Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question for Eastern Orthodox Converts. Was it challenging when saying your "Life Confession" to a Priest before your Orthodox Baptism and Chrismation ? I'm currently An Eastern Orthodox Catechumen and that's one of the things that I'm not looking forward to.

Even though I've completely repented from these sins and it's been over 20 years ago I still feel shame and embarrassment.

Some stuff was when I was young before I knew what demons were and about the spiritual realm or even knew anything about The Holy Spirit etc.

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember going through a lot spiritually as I prepared - and that in itself was very liberating (but not completely). And humbling. Then because I was baptized, there was no life confession. I actually struggled spiritually because I didn't get the opportunity. Then when a more experienced Confessor visited our parish, he helped me through that without the need to be too specific.

It's not fun to think of confessing sins. But it's never been as bad as I thought it would be (quite the contrary), and always felt much better afterwards.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I prepared in advance by writing down all of my sins. I used the guide given in the little red prayer book, and went through each commandment and wrote down my sins based on that. They weren't super detailed, I didn't write down whole stories. And then in my confession, I just read through the pages and added things if I thought of them in the moment.

I knew that if I didn't write them down first, I'd forget or struggle even more to confess them. But for me this helped because it was like I had already done the hard part of making the confession, now I was just reading it for God to hear, so the priest could assure me of my forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
An Icon Of Confession :

77207bf20f1296a25f6c1dd30aae8880.jpg

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question for Eastern Orthodox Converts. Was it challenging when saying your "Life Confession" to a Priest before your Orthodox Baptism and Chrismation ? I'm currently An Eastern Orthodox Catechumen and that's one of the things that I'm not looking forward to.

Even though I've completely repented from these sins and it's been over 20 years ago I still feel shame and embarrassment.

Some stuff was when I was young before I knew what demons were and about the spiritual realm or even knew anything about The Holy Spirit etc.
Not really, mostly the sexual sins and the pride ones (wanting to cry to appear spiritual, for example.) When in doubt, simply confess again.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This thread is a little bit old, but I thought I would leave a comment anyway because when I was preparing for baptism, I was searching around online for advice or just an idea of what a life confession was like...and I didn't find many answers. Which leads me to the most important bit of advice: ask your priest! No question is too "dumb" to ask...he understands that you haven't ever participated in an Orthodox confession, or maybe not any confession depending on what your prior faith was. Anything from: what should I confess? What if I don't remember everything? How specific should I be? What is the proper format? Do I just start listing things, will you guide me?
That being said, here's what my experience was like. I was advised that since I was being baptised, a life confession wasn't necessary, but was recommended because many times people who do not have one still struggle with feeling guilt about sins committed prior to baptism. As far as "what should I confess, what about things I've forgotten about?" I was advised to especially focus on the things which really bothered me...you know, the stuff that even years later you cringe just thinking about? And how specific should I be? First, don't name other people who were involved in the situation. Don't go into the fine details, but be specific enough that you feel as if you have confessed the particular thing. Also, many people who make regular confessions still write a list of things they want to confess, so don't hesitate to do so if you think it will help you remember all the things you want to include. There are helpful guides based on the ten commandments you can find and go through to see if they prompt you to remember anything you think you should include in your confession (such as this: Preparation for Holy Confession - Prayer & Spiritual Life - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America).
As far as what to do when you actually go up for confession, you can ask about the particulars beforehand or let the priest walk you through it at the time. (ie: cross yourself and venerate the cross and gospel, and he will prompt you in some way like "what would you like to confess?", etc.)
That's all I can think of for the more "technical" stuff, but I think most important is that it's pretty normal to be nervous, or scared, or embarrassed when you're making preparations for your life confession...but it is not so bad as you're building it up in your mind! For me at least, it was a great relief afterwards, like a heavy burden removed from me. Don't be afraid to ask your priest ahead of time whatever questions you have, and remember he will be praying for you throughout the whole ordeal!

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I've done my life confession and now I'm just waiting for The Orthodox Baptism and Chrismation.

I'm glad it's done. I honestly thought about it almost every night for the last six months with dread and shame.

At least now I don't have to worry about aerial toll houses because I've repented from and confessed my sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was actually quite liberating.

In a way I lucked out. I converted from Catholicism and the priest who chrismated me said just to go as far back as my last Catholic confession which, if I remember right, was about a year or two prior.

Upvote 0

ArseniusTheSilent

Site Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Boston
✟423,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was totally not what I expected and was fretting over beforehand but totally what I needed. The biggest set of questions churning through my heart and mind occurred as I was walking to the church that afternoon. Once I got there, everything else and all the questions fell away.

A classic Orthodox experience.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was totally not what I expected and was fretting over beforehand but totally what I needed. The biggest set of questions churning through my heart and mind occurred as I was walking to the church that afternoon. Once I got there, everything else and all the questions fell away.

A classic Orthodox experience.

sounds about right.

Upvote 0

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟36,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there penances for the life confession to complete before baptism? That would be confusing to me, but its stuck in my head for some reason - as a Catechumen I can't receive the sacrament of Confession until after Baptism, so I guess penances don't make sense, unless they feel after baptism you shouldn't commune with x years, etc?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are there penances for the life confession to complete before baptism? That would be confusing to me, but its stuck in my head for some reason - as a Catechumen I can't receive the sacrament of Confession until after Baptism, so I guess penances don't make sense, unless they feel after baptism you shouldn't commune with x years, etc?

not that I have ever seen or heard of.

Upvote 0