Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is the book of James about justification in the eyes of men or God? What is the scholarly consensus?
While it is true that Abraham believed God, so he was justified (Genesis 15:6), it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac (Hebrews 11:17), so the same faith by which he was justified was also his obedience to God, but he did not earn his justification as the result of his obedience as if it were a wage (Romans 4:1-5). In James 2:21-24, it quotes Genesis 15:6 to support saying that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac, that his faith was active along with his works, and that his faith completed his works, so he was justified by his works insofar as they were also his faith, but not insofar as they were earning a wage. While Paul denied that we can earn our justification as a wage (Romans 4:1-5), he also said that only doers of the law will be justified (Romans 2:13), so there must be a reason why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than in order to result in our justification as if it were earned as a wage, such as faith insofar as our faith upholds God's law (Romans 3:31). So both Paul and James were on the same page that choosing to be a doer of God's law through faith is the way to see that someone is justified either in the eyes of God or in the eyes of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the book of James about justification in the eyes of men or God? What is the scholarly consensus?
I don't think there is a scholarly census. It continues to be a debated book, that being said, though James sounds like he is promoting the "law" he is actually promoting the "perfect law". We know the perfection of the law is through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. My take anyway. Blessings.

James
But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

Hebrews
For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is a scholarly census. It continues to be a debated book, that being said, though James sounds like he is promoting the "law" he is actually promoting the "perfect law". We know the perfection of the law is through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. My take anyway. Blessings.

James
But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

Hebrews
For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.
In Psalms 19:7, the Torah is perfect, in Psalms 119:45, it is of liberty, and in Psalms 119:1-3, it blesses those who obey it, so when James 1:25 speaks about a perfect law of liberty that blesses those who obey it, he was not saying anything about the Torah that wasn't already said in the Psalms.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Justification before men, which requires visible works, actions. Justification before God, man is Justified by belief, faith in Jesus

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Psalms 19:7, the Torah is perfect, in Psalms 119:45, it is of liberty, and in Psalms 119:1-3, it blesses those who obey it, so when James 1:25 speaks about a perfect law of liberty that blesses those who obey it, he was not saying anything about the Torah that wasn't already said in the Psalms.
You have to read through the eyes of the New Covenant. Even Psalms 19:7 makes clear that the law is perfect because it converts the soul.
We know now that only Jesus Christ of Nazareth is capable of doing this for us and not the letter of the law. Blessings

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The early Christian Church did not... throw away all of God's laws that 'some' false churches try to do today.

And guess what? Neither did Apostle Paul, because see 1 Timothy 1 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, and Galatians 5.

So with that understood...

Apostle James said Faith without works is dead, being alone. Yet we know Jesus promised the malefactor crucified with Him that believed, that he would be with Him in Paradise, even though the malefactor hadn't time to do works in Christ while hanging there on the cross. So there are situations of those who convert to Christ near death that Jesus has the Power to save also, if He so desires. Who are we to limit Him?

I see Jame's Message as more of the fact that those in Christ are to have good works in Him as a natural byproduct of their Faith. And personally, I don't believe one truly in that Faith cannot but help have good works in Christ.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do agree to a certain extent or level that works of faith can be a by-product of faith (like with the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet with her tears; i.e., she loved much because she was forgiven much), but we also see many warnings in Scripture about how we need to have good fruit (good works) or we will be cut off (become lost or no longer saved). The parable of the Talents, and the parable of the sheep and goats are pretty good warnings for us to be fruitful. So this tells me that good works are not always an automatic thing and we do have to work by faith in doing them over the course of our Christian life. Granted, I do agree with the thief being saved by God’s grace without works. I believe we are initially saved by God’s grace without works in our Initial Salvation, but after we are saved by His grace, we do have to continue with the Lord and follow God’s instructions as a part of that faith. The Bible says we are to continue in the faith. Continue in God’s grace. Continue in his goodness otherwise we can be cut off just like the Jews were cut off.

So yes. I do believe we are justified by faith (Romans 5:2), and we are justified by works (James 2:24).
This is being justified before God because faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
James 2:21 says that Abraham was justified by works by offering Isaac upon the altar.
Yet, Hebrews 11:17 says BY FAITH, Abraham offered up Isaac upon the altar. So works is a part of one’s faith.
Actually, I prefer to say that Sanctification of the Holy Spirit to live a holy life is the secondary aspect of salvation (Which takes place after we are initially saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ as one’s Savior). Works is merely a part of that Sanctification process that we live out over our whole lives.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I do agree to a certain extent or level that works of faith can be a by-product of faith (like with the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet with her tears; i.e., she loved much because she was forgiven much), but we also see many warnings in Scripture about how we need to have good fruit (good works) or we will be cut off (become lost or no longer saved). The parable of the Talents, and the parable of the sheep and goats are pretty good warnings for us to be fruitful. So this tells me that good works are not always an automatic thing and we do have to work by faith in doing them over the course of our Christian life.
Who is saying that good works are ever automatic?
Granted, I do agree with the thief being saved by God’s grace without works. I believe we are initially saved by God’s grace without works in our Initial Salvation, but after we are saved by His grace, we do have to continue with the Lord and follow God’s instructions as a part of that faith. The Bible says we are to continue in the faith. Continue in God’s grace. Continue in his goodness otherwise we can be cut off just like the Jews were cut off.

So yes. I do believe we are justified by faith (Romans 5:2), and we are justified by works (James 2:24).
This is being justified before God because faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
Two different "justified" meanings.
James 2:21 says that Abraham was justified by works by offering Isaac upon the altar.
Yet, Hebrews 11:17 says BY FAITH, Abraham offered up Isaac upon the altar. So works is a part of one’s faith.
Works is a necessary result of faith. Do not be mistaken by supposing anything that contradicts Scripture: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."
Actually, I prefer to say that Sanctification of the Holy Spirit to live a holy life is the secondary aspect of salvation (Which takes place after we are initially saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ as one’s Savior). Works is merely a part of that Sanctification process that we live out over our whole lives.
This is true enough. And it contradicts what you posit, that works is "a part of faith".

Upvote 0