Visit site
✟609,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could you say the Hail Mary in the Rosary in Greek?
Yes you can. The term used in the Greek is the ancient term, theotokos, which we might translate as 'the God Bearer'

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I disagree. In procreation, those of us who think about it believe we cooperate in the creation of offspring, but God is the origin.
of the human nature of your natural offspring?

yet we're discussing the Divine nature of Christ?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you say the Hail Mary in the Rosary in Greek?

Θεοτόκε Παρθένε, χαῖρε, κεχαριτωμένη Μαρία, ὁ Κύριος μετὰ σοῦ. εὐλογημένη σὺ ἐν γυναιξί, καὶ εὐλογημένος ὁ καρπὸς τῆς κοιλίας σου, ὅτι Σωτήρα ἔτεκες τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν.

(Added the pronunciation which is kind of rough here)
Theotoke parthene kaire kekaritomenee Maria, o kyrios meta sou. Evlogemenee see en genaizee, kai evlogemenos o karpos tees keelias sou, oti Soteera etekes ton pseekon emon.

Theotokos Virgin, rejoice, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with You. Blessed are You among women, and blessed is the fruit of Your womb, for You have borne the Savior of our souls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Θεοτόκε Παρθένε, χαῖρε, κεχαριτωμένη Μαρία, ὁ Κύριος μετὰ σοῦ. εὐλογημένη σὺ ἐν γυναιξί, καὶ εὐλογημένος ὁ καρπὸς τῆς κοιλίας σου, ὅτι Σωτήρα ἔτεκες τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν.

Theotoke parthene kaire kekaritomenee Maria, o kyrios meta sou. Evlogemenee see en genaizee, kai evlogemenos o karpos tees keelias sou, oti Soteera etekes ton pseekon emon.

Theotokos Virgin, rejoice, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with You. Blessed are You among women, and blessed is the fruit of Your womb, for You have borne the Savior of our souls.
Amen.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
of the human nature of your natural offspring?

yet we're discussing the Divine nature of Christ?
Well you said "mother implies active creator and origin of..." but a mother is not the active creator, she's a cooperator in the procreation. Even in the case of the mother of God, she cooperated with the Creator's plan, and while she was the vessel, she actively participated by saying Fiat.
But let me point out that a mother never gives birth to a nature. She gives birth to a person. Mary gave birth to the second Person of the Trinity, who has two natures, Divine and human.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well you said "mother implies active creator and origin of..." but a mother is not the active creator, she's a cooperator in the procreation. Even in the case of the mother of God, she cooperated with the Creator's plan, and while she was the vessel, she actively participated by saying Fiat.
But let me point out that a mother never gives birth to a nature. She gives birth to a person. Mary gave birth to the second Person of the Trinity, who has two natures, Divine and human.
Amen well said!

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
think that could be greatly clarified

think many people at present hear the term "mother of God"...

and walk away believing Christians hold that The First Person of The God The Father, was created by the human woman Mary

so they tell everyone that Christians are inverting Creation, making a human over into The First Cause of the Universe

obviously that is not what you are saying here, but it might be possible to choose language to clarify these concepts?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

and walk away believing Christians hold that The First Person of The God The Father, was created by the human woman Mary

so they tell everyone that Christians are inverting Creation, making a human over into The First Cause of the Universe

obviously that is not what you are saying here, but it might be possible to choose language to clarify these concepts?
Scripture is clear I believe, that every one of us is created by God and nowhere does Scripture suggest children are created by their mothers, so why the need to clarify when the view held by others is completely unscriptural?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Amen!!!:crossrc:

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The issue was decided 1600 years ago at the Council of Ephesus and later at Chalcedon.

Even the early reformers like Luther, Calvin and Zwingli had no problems with Theotokos. Even the Lutheran Formula of Concord states "<Mary> is rightly called and truly is the mother of God”.

Those who have problems with the term have a problem with history and fact.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The issue was decided 1600 years ago at the Council of Ephesus and later at Chalcedon.

Even the early reformers like Luther, Calvin and Zwingli had no problems with Theotokos. Even the Lutheran Formula of Concord states "<Mary> is rightly called and truly is the mother of God”.

Those who have problems with the term have a problem with history and fact.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana
You are correct; and our confessions also state that Mary remained "ever virgin" and her virginity remained "inviolate".

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Well, many walked away when Jesus said we must eat His flesh and drink His blood to have eternal life, too. But he didn't shy away from that, did he?
My point here is, why must we clarify, when we're not the ones mis-stating the point? Rather, it is up to the listener to try to clarify what we're saying, I think. It's the same in a lot of areas. I, for one, don't like tattoos, but when I started a new job a few years ago, the guy I worked most closely with was covered with them. In order to get over it, I had to humble myself, and let it flow, and it turned out that he was a more devout Catholic than I was. We went to Mass together at lunch very often, and I got to know him and his family. The obstacle was mine, not his. Same with the Mother of God. The obstacle is not ours, but theirs. If they ask, and we explain, do they accept the explanation? Often times, not.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have never meant anyone in real life that thought that, I only bumped into that idea in forums

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually the early Church at the ecumenical council of Ephesus in 431 A.D. made this clear that we do not teach that she is the mother of the father. Scripture seems to teach Mary as mother of God for example : "And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? (Lk 1:43)

Upvote 0