Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question for Catholics?
After the Pope said this:

“All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. What other kind of truth is there? In the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful. Today, we no longer judge. Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice! For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God.”

Do you still see him as your spiritual leader?
Unless you view RCs as "unorthodox", the OBOB board would perhaps be a more appropriate board to ask that question.....IMHO

http://www.christianforums.com/f26/

One Bread, One Body - Catholic A forum open to Christians to discuss various Catholic beliefs and issues.

Upvote 0

donfish06

May The Lord Richly Bless You
Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A voice crying in the wilderness blasphemous sayings contrary to 1)scripture and 2)previous popes. But I guess an infinite God changes his mind on things?

"Given that — and this is the key point — God’s mercy has no limits, if you go to him with a sincere and repentant heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience,” Francis writes in his letter."

source

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A voice crying in the wilderness blasphemous sayings contrary to 1)scripture and 2)previous popes. But I guess an infinite God changes his mind on things?

"Given that -- and this is the key point -- God's mercy has no limits, if you go to him with a sincere and repentant heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience," Francis writes in his letter."

source

Your use of the word "blasphemous" is not only an insult; it is founded upon an ignorance of Catholic theology, which teaches that humankind's conscience is the sacrosanct connection--(the very seat of one's identity)--between the person and God.

St. Thomas Aquinas said that a person is so duty bound to his own conscience that he must follow it, even if he is wrong. Cardinal Karl Razinger--the future Pope Benedict XVI--said that nothing stands between one's conscience and God; and that one's conscience comes even before ecclesiastical authority.

I don't mind that you are incorrect; that is human. But what is insulting is the use of slanderous vocabulary. It is best to speak of that which one knows, but above all, to be civil.

Upvote 0

donfish06

May The Lord Richly Bless You
Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If following one's conscience is enough, or is even at least a GOOD thing, then there would have been no need for the cross, or the Holy Spirit to guide us. God sent his Son and his Spirit because our conscience ISN'T enough. Thus, I believe it is blasphemous.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If following one's conscience is enough, or is even at least a GOOD thing, then there would have been no need for the cross, or the Holy Spirit to guide us. God sent his Son and his Spirit because our conscience ISN'T enough. Thus, I believe it is blasphemous.
Most people, when asked, know the difference between right and wrong, but much too often ignore what their conscience is telling them. People also ignore the Holy Spirit, and everything that God provides us with to "do the right thing". That is because we have not only a conscience, but free will, and it requires great spiritual strength at times to listen to what the Spirit is saying to us, often through our conscience. And that applies as equally to those in the Church's hierarchy as it does to us lay people.

Contrary to what you seem to be saying, I find nothing at all blasphemous coming from our Pope. On the contrary, I find him refreshingly tuned into his conscience and to the Holy Spirit. Perhaps you need to read his actual words (not what others say he is saying) and then compare them with what Jesus says and does in the Gospels. This Pope is a rarity, not only in comparison to other popes, but in comparison to most other men in the Church hierarchy. He puts the teachings and commands of Jesus Christ before the words of men, whether from popes or bishops or whomever. He sees with the heart and acts accordingly, and it shows in his daily words and deeds. We and the rest of the world are singularly blessed to have him in Rome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Amen, amen, amen. When this guy started putting the, "Take the lesser seat at the banquet," stuff into papal practice, I was all hallelujahs. Only my millennarian tendencies inspire me to dread that this guy, then, might be one of the Two Witnesses or something... Doomed to assassination (if also, then, some form of resurrection)...

Upvote 0