• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Question about the Rosary and Hail Mary

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by Erik Nelson, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+915
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Luminous (Without Distractions)

[​IMG]

3) Say three Hail Marys for Faith, Hope, and Charity: “Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.” – 3 times​

Original Greek is Theotokos = bearer of God (cp. "Bearer of Good news")

so can you say the Rosary using those words instead?

"Holy Mary, bearer of God..."

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,989
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I think this thread be better moved to the Catholic section for obvious reasons!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    Two answers:

1. If you are not a Catholic, you can use whatever prayers you want. The rosary began as a simple counting device and you can use it that way yourself, just as many non-Catholics do.

2. If you are a Catholic, you have an obligation to use the rosary as the church approves and as it has ordered. It was the Roman Catholic Church itself that ordered that the words you are referring to be added to the Hail Mary prayer. The RCC has altered the rosary in many ways over the centuries.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Erik Nelson

+915
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    How do you say the rosary in Latin?

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    I suppose that if you know Latin, there is no reason you cannot use it when saying the rosary, but the Church doesn't prefer Latin to be used and I have never met anyone who actually does pray the rosary in Latin.

6. Dave G.

Dave G. Well-Known Member

+2,617
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There are a few youtube videos of the rosary in Latin, How To Say, Gregorian etc......

7. Eloy Craft

Eloy Craft Myth only points, Truth happened! Supporter

+583
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Hello Erik! It's been a while. Good to read your words.

Depending on the reason for saying it that way I don't think it would be a sin or anything. It does though fall so far short of the whole picture of God entering a family and having Himself raised up by a human mother.

Mary's motherhood is what makes her a unique and exclusive source of the mysteries of Our Lord.

8. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+424
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Change your thinking about the Trinity. It's not God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. As long as you use this formulation your mind is going to try and auto-correct "Holy Mary, mother of God" to "Holy Mary, mother of God [the Father]" which creates a lot of theological angst.

It's God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. The "mother of God" concept bothered me a lot as I moved out of the Baptist faith into liturgical circles until I realized the source was the casual way I had come to think of the Trinity.

• List
  9. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,220
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Why say "bearer" when you could just say "mother"?

10. Tigger45

Tigger45 St Francis Supporter

+7,123
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    You could replace 'mother of God' with 'mother of my Lord' like from

Luke 1:43

But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+627
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Eastern Orthodox version of the Hail Mary:

Θεοτόκε Παρθένε, χαῖρε, κεχαριτωμένη Μαρία, ὁ Κύριος μετὰ σοῦ. εὐλογημένη σὺ ἐν γυναιξί, καὶ εὐλογημένος ὁ καρπὸς τῆς κοιλίας σου, ὅτι Σωτήρα ἔτεκες τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν.

Theotokos Virgin, rejoice, Mary full of grace, the Lord is with You. Blessed are You among women, and blessed is the fruit of Your womb, for You have borne the Savior of our souls.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,503
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    "Theos" is "God", not "Good News". I 'spect "Bearer of God"is fine, but then it means the same thing as "Mother of God", doesn't it?

13. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,503
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    Sancta Maria mater Dei?

• List
  14. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+424
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Once again, the Orthodox show to all the wisdom retained in the Church founded by Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Erik Nelson

+915
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    mother implies active creator and origin of, whereas bearer emphasizes passive vessel carrier of Divine Presence

16. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,220
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    No one who uses the term "mother of God" understands "mother" to mean that, nor thinks that Mary caused the eternal Logo's to come into existence.

The only kind of person who bears another human in its body is a mother.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    I understood that concern from what was written in the OP, and you would be the one using the rosary and doing the praying.

18. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,503
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    The Blessed Virgin wasn't simply "carrier of Divine Presence", was she? She was the mother of God Incarnate. Somehow I don't think most folks grasp the concept of the Incarnation very well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. tz620q

tz620q Regular Member Supporter

+558
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    You might want to ponder on what it means when we say "Christ wrapped himself in our humanity" or "Christ became flesh to redeem us". This does sound as though Christ was the active creator; but in truth that paradigm is rooted in this thought that God creates everything without human involvement. It places us as passive recipients of God's acts. I think that this is one pitfall that can come from TULIP, the thought that we are powerless, predestined either to hell or heaven. As a good parent, God wants us to stand on our own two feet and choose him as a personal act of faith. This is what Mary did. She made an active choice to become Christ's mother and to participate in the wondrous mystery of the Incarnation. Isn't the thought that God, Himself, choose to become man in all ways, even to being grown as a baby inside a woman taking on her flesh, a more glorious idea than Mary somehow being only a surrogate of a preconceived fetus that shared none of her humanity?

20. Erik Nelson

+915
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Mary bore / carried the Word of God in her womb

she did not carry The God The Father in her womb, "no man may see The God The Father and live", God God remains transcendent & remote and interacts into Creation only through His Word and His Spirit

The God The Father has never manifested in our created space-time, not in the Incarnation, not ever -- only His Word and His Spirit have manifested in our creation

Mary was the bearer of God's WORD incarnate (not GOD HIMSELF), John 1