Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I was wondering what Lutheran belief was regarding confessing and receiving absolution for sins. I was reading a thread in GT which mentioned absolution as part of the liturgy and that it may be encouraged to have private confession as well. Is this viewed as a sacrament, or simply a good practice? Does it depend on the Synod?

I ask because I was teaching Church History last spring, and during the Reformation there was a note about Lutheran beliefs regarding the sacraments, that there could be two or three, depending on how confession was looked upon (it was a high school text book, so it didn't go into too much detail). The students, thankfully, didn't ask many questions, but in case some do in the future, I would like to be prepared to answer their questions about this from the perspective of Lutherans.

Thank you for your help!

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Howdy. Our confessions are not consistent. For Lutherans the normal understanding of “sacrament” is that it consists of three parts: 1) instituted by Jesus Christ, 2) for the forgiveness of sins, and 3) connected with a visible sign.

Obviously Matthew 18:15-20, John 20:23, Ephesians 4:32, etc. establish #1 and #2. The lack of a visible sign (like water in Baptism or bread and wine in the Lord’s Supper) technically doesn’t qualify Absolution as a sacrament. But our Confessions at times speak about it as a sacrament. The key is what it does (forgives sins) not whether it meets our definition of sacrament. And yes, that is strongly encouraged.

Most worship services include some form of Confession and Absolution (minor services, like Matins, Vespers, do not).

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Absolution is a means of grace, we all believe that according to the keys. As filo said it is not clearly a sacrament (although the language is sometimes used). Private absolution is retained for the sake of particularly burdensome sins which one feels must be confessed aloud and hear forgiveness for that to know it truly is forgiven. Corporate confession and absolution is the norm though (at least in American Lutheranism).

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
While not a sacrament by the strictest definition, it is a "sacramental act".

If we eased up the definition a little bit more, we would still have 7 like the RCC does;).

No, we would have to change the definition. Because our definition has “forgiveness of sins” (conveying God’s grace) as the heart of being a sacrament. Marriage certainly would not fall into that category. I don’t mean that forgiveness is not applied in marriage, but the essence of marriage is not forgiveness of sins (being married does not convey grace, there is no promise attached to it).

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

No, we would have to change the definition. Because our definition has “forgiveness of sins” (conveying God’s grace) as the heart of being a sacrament. Marriage certainly would not fall into that category. I don’t mean that forgiveness is not applied in marriage, but the essence of marriage is not forgiveness of sins (being married does not convey grace, there is no promise attached to it).

You are correct. The Lutheran definition does make this very important distinction; in that through Scripture, the purpose of the Church is to forgive sins.:)

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you where a Roman Catholic that wanted to become confessional Lutheran and still do private confession on a regular basis, I am sure you would have no problems find a pastor that would be overjoyed to have you.

Lutheran pastors have been trying for a while to resurrect the use of private confession in the Lutheran church by the laity, but they havn't been terribly successful in the US.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you where a Roman Catholic that wanted to become confessional Lutheran and still do private confession on a regular basis, I am sure you would have no problems find a pastor that would be overjoyed to have you.

Lutheran pastors have been trying for a while to resurrect the use of private confession in the Lutheran church by the laity, but they havn't been terribly successful in the US.

You are right! A couple of years ago, LCC in Convention passed a resolution to encourage private confession.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums