xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I am totally lost - I have no idea what some of the people here really mean when they say things.

I mean, English is my second language and I think I am going well - people do think I am South African (although I am a Serb - go figure, but it is O.K.) - and then I come to these forums and people have all these little sayings.

So, here is it for you - being Amricans and all, you will know what your own people are saying:

1. Do you have PERSONAL relationship with Jesus - not just heard about Him but KNOW Him PERSONALLY?

2. Are you SAVED?

3. Premil, pretrib, midtrib, trib....

Is this English?

^_^

godslittledancer

May 9, 2007
In God's creation
Visit site
✟17,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Having a personal relationship with Jesus just basicaly means that u accept Him as your Savior from sin when He died on the cross 4 u, and when u want to talk 2 Him, Praise Him, and keep on growing in ur relationship. Saved pretty much means the same thing. U have accepted Jesus as ur SAVior. The last things u said, I have know idea wut ur talkin bout.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone does. :eek:

I wonder what Saints Peter and Paul would have to say about this modern phenomenon of asking strangers, "Are you saved?" and "Have you accepted Jesus as your Personal Savior."

I guess they might have rolled their eyes in frustration.

Just kidding. The rolled eyes phenomenon is a Valley Girl invention.

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

Hi Stefan,:wave:

[FONT=&quot]Is having a "Sa'frican" accent really soooo bad? lol . I have to carry that burden every day!^_^

Seriously though, "Americanism's" do get a bit much sometimes. But if you grew up being Protestant like I was, it is easier to understand the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]abbreviated evangelical heresies and other beliefs.

Yes you can have a "personal" relationship with Jesus, just as you can have with the Theotokos or your Patron Saint. Just talk (Others call it prayer, but it's just a conversation) with Jesus or any of the Saints or your Guardian angel. They always hear you, and they love you more dearly than your mother did! Nothing can get more personal than that.

Many years,

Kolya
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am totally lost - I have no idea what some of the people here really mean when they say things.

I mean, English is my second language and I think I am going well - people do think I am South African (although I am a Serb - go figure, but it is O.K.) - and then I come to these forums and people have all these little sayings.

So, here is it for you - being Amricans and all, you will know what your own people are saying:

1. Do you have PERSONAL relationship with Jesus - not just heard about Him but KNOW Him PERSONALLY?

2. Are you SAVED?

Is this English?

^_^

Relax brother, I, quite often, don’t understand a thing people are posting so it makes two of us. It’s not just some wacky words, more of the time I find myself understanding posts differently from those that wrote them, so I wait till someone says something about it and then, from discussion, I try to figure out was that what I was thinking it is. :thumbsup:

Then again, some times, I just keep posting about a thing I understood until it seams it is important to me and that is why I’m so persistent or that there is something terribly wrong with my head. :p

Here, on TAW, I don’t hesitate to ask – I remember asking Xpycoctomos what does “Rep Nazis” means, and I’ve asked Protoevangel what are the “Tall houses” (we call this “mitrenia”), but outside of TAW – I don’t even dare to ask people – they’ll start making jokes about me - please don't. :D

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

2. Are you SAVED?

Is this English?

^_^
Wow, I didn't know English wasn't your first language! Your English is great.

The basic answer to 1 and 2 is that as long as you believe in Christ's divinity and you are trying to live the Christian life, you could answer "yes". The problem EOs and RCs get into with Protestants is trying to explain how and why we differ from them. They just want to know if you are a believer.

As for 3, that is all different understandings of the events in Revelation and the "Rapture". Most of them don't know that the Rapture and apocalypse scenario, as appears in the "Left Behind" fiction novels, came from a "vision" of a mystic during the 19th century. All the premil, postmil, midtrib, ect, ect refers to when someone thinks the Rapture will happen (post tribulation, mid-tribulation) or when the millennial reign of Christ will happen.
Premillennialism
Premillennialism is largely based upon a literal interpretation of Revelation 20:1-6 in the New Testament which describes Christ’s coming to the earth and subsequent reign at the end of an apocalyptic period of tribulation. It views this future age as a time of fulfillment for the prophetic hope of God’s people as given in the Old Testament.
Amillennialism
the amillennial view holds that the number of years in Revelation 20 is a symbolic number, not a literal description; that the millennium has already begun and is identical with the church age (or more rarely, that it ended with the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70); and that while Christ's reign is spiritual in nature during the millennium, at the end of the church age, Christ will return in final judgment and establish permanent physical reign.
Postmillennialism
Although some postmillennialists hold to a literal millennium of 1,000 years, most postmillennialists see the thousand years more as a figurative term for a long period of time (similar in that respect to Amillennialism). Among those holding to a non-literal "millennium" it is usually understood to have already begun, which implies a less obvious and less dramatic kind of millennium than that typically envisioned by premillennialists, as well as a more unexpected return of Christ.
Postmillennialism also teaches that the forces of Satan will gradually be defeated by the expansion of the Kingdom of God throughout history up until the second coming of Christ. This belief that good will gradually triumph over evil has led proponents of postmillennialism to label themselves "optimillennialists" in contrast to "pessimillennial" Premillennialists and Amillennialists.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Relax brother, I, quite often, don’t understand a thing people are posting so it makes two of us. It’s not just some wacky words, more of the time I find myself understanding posts differently from those that wrote them, so I wait till someone says something about it and then, from discussion, I try to figure out was that what I was thinking it is. :thumbsup:

Then again, some times, I just keep posting about a thing I understood until it seams it is important to me and that is why I’m so persistent or that there is something terribly wrong with my head. :p

Here, on TAW, I don’t hesitate to ask – I remember asking Xpycoctomos what does “Rep Nazis” means, and I’ve asked Protoevangel what are the “Tall houses” (we call this “mitrenia”), but outside of TAW – I don’t even dare to ask people – they’ll start making jokes about me - please don't. :D

nestoj
God helps
I'm an american and english is my 1st language-and I don't know what people are trying to say half the time either. GT/GH is full of weird conversations right now because enough of those folks don't know how to communicate effectively and don't seem to understand what is being communicated to them-I don't know if they don't read carefully or don't have a good grasp of basic logic in forming conclusions and carrying on conversations, but it so frustrating even reading some of the quagmire threads going on!!!

As Yeo-man would say-there's some "very undisciplined thinking"! :)

There's my vent!

BTW-I'm a regular in TAW & attend an Orthodox church, I just don't post much anymore because I usually feel like an idiot when I do.

Upvote 0

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Kolya it does represent a problem - especially due to Cricket :) I mean, you got no idea how much I had to cop from the people when we beat you in the World Cup - twice :).

Anyway, Many years! Good see you in these waters.

Thanks for all you answers.

It amazes me but, how confident we all are of our views.

Sometimes too confident it seems.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.