Question for non-christian religions

biblebabe003

Nov 7, 2004
✟219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ok, I have a question for people of religions other than christianity. i dont know too much about other religions, but i've heard that a lot of them believe everyone goes to Heaven, no matter what. I just don't understand that because it definitely sounds nice, but don't you think there are people who don't deserve to? Also, what would be the point of spending your whole life being good and following your religion if it doesn't really matter in the end?
Thanks for your help!

Muslim

Oct 14, 2004
✟1,547.00
Faith
Muslim
biblebabe003 said:
Ok, I have a question for people of religions other than christianity. i dont know too much about other religions, but i've heard that a lot of them believe everyone goes to Heaven, no matter what. I just don't understand that because it definitely sounds nice, but don't you think there are people who don't deserve to? Also, what would be the point of spending your whole life being good and following your religion if it doesn't really matter in the end?
Thanks for your help!

I can't speak for other religions but in Islam that concept of everyone going to heaven does not exist.

Holy Quran

Chapter 13, Verses 22. Those who patiently persevere, seeking the countenance of their Lord; Establish regular prayers; spend, out of (the gifts) We have bestowed for their sustenance, secretly and openly; and turn off Evil with good: for such there is the final attainment of the (eternal) home,-

23. Gardens of perpetual bliss: they shall enter there, as well as the righteous among their fathers, their spouses, and their offspring: and angels shall enter unto them from every gate (with the salutation):

24. "Peace unto you for that ye persevered in patience! Now how excellent is the final home!"

25. But those who break the Covenant of Allah, after having plighted their word thereto, and cut asunder those things which Allah has commanded to be joined, and work mischief in the land;- on them is the curse; for them is the terrible home!

Upvote 0

Isis-Astoroth

Jan 4, 2004
England
✟8,745.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
In Satanism, there are no free handouts. You get what you work for. The belief in an afterlife is an individual thing, each person will believe differently. But I personally believe that, I will continue to reincarnate til I have finally achieved Godhead. Nobody will just shoot me there, I have to work for it myself.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste Biblebabe,

welcome to the forum and thank you for the post.

biblebabe003 said:
i dont know too much about other religions, but i've heard that a lot of them believe everyone goes to Heaven, no matter what.
not all religions have a concept of rewards and punishments and thus, no heavens or hells. my particular religion actually considers a rebirth in the heavenly realms to be not as good as rebirth as a human, go figure :)

I just don't understand that because it definitely sounds nice, but don't you think there are people who don't deserve to?
no. even within the theistic systems that have these rewards and punishment systems, i feel that no finite being is ever deserving of an infinite punishment.

Also, what would be the point of spending your whole life being good and following your religion if it doesn't really matter in the end?
Thanks for your help!
if the point of being religious is a nice reward when you die, it is my view that you are missing the point. we really cannot know what will happen... God is not limited to how humans understand things... as such, the only thing that you can ensure is that, at this very momemnt in time, you try to be of benefit to the beings that are suffering.

i'm not really a Pauline Christian, i'm more of a fan of the James Gang ;)

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
In the religion I belong to not everyone will go to Heaven, but some non-members will - and some members will not. It's up to God. He decides.

I agree there are some people who do not deserve it, but a while back I found a passage in our Scripture which seems to say that God will forgive whoever He pleases, and we had better not try to argue with God that He made the wrong choice.

I think being good is an end in itself. I do it to brighten the world around me, not because I'm trying to get a reward for myself.

Upvote 0

pensive

Dec 14, 2004
✟8,295.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
biblebabe003 said:
Ok, I have a question for people of religions other than christianity. i dont know too much about other religions, but i've heard that a lot of them believe everyone goes to Heaven, no matter what.
I'm not sure that accurately describes my religion at all. But we'll set tht aside for now.

biblebabe003 said:
I just don't understand that because it definitely sounds nice, but don't you think there are people who don't deserve to?
Why is heaven necessarily about "deserving" it? Saturday, my nieces and nephews will be opening gifts from me. Do they "deserve" those gifts? I don't know. I don't think the question is very relevant. I give them gifts because I love them and I enjoy it.

I often also find myself wondering why the afterlife has to be about morality, anyway.

biblebabe003 said:
Also, what would be the point of spending your whole life being good and following your religion if it doesn't really matter in the end?
Whatever happened to being good for it's own sake? Whatever happened to taking pride in one's own character, integrity, and honor? I think it was Albert Einstein who said it was a sorry person who only acted moral out of a fear of punishment or in hope of reward. I honestly hope that most Christians aren't being good just to get to heaven. (And I don't think they are, as a whole.)

