Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been reading with enjoyment the various threads touching on different petals of the TULIP.

While I fall somewhere in the middle of everything, I have recently been asking myself this question: Does it matter at all to my salvation/relationship with God if I either believe or don't believe in one or any of the points of Calvinism?

And to follow up, if it doesn't matter, why is there such contention whenever the subject is brought up? Shouldn't we be more interested and affirming in the things we have in unity than to tear each other down over non essential things that don't matter in the long run?

Thanks in advance!

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've been reading with enjoyment the various threads touching on different petals of the TULIP.

While I fall somewhere in the middle of everything, I have recently been asking myself this question: Does it matter at all to my salvation/relationship with God if I either believe or don't believe in one or any of the points of Calvinism?

And to follow up, if it doesn't matter, why is there such contention whenever the subject is brought up? Shouldn't we be more interested and affirming in the things we have in unity than to tear each other down over non essential things that don't matter in the long run?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of theological energy has been invested in this topic on CF, with not too many agreed conclusions IMO. There are enthusiasts who go either way and state their positions with biblical emphases.

Would you be so kind as to help me understand what your view is on essential vs non-essential things?

Oz

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... different petals of the TULIP...
These things are valuable as they agree with scripture. The problem comes when there is more than 5 things the Bible tells us are important.

I have discussed things with people who are convinced that God does NOTHING for people who are not predestined to be right with God by election. This is not true according to scripture, but the human mind takes a simple statement of Calvinism, and makes it to embody the whole realm of truth.

We can discuss the validity of these statements, but if we replace scripture with ANYTHING ELSE, we run a risk that may jeopardize our own souls. We cannot be in unity with people who refuse the truth of the scriptures, whether they go under the name of Calvinist or any other.

There are religions where UNITY is all that matters, and if you have any moral compunction against the evil deeds of that religion, you are as bad as any other heretic or infidel. There is much we can find to be in unity over, and that should all be based in the Holy Scriptures, and our unity be in the Holy Spirit of God.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I apologize that it's taken me this long to get back. Lot's of things happening around here.

Would you be so kind as to help me understand what your view is on essential vs non-essential things?

Oz

My view on essentials is what it will take for a soul to get to heaven when the body passes away.

I'm not a biblical scholar like a lot of people in here seem to be, but in my view, a true faith that Christ is our savior, that He was raised from the grave and sits in heaven. This is preceded by an honest repentence of sins, and a lifelong journey towards holy living after faith has transformed us.

Non essential doctrine, in my view, are man made theological arguments to justify things that hover around but make no impact on whether someone is saved or not. To me, it's things like: glossolalia, the whole TULIP thing, dispensationalist v. covenant v. replacement theology, style of worship (yes, I've heard it said someone is going to hell because they went to a church that played upbeat contemperary music), etc.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I apologize that it's taken me this long to get back. Lot's of things happening around here.

My view on essentials is what it will take for a soul to get to heaven when the body passes away.

I'm not a biblical scholar like a lot of people in here seem to be, but in my view, a true faith that Christ is our savior, that He was raised from the grave and sits in heaven. This is preceded by an honest repentence of sins, and a lifelong journey towards holy living after faith has transformed us.

Non essential doctrine, in my view, are man made theological arguments to justify things that hover around but make no impact on whether someone is saved or not. To me, it's things like: glossolalia, the whole TULIP thing, dispensationalist v. covenant v. replacement theology, style of worship (yes, I've heard it said someone is going to hell because they went to a church that played upbeat contemperary music), etc.

Thanks HM for your response. In essence I'm in agreement with you. While I'm Baptistic in my beliefs, I would place mode of baptism and frequency of celebrating the Lord's Supper in the non-essential category.

Oz

Upvote 0

Winman

Oct 5, 2014
✟7,678.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I would say the L in TULIP is supremely important. The L in TULIP stands for Limited Atonement. Many Calvinists (but not all) do not believe that Jesus died for all men's sins, but for the elect only.

Is that the gospel that Paul preached?

1 Cor 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

No honest Calvinist who believes in Limited Atonement can tell another person, "Jesus died for OUR sins according to the scriptures" because they have no idea who the elect are.

Most Calvinists will say something like, "Jesus died for SINNERS" but this is only a half-truth at best, as it gives the impression that Jesus died for all sinners, which Calvinists who believe in Limited Atonement do not believe.

No, if a Calvinist that believes in Limited Atonement is honest, they can only tell people that Jesus died for "some" sinners, but they have no idea who these particular sinners are.

Is that important?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would say the L in TULIP is supremely important. The L in TULIP stands for Limited Atonement. Many Calvinists (but not all) do not believe that Jesus died for all men's sins, but for the elect only.

1 Cor 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

No honest Calvinist who believes in Limited Atonement can tell another person, "Jesus died for OUR sins according to the scriptures" because they have no idea who the elect are.

Most Calvinists will say something like, "Jesus died for SINNERS" but this is only a half-truth at best, as it gives the impression that Jesus died for all sinners, which Calvinists who believe in Limited Atonement do not believe.

No, if a Calvinist that believes in Limited Atonement is honest, they can only tell people that Jesus died for "some" sinners, but they have no idea who these particular sinners are.

Is that important?

WinMan,

I'm in agreement with you that unlimited atonement vs limited atonement is an important doctrine. Unlimited atonement is supported by a Scripture such as 1 John 2:2, 'He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world' (ESV).

It is absolutely important that the doctrine of the atonement is made clear.

Oz

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks in advance!

I definitely try to share as much as I can in unity with my brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of where they stand on some topics; but when it comes to the character of God, and the gospel, I think it is extremely important to take a stand: for my conscience, for the sake of the person who believes something contrary to the truth, and for the sake of unbelievers who may be led to think of God in a negative light because of falsehood.

I just wish that these discussions were carried out in a manner that honor's our fundamental unity in Christ.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,316.00
Faith
Baptist

Thanks in advance!

All of the five points of Calvinism were deduced from the concept that God became absolutely sovereign when Adam sinned in the garden and man lost his free will.

Total Depravity
Man became spiritually dead—blind and deaf to the things of God. Therefore he is in bondage to his new, sinful nature.

Unconditional Election
Because man had become spiritually dead, election for salvation could not be conditional upon anything that man might do.

Limited Atonement
God chose, according to His sovereign will, to save those persons whom He had elected to salvation.

Irresistible Grace
The call to salvation comes from the Holy Spirit; and fallen man, not having a free will, is unable to resist the call.

Perseverance of the Saints

God is absolutely sovereign and those whom He calls cannot fail to persevere.

I believe that the Christian’s focus should not be upon his salvation, but upon God, who He is, His character, and what He wants from us. Therefore, we ask, “Is God absolutely sovereign—or does man still have a free will? In Genesis 4:8, we find a premeditated murder, showing that Cain chose to murder his brother—not because of the sovereign will of God—which is opposed to murder—but because Cain was jealous of his brother Abel. As we continue to read the Old Testament, we read of very many more instances in which men violated the sovereign will of God by sinning. In the Book of Jonah we read about how the sovereign will of God interacted with the will of men. God, according to His sovereign will, brought Jonah to Nineveh, the capitol of the Assyrian Empire—one of the most evil empires ever to be:

Jonah 3:3. So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days' walk.
4. Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown."
5. Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them.
6. When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he arose from his throne, laid aside his robe from him, covered himself with sackcloth and sat on the ashes.
7. He issued a proclamation and it said, "In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let man, beast, herd, or flock taste a thing. Do not let them eat or drink water.
8. "But both man and beast must be covered with sackcloth; and let men call on God earnestly that each may turn from his wicked way and from the violence which is in his hands.
9. "Who knows, God may turn and relent and withdraw His burning anger so that we will not perish."
10. When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it. (NASB, 1995

It is of critical importance that the Christian understands how the sovereign will of God interacts with our will and the will of others. God is sovereign, but in accord with His sovereign will, He has given man a free will. When we violate His will, He chastens us. When we ignore His chastening, the chastening intensifies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
PrincetonGuy

All of the five points of Calvinism were deduced from the concept that God became absolutely sovereign when Adam sinned in the garden and man lost his free will.

That's not what Joshua 24:15 affirms: 'But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD' (NIV).

Free will - the ability to choose gods or serving the Lord - was not lost at Adam's fall. Joshua 24:15 confirms this.

Oz

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,316.00
Faith
Baptist
PrincetonGuy

That's not what Joshua 24:15 affirms: 'But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD' (NIV).

Free will - the ability to choose gods or serving the Lord - was not lost at Adam's fall. Joshua 24:15 confirms this.

Oz

Did you read my post? Perhaps I need to simplify it.

God is NOT absolutely sovereign.

All five points of Calvinism are based on a false premise.

Indeed, in previous CF posts I have used the example of Joshua 24:15 to document that man retained his free will after the fall. I have also posted this:

The Jewish people prior to the time of Christ very strongly believed that man, despite the fall of Adam, retained the free will that Adam had in the beginning. This Jewish teaching is very clearly stated in Ecclesiasticus* 15:14 -20:

Ecclesiasticus 15:14 Hee himselfe made man from the beginning, and left him in the hand of his counsell,
15 If thou wilt, to keepe the Commandements, and to performe acceptable faithfulnesse.
16 He hath set fire and water before thee: stretch forth thy hand vnto whether thou wilt.
17 Before man is life and death, and whether him liketh shalbe giuen him.
18 For the wisedome of the Lord is great, and he is mighty in power, and beholdeth all things,
19 And his eyes are vpon them that feare him, & hee knoweth euery worke of man.
20 Hee hath commanded no man to do wickedly, neither hath he giuen any man license to sinne. (Apocrypha, King James Version, 1611)

Ecclesiasticus 15:14. It was he who created humankind in the beginning,
and he left them in the power of their own free choice.
15. If you choose, you can keep the commandments,
and to act faithfully is a matter of your own choice.
16. He has placed before you fire and water;
stretch out your hand for whichever you choose.
17. Before each person are life and death,
and whichever one chooses will be given.
18. For great is the wisdom of the Lord;
he is mighty in power and sees everything;
19. his eyes are on those who fear him,
and he knows every human action.
20. He has not commanded anyone to be wicked,
and he has not given anyone permission to sin. (Apocrypha, New Revised Standard Version)

Jesus Himself was a Jew and there is no evidence in His teaching in the New Testament that He believed any differently. Indeed, He began His ministry commanding those Jews to whom He spoke to repent and believe in the Gospel.

Mark 1:14. Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
15. and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” (NASB, 1995)

Therefore, we can be absolutely certain that Jesus believed that unregenerate Jews have the ability in themselves to repent and believe in the Gospel. Jesus was not just a man, He was the Son of God and the second person of the Trinity and there is no evidence whatsoever in the Scriptures that He ever changed His mind and concluded that unregenerate Jews are totally depraved.

Should we take a host of Scriptures out of context as Loraine Boettner and others have done, or should we agree with Jesus that men have, despite the fall of Adam, retained the free will that Adam had in the beginning and have the ability in themselves to repent and believe in the Gospel?

*Although Ecclesiasticus is regarded by Protestants, including myself, to be an Apocryphal book and not inspired in the same sense as the 39 books in the Protestant Old Testament Canon, it is theologically sound and was included in the Old Testament Canon until it was removed during the Protestant Reformation. Indeed, the Book of Sirach is found in the Septuagint, the version of the Old Testament most often used by the first century Christians and the version most frequently quoted in the New Testament, and came to be known as the Liber Ecclesiasticus, meaning the Church Book, because it was extensively used by the very early church to teach moral behavior.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
PrincetonGuy,

You say,

God is NOT absolutely sovereign.
I disagree. He is absolutely sovereign and that sovereignty includes the free will decisions of human beings.

3d-red-star-small.png
God is before all things (Ps 90:2; Col 1:17);
3d-red-star-small.png
All things were created by God (Jn 1:3);
3d-red-star-small.png
God sustains all things (Heb 1:3);
3d-red-star-small.png
God is above and over all things ( Eph 4:6);
3d-red-star-small.png
God is all knowing (Ps 139:4-6; Heb 4:13);
3d-red-star-small.png
God is all-powerful (Gen 18:4);
3d-red-star-small.png
God's sovereignty implies that He does what He wills (Isa 14:24, 27).

This sovereignty means that
3d-red-star-small.png
God is the ruler over all things (1 Chron 29:11-12);
3d-red-star-small.png
God does whatever He pleases (i.e. is in control of everything) (Ps 115:3);
3d-red-star-small.png
Earthly kings are controlled by God (Prov 21:1);
3d-red-star-small.png
God's control extends to human events (Isa 55:11);
3d-red-star-small.png
Good and evil angels are under God's control (Col 1:15-16; Eph 1:21; 1 Ki 22:19-22);
3d-red-star-small.png
God controls Satan (Job 1:6; 2:1; Rev 20:10);

This is the one we find most difficult to understand:
3d-red-star-small.png
God sovereignly controls our free choices, including our salvation (Eph 1:4, 11; 1 Pt 2:8).

God's sovereignty does not make free choice and human responsibility to be fakes. God is not a sovereign Puppet Master who pulls the strings of life for all people and nations. One of the great mysteries of God's sovereignty is that He is absolutely sovereign but human responsibility is genuine in the midst of this mystery.

Paul affirms the depth of the riches in God's wisdom and knowledge in Rom 11:33. Before him, Moses stated it profoundly,

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of the law (Deut 29:29 ESV).

I can conclude that some people can and do refuse to do God's will. However, that is to be understood as included in a biblical understanding of the sovereignty of God.

Therefore, I cannot accept your statement that 'God is NOT absolutely sovereign'.

Oz

Upvote 0

Winman

Oct 5, 2014
✟7,678.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That man has free will to worship God in truth or not is clearly stated in scripture by God himself;

Lev 1:1 And the LORD called unto Moses, and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD, ye shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock.
3 If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD.
4 And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him.

God himself said that any man among the Jews could bring an offering to the Lord, and that he shall offer it "of his own voluntary will". It doesn't get any clearer than that, men have free will to worship God or not.

The Calvinist will object that this is a false faith, but in verse 4 God said he would accept this offering from "any man" to make atonement for him.

So, all men are able to truly worship God in truth if they choose to do so, and God will accept it.

Again, the Calvinist will object and say unregenerate men cannot sincerely worship God, as they are slaves of their sin nature. Romans 6:17-18 easily refutes this false teaching;

Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Here Paul thanks God that these Romans, even though they were servants or slaves to sin, obeyed the gospel from their heart. This utterly refutes Total Inability and proves it false doctrine.

It was AFTER obeying and believing the gospel that these Romans were made free from sin and became servants of righteousness.

Calvinism is false doctrine easily refuted by MUCH scripture.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in advance!

Hi HumbleMan.

For me personally, and many others I have spoken to, an understanding of TULIP had real practical implications and affects on their salvation experience and their relationship with God.

Knowing that I was so sinful I would have never chosen God unless He had first chosen me, I am extremely grateful for his grace and have all the more reason to worship him and be thankful.

Contrast this with a salvation-model (Arminianism) that says my salvation is the result of me being clever enough to believe the gospel while my neighbor wasn't. How does that lead to greater adoration and worship of God for my salvation? What did God do to get me saved? Nothing, other than toss the gospel out there and leave it up to me, with the very real chance I would end up in hell.

However, as the Apostle Paul said, predestination is an act of love on God's part: In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ. (Eph 1:4-11).

I feel God's love for me that he predestined me and set his love upon me from eternity past, bringing the gospel to my ears during my life and bringing me to faith and a saving knowledge of Jesus. This was all God's doing, and it was all based on his own mercy and kindness and love, all for his glory.

So, yeah, I think TULIP leads to greater worship and adoration to God and a thankfulness for salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Thanks in advance!

You might want to try asking in a forum where the waters are less muddy, the Ask a Calvinist forum exists for that purpose.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God is not a sovereign Puppet Master who pulls the strings of life for all people and nations.

More like a Potter, using humans as lumps of clay to be fashioned into whatever vessel serves His purposes.

Do you agree?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
More like a Potter, using humans as lumps of clay to be fashioned into whatever vessel serves His purposes.

Do you agree?
Skala,

This is the language of the OT in passages such as Isa 64:8, 'And yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand' (NLT).

However, we also know from the OT in passages such as Josh 24:15:
But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD" (NLT).
So the characteristics of clay and of choice were given to people even under the old covenant. They are still with us today.

Oz

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Skala,

This is the language of the OT in passages such as Isa 64:8, 'And yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand' (NLT).

However, we also know from the OT in passages such as Josh 24:15:
But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD" (NLT).
So the characteristics of clay and of choice were given to people even under the old covenant. They are still with us today.

Oz

Look at the context of the Joshua verse...it's talking about choosing between idols, not idols and God...read what is actually there!!

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Look at the context of the Joshua verse...it's talking about choosing between idols, not idols and God...read what is actually there!!

That is not true. Thi8s is what the context states in Joshua 24:14-15:
14 “Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (ESV)
The choice is 'the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt' or 'serve the LORD' (v 14).

The choice is 'to serve the LORD' or CHOOSE THIS DAY 'the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River' (v. 15).

What was the choice made between idols and the one true LORD? 'We will serve the LORD'.

So you accusation against what I wrote is false when we examine it in context.

Oz

Upvote 0