Question Cats and new apartment

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
My landlord gave me a little over a month to vacate my place. She has friend who needs a place and that's that. Scum bag move but I don't have time to dwell on it.

So I checked out a place today outside of Boston, small place 630 square feet but by Boston area prices reasonable. I won't say how much for fear the forum will hold an an all night prayer vigil for me. Lol

So when I arrived the current tenant had two cats. Bleeping dander everywhere , I am allergic. I could feel my lungs constricting and eyes swelling.

So my question is, can this dander be cleaned? I read of anti dander spray and cleaning the floors and baseboards. There are no carpets all hardwood floors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Can this be controlled?

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That stinks! :mad: Call a carpet cleaning place and see if they have something to offer. If not, call a veterinarian you are familiar with and get some pointers from them. They are usually up on all the latest when it comes to pet allergies. Let me know your address and I'll send you a hairless cat as a housewarming gift! :p;) You know I got em! lol!
My landlord gave me a little over a month to vacate my place. She has friend who needs a place and that's that. Scum bag move but I don't have time to dwell on it.

So I checked out a place today outside of Boston, small place 630 square feet but by Boston area prices reasonable. I won't say how much for fear the forum will hold an an all night prayer vigil for me. Lol

So when I arrived the current tenant had two cats. Bleeping dander everywhere , I am allergic. I could feel my lungs constricting and eyes swelling.

So my question is, can this dander be cleaned? I read of anti dander spray and cleaning the floors and baseboards. There are no carpets all hardwood floors.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thing from cats that triggers allergies are proteins in their saliva, urine, and dander. They lick then shed their fur, too, of course. It can be cleaned up, but it requires an effort like preparing an electronics clean room or surgery operating room for especially sensitive people. The allergens are light enough that they can stay suspended in air a long time. Curtains, upholstery, rugs, and any porous material will hold onto the allergens, including sticking to walls. Since the allergens are cumulative, a thorough cleaning of a space which has not been cleaned in a long time should help. If the cats remain present, however, the place needs ongoing effort to keep clean.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks guys, yes I will check with my Primary Care Physcian. No these two mangy creatures will be gone. Lol

There is no carpet all hardwood. I will request a good cleaning.

I read of this stuff, anti allergy spray.

https://www.amazon.com/ADMS-Anti-Allergen-Spray-32-oz/dp/B0010DLYR4

After it is cleaned I will spray everything with that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dry clean any curtains and shampoo upholstery before using the spray if you want the best results. There isn't much hope of getting everything in cushions neutralized if the cat has been using them for years, but removing more is better than removing less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Dry clean any curtains and shampoo upholstery before using the spray if you want the best results. There isn't much hope of getting everything in cushions neutralized if the cat has been using them for years, but removing more is better than removing less.

It will be an empty apartment. There will be no fabric. The floors are hardwood. So that helps.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Find a cleaning crew and have them go through the place before you move in. ;)

Massachusetts way, pay someone to fix it. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband gets like that off and on. He just stays away from the petting or takes an over the counter allergy med.
My allergies to cats are bad. Weird thing is they started later in life. I get asthmatic and my eyes swell up.

Upvote 0