✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The United States Constitution states:
"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."
Now, nowhere does it says, in The U.S. Constitution,that a person has to be married, in order to be eligible to the office of President.
Therefore, my question is. Why have we not ever had a President that was single?

A single President would coast the U.S. tax payers less money, as the Secret Service would have less people to protect.

Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The United States Constitution states:
"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."
Now, nowhere does it says, in The U.S. Constitution,that a person has to be married, in order to be eligible to the office of President.
Therefore, my question is. Why have we not ever had a President that was single?

A single President would coast the U.S. tax payers less money, as the Secret Service would have less people to protect.
I just found out that the last single President that we had was elected in the year 1857.That was 161 years ago. His name was James Buchanan .Here is some info about James Buchanan.
"
  1. James Buchanan: Why is he considered America’s worst ...
    https://news.yahoo.com/james-buchanan-why-considered-america-worst...
    Apr 23, 2014 · James Buchanan. Source: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. Today, most people know Buchanan for three things: He was single for his entire presidency; he’s the only president from Pennsylvania; and he was the president before Abraham Lincoln."

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder whether being married helps when campaigning to become the presidential nominee. If The West Wing is anything to go by then it does seem that the wives can also play a role in building up the political capital that's required to secure the nomination. And I suppose there would be the perception that a single person doesn't know what it's like to have a family, which could mean that those people/groups who have family-related concerns would throw their support behind a candidate they can relate to i.e. one with a family.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We can apply the biblical qualifications of a Pastor to other forms of leadership too:
1 Timothy 3:1-7:
This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I wonder whether being married helps when campaigning to become the presidential nominee.
Yes. Also when seeking a position like ceo/ in the 'board' of a corporation, in congress, in many parts of politics , religion, or business.

Those who are single are easier broken (corrupted).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
@exitstageright That's a very good point. I never thought about that before. hm..
Thank you.This is just another example of how singles ,in this country,are being treated as second class citizens.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes. Also when seeking a position like ceo/ in the 'board' of a corporation, in congress, in many parts of politics , religion, or business.

Those who are single are easier broken (corrupted).

Well, then,I will just have to play the "Jesus Card". Jesus was not corrupted. And,Jesus was single. :)

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Well, then,I will just have to play the "Jesus Card". Jesus was not corrupted. And,Jesus was single.
Jesus is not running for office, not for any office, and never sinned.

His disciples never ran for office, not for any office, and all faithful ones repented of sin and served Yahweh in line with TORAH written on their hearts , by faith in Jesus, and in His Mercy.

The people of the world hate Jesus and hate His disciples.

Upvote 0