Western Colorado
✟18,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This might be a strange one, but here goes...

Before I become a member of a Lutheran church (WELS) I attended fundamentalist Baptist churches. During this time, I vowed to God that I would not play cards. The fundamentalist churches look down on all card playing due to its past associations with gambling. I made this vow because I really enjoyed card games, but was made to feel that it was an evil activity.
I didn't want anything between me and the Lord, so I made an inner vow / promise to the Lord to give up card playing.

Now, I have come to realize this was a legalistic understanding that I had, kind of like the Pharisees who added extra rules not found in the Scriptures. I would like to be able to enjoy non-gambling card games with my family as a way to build our family relationships. My question is, am I bound under this vow I made to God, or may I confess it as sinful and foolish, made in an incorrect understanding, and be at liberty to enjoy playing cards with my family?

If the Lord wants me to keep this vow, I am glad to do so. But if it is foolish and legalistic to keep it, I don't want to continue keeping it either. I'm torn on what to do because of Scriptures such as Psalm 15:4 - "in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the LORD; who swears to his own hurt and does not change;" (ESV)

Any scriptural counsel / advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would apologize to God since card playing really isn’t sinful ( I taught both of my kids to count to ten by playing cards when they were around age 3*) but that’s me. I dislike superstitious nonsense running my life!

*I played I Declare War . Easy way for kids to learn to count . Took both of mine about 2 weeks

Reactions: MountainMan17
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not Lutheran, but I do follow reformed teachings.

The reformers of the 16th century believed things like monastic vows could and should be broken, because they were unbiblical at the start.

I think extrapolating from that stance can be done, as you made a vow that you've come to see as based upon unbiblical and faulty standards of righteousness...

However, your intention behind the vow was to avoid sin. Now that your understanding of what constitutes sin has been corrected with a more accurate knowledge of God, then your still able to keep a vow that constitutes avoiding sinfulness in this particular area of your life while amending what is not sin, such as playing cards with family, which is perfectly acceptable before God.

That is something good to go to God in prayer with, in humility before God of your error and holding much reverence of Him. God more than anyone knows your imperfections, and is with you while you grow in sanctification which has the occasional bump in the road.

But this is no pothole, God forgives what we do in ignorance - all we have to do is but ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainMan17
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟393,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi there! Welcome.

Let me just unburden you right away and say that it is not a sin for you to play cards with your family. In fact, to take care of your family, which does include playing and bonding with them, is a good work in the eyes of our Lord. Needless to say, it should not become an idol, nor does it merit or sustain our salvation, but it's good and commendable to love your family through a variety of means; this is what we've been called to in Christ. (Ephesians 2:10)

As Christians, we certainly should not become slaves to gambling, but I see that as a very separate issue from the above.

As husbands and fathers, we are to live peacefully and prayerfully, and in an understanding way, loving and honouring our wife. Likewise, we are to love our children and bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Word. (1 Peter 3:7, Colossians 3:19, Ephesians 5:25, Ephesians 6:4, 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12) Simply, we are to love our family as Christ loves His Church. Beyond this, we have freedom in Christ.

The peace of Christ to you +

Upvote 0

MountainMan17

Dec 3, 2020
Western Colorado
✟18,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for the wise and encouraging replies. I believe this is something I can ask the Lord for forgiveness on (making an unwise vow), and as Hazelelponi said my intention was to avoid sin. Now that I have reached the understanding that playing cards is not a sin (avoiding gambling of course), this is an activity I can partake in for relaxation and even edification with my family. Blessings to all!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing wrong with committing oneself to a certain discipline, but one should not feel like they are held in chains with God as their prison warden.

You should feel free to abide by your conscience, and not regard God as your enemy because of something you once promised in ignorance. We have peace with God through the blood of Christ our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0