Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you find it disrespectful when young men or any man refer to women as chicks? I don't understand why they do this. There is this chick outside and she was like this or that, is what I hear a lot. My brothers refer to women this way.

Why can't they just say there is this lady outside?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: bèlla

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you find it disrespectful when young men or any man refer to women as chicks?

Yes, I find it disrespectful. Not as offensive as some other terms used to refer to women, but still mildly offensive.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,474.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A little bit context-dependant (in the sense that there are situations where it's clearly not intended disrespectfully), but on the whole it's not a term that conveys respect.

Upvote 0

KitKat1230

Truth Seeker
Oct 7, 2019
California
✟43,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, not really. That's just how I feel about it. To me calling a woman a chick is like calling a man a dude. I know other women feel differently and I respect that. It just never bothered me though. I call myself a chick and other women chicks all the time.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do you find it disrespectful when young men or any man refer to women as chicks? I don't understand why they do this. There is this chick outside and she was like this or that, is what I hear a lot. My brothers refer to women this way.

Why can't they just say there is this lady outside?

While we're on the subject, "lady" isn't the best either. The male equivalent of lady is gentleman.

I don't know about you, but I never, ever, say, "there is a gentleman knocking on the door." Because I don't know the dude, I don't know if he is a gentleman or not. He could be a jerk.

Dictionary.com has the following definitions:

Lady – “a woman who is refined, polite, and well spoken”

Gentleman – “a man of good family, breeding, or social position”

I know that referring to women as ladies is very commmon, but some women don't like it, and I can understand why. I recommend referring to women as women.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While we're on the subject, "lady" isn't the best either. The male equivalent of lady is gentleman.

I don't know about you, but I never, ever, say, "there is a gentleman knocking on the door." Because I don't know the dude, I don't know if he is a gentleman or not. He could be a jerk.

I know that referring to women as ladies is very commmon, but some women don't like it, and I can understand why. I recommend referring to women as women.

Noted

Thank you

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I changed my title

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I changed my title

This is just what I've learned from women in the last few years. There may be different opinions. I feel this is a pretty safe place to talk about these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
For me, it's often HOW one says it than the thing that is being said. I'm typically not bent out of shape by any of these words if spoken in a way that is not intended to be condescending or sexist, though of course in an employment-type setting or something similarly formal, I would expect an equal level of respect towards men and women, i.e. women shouldn't be called "girls" (or chicks) while men are called "men". It really often depends on what is appropriate for the setting and familiarity of the people involved. I think it kind of takes a certain level of social intelligence that is difficult to describe with words.

(I *do* actually use such statements in some settings as, "A gentleman is here to see you." I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves crass and rude. :) )

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a guy I prefer to call women women. I can see where chick would bring about a variety of opinions depending on context and im ok with that. I respect how everyone feels

What I absolutely cannot tolerate is the B word. I hate that word and it bothers me that some woman will even call themselves that word now. Ive seen mothers and fathers even call their toddler aged daughter that word

Alot of the times when men use it in a way where they intend to hurt a woman, the word would also apply to them by their own definition

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Their vernacular is a reflection of upbringing and associations. In my opinion, chick and dude are unflattering expressions that diminish the person. When we value someone we speak of them in glowing terms. Our respect and esteem is evident.

For an example, reference @SarahsKnight's posts on the one he adores. His delight is unmistakable. He respects her and never demeans her. That's how gentlemen behave.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums