Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Does the 10 pm or 12 am Mass on Christmas eve meet the Sunday obligation this year? (and the Christmas obligation?). Or should we also go to Mass on the 25th? (not that this would be a bad thing to do :)). Just wondering!

thanks!!

I think it depends where you go. If the OF is being prayed, any Mass said after 4:00pm is a vigil Mass, where the next day's obligation is fulfilled by attending.

There is no such provision for groups like the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (and I suspect the FSSP is similar)which use the old calandars and missals, IIRC a Saturday Mass prayed at any time on a Saturday is a Saturday daily Mass, not a Sunday vigil, and thuse does not fulfill the obligation to attend the Sunday Mass. I don't know how it works for the Christmas Eve Masses for them - I know they tend to schedule them for very late at night, starting between 11pm and midnight, and thereby ending on Christmas Day - I presume that by doing so the Chistmas Mass attendence obligation is met.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thanks! :) okay now I have sort of the opposite question.. what if someone can't make it to Christmas eve Mass, like the midnight Mass, and only goes to Mass in the morning.... is that okay? or must the midnight/Christmas eve Mass be attended?

The morning is fine too, on the 25th.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums