• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about some of the OT killings

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by dcalling, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Superhero Sam

Superhero Sam Newbie

+432
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If the sons of God were not angelic beings but rather the Godly offspring of Seth, why does the OT refer to angels as "sons of god" so many times? The same Hebrew word used for angels in many other parts of the OT, is also used in Genesis.

2. fozzy

fozzy Guest

+0
    Jesus said angels do not procreate. There are not female or baby angels. They were all created by the hand of God and are a higher order of being than we are. They are spiritual and we are fleshly.

This is the kind of thing you read in the tabloids. The history channel actually has shows about this with ancient aliens. Just more propaganda to dupe the masses.

3. Emjay1985

Emjay1985 Newbie

+10
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm not an expert but I can share the explanation I was given. Basically the cities where God commanded every person to be killed, male and female, young and old, were worshiping baal or similar false gods. These gods demanded followers to commit atrocious acts such as burning newborns alive. If any had been allowed to live they would've passed on their beliefs and more atrocities would've been committed and even more souls would've ended up in hell. The souls of children who had not reached an age of accountability would've gone to heaven. Whereas if they had been allowed to grow up they would've followed baal or similar and their souls would've gone to hell.

4. Superhero Sam

Superhero Sam Newbie

+432
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If the Mosaic Law's legal penalties were to moderate the Bronze Age brutality of ancient Israel, why did its harsh punishments exist even after the Bronze Age was over? Jesus was alive in the 1st century AD, when the Bronze Age was over, and women were still being stoned for adultery. The Bible doesnt say that God intended the Mosaic Law to only exist for a certain amount of years in Israel.

The Sanhedrin (Jewish government) and animal sacrifices in the temple were part of the Old Covenant, and they existed until 70AD, so I assume the legal penalties of Leviticus existed after Christ's death and the New Covenant being created.

5. Gunny

Gunny Remnant Supporter

+83
    Christian
    Married
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord"

Isaiah 55:8
    NIV

6. Superhero Sam

Superhero Sam Newbie

+432
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If the Caananites were not Nephilim or human-angel hybrids, what was peculiar about the historical context of the OT, that made God order certain things in the OT?

ALoveDivine said that the reasons God's people behaved differently in the OT than in the NT was because the OT took place in a "very specific and peculiar historical context". That explanation makes sense to me. But was so so different about the historical context of the OT, that made it different from other historical time periods?

7. fozzy

fozzy Guest

+0
    The OT was a very different time. Men were barbaric and cruel, even men of God had these traits much more than today. They did not have the knowledge that we do and their lives were hard with every day being a struggle just for food and survival. Living our modern lives it's very hard to put ourselves in their shoes and understand the way they lived why they did what they did.

8. trulyconverted

trulyconverted Junior Member

+60
    Christian
    Single
    I haven't read the other posts, just jumping in.

Possible reasons hybrids (nephilim etc.) or they were stiff necked people like those Israelites who died in the wilderness.?

Also addit: to the post about the angels... The bible says the sons of God left their former state and came down and chose who they want to wife among the daughters of men... (Yes... Fallen angels and not humans)

9. Superhero Sam

Superhero Sam Newbie

+432
    Non-Denom
    Single
    But which verse of the Bible does God describe humans as being "sons of god"? When the Bible says "sons of god" it is referring to angelic beings.

10. fozzy

fozzy Guest

+0
    Oh can we please let this sons of God and their angel sex die an early death. When your ready to elevate the conversation above tabloid level, please let me know.

11. Superhero Sam

Superhero Sam Newbie

+432
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Why are you accusing me of getting my information from tabloids? I got my facts regarding the sons of god, from Christian sites.