Question on EO and OO

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are 2 OO priests, 2 OO laymen, and 1 OO Bishop in my class at seminary. Aside from not accepting Chalcedon and the subsequent condemnations of some of their saints (Especially Severus), we have been hard pressed to find any significant theological difference. From what I can tell, the hard-line Monophysitism that existed around the time of the Schism no longer exists in their church. It speaks to the similarity of our theology that they can attend our seminaries to be ordained in their churches.

Even among the OO churches at the time of the schism, there was considerable effort to promote unity that would have likely worked if not for the hardline Monophysite monastics starting riots over the idea.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are 2 OO priests, 2 OO laymen, and 1 OO Bishop in my class at seminary. Aside from not accepting Chalcedon and the subsequent condemnations of some of their saints (Especially Severus), we have been hard pressed to find any significant theological difference. From what I can tell, the hard-line Monophysitism that existed around the time of the Schism no longer exists in their church. It speaks to the similarity of our theology that they can attend our seminaries to be ordained in their churches.

Even among the OO churches at the time of the schism, there was considerable effort to promote unity that would have likely worked if not for the hardline Monophysite monastics starting riots over the idea.

Probably didn't help by the fact that some of the Byzantine Emperors and Empresses were monophysites...

Upvote 0

Nephi

May 15, 2010
Ohio
✟15,515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Probably didn't help by the fact that some of the Byzantine Emperors and Empresses were monophysites...

St. Theodora, wife of Emperor St. Justinian, was a miaphysite, and helped establish and encourage miaphysite churches, monastics, and evangelism to non-Christian regions. Orthodox summaries say she "repented," but non-Orthodox summaries say nothing of the sort and imply she supported miaphysites until she died. St. Justinian apparently safeguarded a miaphysite community after her death, which she had looked after.

Thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0