Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
do any oriental orthodoxs have some good books, articles, or even sites concerning chalcedon i need a long list of books concerning Flavian, the tome, and St.Dioscorus so i can choose if OO is the true church may send of some may ask God bless
Oh and also some PDFs will do great

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
do any oriental orthodoxs have some good books, articles, or even sites concerning chalcedon i need a long list of books concerning Flavian, the tome, and St.Dioscorus so i can choose if OO is the true church may send of some may ask God bless
Oh and also some PDFs will do great

You should get Orthodox Christology by Fr. Peter Farrington.

• Agree
Reactions: dóxatotheó
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately there are only a few Oriental Orthodox who post on CF, and @dzheremi, who I would say is the most knowledgeable, has not been posting for quite some time. You might find it helpful to read through some of the threads in their sub-forum, The Voice In The Desert - Oriental Orthodox as someone may have already posted links to what you are looking for.
Don't forget to check in on the Eastern Orthodox sub-forum, The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox
as we have a lot of links to resources in St. Athanasius Chapel and Reference Library

Christ is risen!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The best book I've yet found in English concerning the Oriental Orthodox approach to Chalcedon and Christology more generally is Christology and the Council of Chalcedon by Fr. Shenouda Maher Ishak. It's about $50 via Amazon right now, but at over 700 pages is well worth the price. Fr. Shenouda is a serious academic scholar with a Ph.D. from Oxford who has published on church topics for over 40 years and represented us in an official capacity in ecumenical talks with the Chalcedonians in the more recent past. I would start there, together with a reputable academic translation of the acts of Chalcedon itself (I have the Gaddis and Price translation in two volumes that was published as part of Liverpool University's 'Translated Texts For Historians' series and would recommend that, though I'm sure it's not the only one that's available).

There are other works that would be good to know if you've already got a bit of background in the events surrounding Chalcedon, like Karekin Sarkissian's The Armenian Church and the Council of Chalcedon (published in the 1960s; can't remember the exact year at the moment), which is useful precisely because the Armenians are Oriental Orthodox despite not having been present at Chalcedon in the first place (due to the political problems of being ruled by the Persians at the time, who prevented fraternizing between their subjects and the enemy Byzantines insofar as was possible by arresting and imprisoning bishops and priests). So it can give you a different and perhaps more complete picture of Chalcedon from what would come to be known as the 'OO side', as they weren't involved in initial rupture (they wouldn't formally reject Chalcedon until 506, since they didn't know the details of what it had decided until their own Council of Dvin in that year), have never considered St. Dioscorus to be a saint, etc.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
do any oriental orthodoxs have some good books, articles, or even sites concerning chalcedon i need a long list of books concerning Flavian, the tome, and St.Dioscorus
In addition to the 4nd EC and the issue of Monophysitism, you also need to read about the 6th EC and the issue of Monothelitism. I find the latter more troubling than the former.

On a more practical level, OO theology is hardly distinguishable from RC theology as a large number of OO clergy and theologians were trained in Rome in the 19th century. But of course you will find the typical objections to Pope infallibility and the Filioque.

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The best book I've yet found in English concerning the Oriental Orthodox approach to Chalcedon and Christology more generally is Christology and the Council of Chalcedon by Fr. Shenouda Maher Ishak. It's about $50 via Amazon right now, but at over 700 pages is well worth the price. Fr. Shenouda is a serious academic scholar with a Ph.D. from Oxford who has published on church topics for over 40 years and represented us in an official capacity in ecumenical talks with the Chalcedonians in the more recent past. I would start there, together with a reputable academic translation of the acts of Chalcedon itself (I have the Gaddis and Price translation in two volumes that was published as part of Liverpool University's 'Translated Texts For Historians' series and would recommend that, though I'm sure it's not the only one that's available).

There are other works that would be good to know if you've already got a bit of background in the events surrounding Chalcedon, like Karekin Sarkissian's The Armenian Church and the Council of Chalcedon (published in the 1960s; can't remember the exact year at the moment), which is useful precisely because the Armenians are Oriental Orthodox despite not having been present at Chalcedon in the first place (due to the political problems of being ruled by the Persians at the time, who prevented fraternizing between their subjects and the enemy Byzantines insofar as was possible by arresting and imprisoning bishops and priests). So it can give you a different and perhaps more complete picture of Chalcedon from what would come to be known as the 'OO side', as they weren't involved in initial rupture (they wouldn't formally reject Chalcedon until 506, since they didn't know the details of what it had decided until their own Council of Dvin in that year), have never considered St. Dioscorus to be a saint, etc.
thank you my Orthodox Brother in Christ

• Friendly
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In addition to the 4nd EC and the issue of Monophysitism, you also need to read about the 6th EC and the issue of Monothelitism. I find the latter more troubling than the former.

On a more practical level, OO theology is hardly distinguishable from RC theology as a large number of OO clergy and theologians were trained in Rome in the 19th century. But of course you will find the typical objections to Pope infallibility and the Filioque.
the initial rejections of filioque originated from an addition to the creed which everyone knows was an addition and pope infallibility is rejected from there own saints they venerate and miaphysite is almost the same as dyophysite but its a more original explanation which is “one nature of the Word incarnate” The Coptic Orthodox Church was accused of being 'Monophysite' in the Council of Chalcedon. We believe that "Christ's divinity parted not from His humanity which means each nature was in respect of each other not for a single moment nor a twinkling of an eye" and we recite this statement in every liturgy. As a result, we are Miaphysite and not Monophysite. Miaphysitism means the Lord Jesus Christ is perfect human and perfect divine and these two natures are united together without mingling, nor confusion, nor alteration in one nature; the nature of God incarnate. that means each nature is in respects of each other not distinguished entirely from each other that would be nestorianism.

Upvote 0