about his height or anything to do with his body.

And the third one is just a picture. Some of those women could be amateur wrestlers, which is a sport.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first link is the only one with any sort of connection to what I asked.
The second link is about money in sports, nothing about his height or anything to do with his body.

And the third one is just a picture. Some of those women could be amateur wrestlers, which is a sport.

Most people understand that you can only excel
above others in the area that you practice in.
This is true of both mental and physical abilities.
You can discuss this in detail with any coaches
or athletes that you know.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Most people understand that you can only excel
above others in the area that you practice in.
This is true of both mental and physical abilities.
You can discuss this in detail with any coaches
or athletes that you know.

That may be true, but that has nothing to do with your claim that being physically capable in one regards means that you will do poorly in other regards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Excellent game II was good as well.

1. Yes, those from an intelligent entity if they posses enough intelligence.

2. Not even close, We are just getting around to trying to devise ways for the blind to see. Our best attempts to improve eyesight are called glasses, binoculars, etc.

3. Vision enhancements, perhaps some motor skills enhancments (articifical legs, arms etc of a higher technology), assuming near feature is 25 years.

Upvote 0