Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think one of the major problems I have with many of the so called watchers/warners/hh is that they seem to either:

1) Hold to some fringe doctrinal view that really isn't supported by scripture, or such support is so tenuous that if the definition of one word is slightly altered their argument comes crashing down like a house of cards

or

2) They take rejection of their message so personally that they feel they are able to exact retribution from those that don't listen or act like the world will end due to the heresy that is spreading.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
It is subsumed under the office of the pastor (poimenas) who is given charge to "watch" the flock of God under their care. By extension, one could also reason teachers and apostles.

Guarding the flock is one of the primary roles of the shepherd that carries on over into the metaphor in its application to the pastoral office.
I would completely agree that "watching the flock" is one of the responsibilities of the pastor, as shepherd. However, that role is always seen in scripture in the context of a pastoral relationship... not someone just as a "watcher" who is watching out for anyone and everyone.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would completely agree that "watching the flock" is one of the responsibilities of the pastor, as shepherd. However, that role is always seen in scripture in the context of a pastoral relationship... not someone just as a "watcher" who is watching out for anyone and everyone.
This is true . . . but teacher also falls into this grouping . . . you could also make a case for prophet . . . and both of these are to more than just specific local pastorates.

AND . . . as you well know brother . . . just cuz it aint mentioned don't mean nuthin. The listing of gifts are not exhaustive . . . nor are the listings of offices. Just cause the NT doesn't mention Church School Bus Drivers doesn't make them illegitemate. If there is a need . . . there is an gift, an office or a position. Exorcism comes to mind . . . certainly not mentioned in the NT . . . yet certainly folks trained in these matters are needed.

Given today's scope of communications and accessibility . . . I think such a role is required . . . though because of my high view of ecclesiology I would say that such a person could not just assume the role themselves . . . they would need the affirmation of their local church leadership . . . and if applicable, their denominational approval. Given the nature of the issue though . . . such a one had certainly be humble.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.