Upvote 0

biblebabe003

Nov 7, 2004
✟219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I definitely didn't mean that I'm just following my religion to get into Heaven. I was thinking more about how motivated I am to tell others about how awesome God is and try to get them to believe because I don't want them to go to hell. If everyone goes to heaven than it wouldn't matter quite as much if they believed or not. it also seems like someone could decide they have a lot of fun killing people and torturing them, so as long as they weren't being punished for it, why not do it? Well, like I said, I don't know much about the religions that believe this so I was just trying to find out more.
Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

pensive

Dec 14, 2004
✟8,295.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
biblebabe003 said:
I was thinking more about how motivated I am to tell others about how awesome God is and try to get them to believe because I don't want them to go to hell. If everyone goes to heaven than it wouldn't matter quite as much if they believed or not.
Quite true. And this is an important difference between Christianity and some other religions. Some religions -- including my own -- don't seek converts. In fact, some strongly feel that not all people are called to their religion. In some religions, the gods call to certain people while acknowledging that other people are not "theirs." As such, they should be free to follow other gods (or not follow any gods) as they choose or are called to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Star_Pixels

Nov 24, 2004
Around
✟8,082.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
biblebabe003 said:
Thanks for your help!
You see, the afterlife is just a waiting point between incarnations. If you've been good, you will get something good to be reincarnated into. If you're bad, you'll wind up a mule.

Although Pensive is right. It really isn't about deserving or not deserving. You don't deserve something, but it is possible to earn something, such as by being somebody elses neice.

Upvote 0

ServantofTheOne

Aug 19, 2004
✟1,449.00
Faith
Muslim
the Creator is the only one to decide whether we are rewarded or punished.

for those who believe all people will go to heavan no matter what, then they believe in injustice.

would it be just of the Creator to excuse the crimes of hitler, stalin, bush, mussolini, mao, etc??? are these people to get the same as those who strive for goodness in the world???

We believe in a just god. Allah promised us that we will get what we earn.

Life is a test, a final test, there is no retakes, no second chances, no extra-credit after the fact. once we are in the grave, that is it, #2 pencils down.

such a grave chance some people take not investigating the reality of existance. they spend so much time and effort in pursuit of temporary things like desires, money, power... what will become of all those material things when they are in the grave? Doesn't the purpose of life deserve to be given the time and effort to atleast investigate and pursue the truth.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My religion is about responsibility and accountability not about punishment. Actions in this life can have consequences that can take many lives to correct or ameliorate. Work may be accepted in this life that will take many lifetimes to achieve.

Imagine how many lifetimes it would take a Hitler to pay off the terrible debt to all the souls whose life-works he destroyed. That's if he knew what he'd done and accepted responsibility and wanted to make amends. Punishment? No. Easy? No. Fair? I think so. Others may disagree.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe in karma & reincarnation. I, like pensive, do not seek converts. I am delighted at your interest in the diverse beliefs of the world, biblebabe003. I have met people so insecure in their own beliefs that they would never read the writings of another faith or enter their places of worship.

As for disciple4christ -- Feel free to tell me that my beliefs are lies as much as you want. Perhaps telling someone that their life is a lie will make them love God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
biblebabe003 said:
I agree that Christianity is the only true religion, but how can you ever convert others if you don't understand their beliefs?
Good point. Christians who try to convert me not only do not understand my beliefs, they don't even want to try to understand them. Which does not really get me interested in what they are saying to me.

Upvote 0

lovemysoldier

Oct 24, 2004
✟8,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have enjoyed reading the different beliefs posted in this thread. Personally, hearing other people's perspectives on things challenges me to think about my faith in ways that I would not have otherwise and my beliefs are strengthened as a result. I am a Christian and I find that my beliefs can vary significantly even within my Christian family. We are all unique and can learn a lot from each other's experiences.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Isis-Astoroth said:
In Satanism, there are no free handouts. You get what you work for. The belief in an afterlife is an individual thing, each person will believe differently. But I personally believe that, I will continue to reincarnate til I have finally achieved Godhead. Nobody will just shoot me there, I have to work for it myself.

How does a Satanist get to heaven? Do you guys win?

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
would it be just of the Creator to excuse the crimes of hitler, stalin, bush, mussolini, mao, etc??? are these people to get the same as those who strive for goodness in the world???

Godwin's law
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Guilt by Association

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
morningstar2651 said:
Godwin's law
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Guilt by Association
True, true. Bit of a rush to bring them up already on page 2. It must mean the discussion took a short-cut. ;)

Just kidding! Discussions go where they will!

Upvote 0