Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi HC! Welcome to the RM forum!

Short answer? No, it's not required :thumbsup:
It does depend a lot on the culture of the congregation you visit - some congregations dress a little more formally than others while some are more informal. It really depends on the congregation, the people, the city/town/state in which the church resides, among other things - but there are no "rules" per se.

You might want to read through the thread here entitled "Appropriate attire for worship." This topic was thoroughly (and then some) addressed by a variety of people/opinions here. :)

Upvote 0

HappyChicken

Domestic Egg Executive
Nov 11, 2007
Indiana
✟8,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the quick answer. I was curious because I attended a Church of Christ church with my aunt occasionally as a kid, when I would go spend a weekend with her. My mom's side of my family all go to the Church of Christ and I have a great uncle who is a minister of one, but I rarely have the opportunity to speak with him. The reason my mom decided against taking us to a Church of Christ as a child is because she said it was "too strict" and she did not think we would like it....I think it was her and my dad that probably did not like it. I could care less what I need to wear to church, however, my husband will only wear jeans. He says God sees us however we really are anyways, so he does not need to dress to impress anyone.

Upvote 0

mike74

Jul 16, 2008
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi, the other day i was at my local anglican informal evening service, the vicar was giving us an up date about the women bishops and homosexual issues that are going on with our church.
i had some wisdom from the lord and quoted 1 cor 3 v10-15 about people building on the foundation, i then went on to say that we are all sinners and to get tied up in the law means Jesus died for nothing, (i believe in doing what god wants and try to be as pure as possible) after i spoke one of the pastors said "sounds like church of christ to me, we are part of the catholic church"
as if they thought that i had a background with the church of christ but id never heard of you (im quite new sorry)
can any one here give any advice to what he might have ment.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi, the other day i was at my local anglican informal evening service, the vicar was giving us an up date about the women bishops and homosexual issues that are going on with our church.
i had some wisdom from the lord and quoted 1 cor 3 v10-15 about people building on the foundation, i then went on to say that we are all sinners and to get tied up in the law means Jesus died for nothing, (i believe in doing what god wants and try to be as pure as possible) after i spoke one of the pastors said "sounds like church of christ to me, we are part of the catholic church"
as if they thought that i had a background with the church of christ but id never heard of you (im quite new sorry)
can any one here give any advice to what he might have ment.

I suggest asking the one who said, "Sounds like church of christ [sic] to me," what they meant by the statement. Then, please come back here so we can discuss it. I would also like to know what they meant.

Upvote 0
W

wmssid

To the Forum:

I was born, and raised up in the faith, on the other side of the "Captivity."

We did niot wear Prison Uniforms as a sign of our Captivity.

Because we respected God, and because we respected the Body, we dressed up to demonstrate our Extreme Love (agape) for God and man.

Our nation is in Captivity to several powers.

1. The Beast.
2. The "Original" Antichrist.
3. Peer-pressure.

Little chidren today are fearful of attending school without their Prison Uniform. ["Variety is the spice of life," especially with clothing. But Peer-pressure has removed all beauty and independence in the schools.]

Grown men today are fearful of attending church without their Prison Uniform.

And, all of these things have only come about since ,"The Death of God Theology: in our Bible Colleges, since the 1960s. [Millennium into Captivity in 1959.]

I am certain that you can determine what, the "Prison Unfrom" I have depicted here consists of. What is the most popular Prison Uniform?

But then, if your bodies are in Captivity, then so are your minds.

In Extreme Love (agape),

wmssid

Upvote 0

Caleb4387

Feb 16, 2009
✟15,143.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I go to a fellowship that is held in a city and the people that make it up happen to be more preppy city folks type that wera khakis and dress shirts, while I also attend a fellowship on a farm and everyone wears jeans and overalls and boots. I dont believe in legalism so we dont have any right to say what people should wear; however; out of respect it is best SOMETIMES to follow accepted social norms and dress with respect of the occassion. We recently hosted a young adult advance and requested that opening night everyone wear a coat and tie. Out of respect for the hosts I would do this, but for our regular home fellowship, i dont give a flip what ya wear if aint vulgar.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that answers the question really. I don't believe that God expects us to dress too differently than the rest of our culture, and different places will expect that different things are worn (modesty and similar issues considered, of course). Christianity exists in such a way that it can fit into any culture; it does not seek to change the culture to conform to Christianity.

Upvote 0

Algol Omega

Meijin Ryuu
Dec 24, 2010
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,266.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you have to "dress-up" on Sunday mornings at a Church of Christ? I use to go sometimes with my aunt and we always dressed up.... not too fancy, but women wore dresses, and men wore slacks. Is that required??

I would say no; however, there probably is some congregation with the CoC title out there that probably does.

The local CoC I particularly attend is very laid-back in appearance. So long as you appear in a presentable manner, we couldn't care less what you're wearing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kampioen

Sep 21, 2012
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is considered miminum essential doctrine to fellowship as Christian with those in the Restoration Movement? What is considered minimum essential doctrine to hold a leadership position in a Restoration Movement local congregation? Would a Restoration church participate with a non-restoration church in evangelism in local areas?

Upvote 0

Gozreht

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kampioen,

This is a different question that the opening paragraph. It might do well to go to the place where the RM (or No Creed but Christ) is described on the first list of topics http://www.christianforums.com/t2931162/

It is pretty much what I would believe as someone in that fellowship of believers.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
A

AylaKay

At the coC I attend, pretty much everyone dresses up. Men wear suits and ties, women wear dresses or dress pants and nice tops. However, I went on one Sunday in jeans and a t-shirt because the baby spit up all over me right before we left and I had nothing else clean to change into, and nobody looked at me weird or anything.

Upvote 0

heapshake

The Great Pumpkin
Mar 11, 2002
Missouri
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the coC I attend, pretty much everyone dresses up. Men wear suits and ties, women wear dresses or dress pants and nice tops. However, I went on one Sunday in jeans and a t-shirt because the baby spit up all over me right before we left and I had nothing else clean to change into, and nobody looked at me weird or anything.

Welcome to the forum. It is always good to see new posters in the Restoration Movement forums.

At the congregation I attend only the preacher wears a jacket & tie. A couple of women dress up on Sunday mornings, but everyone else is pretty casual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At our church, you'd see anything and everything from shorts and flip flops to coat and tie.
Our pastor usually wears a shirt and jeans. I, personally, wear a skirt and top and sandals or nice shoes but that's just me. My husband will wear jeans, shirt (with buttons) and sneakers. My kids...I require clean.

But...we live in the desert southwest so a lot depends on whether its January or July. At 100 degrees by 10am, pretty much everybody is going for cool and comfortable.

Upvote 0