Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you remember "the baby with the baboon heart"? A little girl was born with a fatal heart defect, I think at Loma Linda hospital. This doctor had been practicing putting sheep's hearts in goats, etc, and he thought he could save her by transplanting her heart with a baboon heart. She might have lived as long as two weeks. Anyway I recently met a Seventh Day Adventist couple who are both doctors from Loma Linda. I am curious about this but haven't had a chance to ask them about this.
What really puzzled me is that the doctor who performed the surgery didn't believe in evolution, and this apparently made him think that the heart could be accepted, at least until a human heart could be located. He had a transplant doctor working with him and the issues that came up, one would think, would have been fielded by her. I read that he thought the reason she died was because the baboon had type AB blood and the baby had type O. Anyway I want to go on and on but to me, if you didn't believe evolution occurred, I would think you would be even less inclined to do transplants between humans and animals than people who accept evolution as a valid model. Does anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I know my understanding of it all is weak to say the least. But I have been wondering about this for years and years.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you remember "the baby with the baboon heart"? A little girl was born with a fatal heart defect, I think at Loma Linda hospital. This doctor had been practicing putting sheep's hearts in goats, etc, and he thought he could save her by transplanting her heart with a baboon heart. She might have lived as long as two weeks. Anyway I recently met a Seventh Day Adventist couple who are both doctors from Loma Linda. I am curious about this but haven't had a chance to ask them about this.
What really puzzled me is that the doctor who performed the surgery didn't believe in evolution, and this apparently made him think that the heart could be accepted, at least until a human heart could be located. He had a transplant doctor working with him and the issues that came up, one would think, would have been fielded by her. I read that he thought the reason she died was because the baboon had type AB blood and the baby had type O. Anyway I want to go on and on but to me, if you didn't believe evolution occurred, I would think you would be even less inclined to do transplants between humans and animals than people who accept evolution as a valid model. Does anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I know my understanding of it all is weak to say the least. But I have been wondering about this for years and years.

What evidence do you have for the bolded portion of the following statement you made?
What really puzzled me is that the doctor who performed the surgery didn't believe in evolution, and this apparently made him think that the heart could be accepted, at least until a human heart could be located.

I don't see how a belief in or against evolution would have anything to do with his actions. Isn't it far more likely that he wanted to experiment, or that he wanted publicity, or that he actually thought he might save a life? I have no idea what the man's motives were or what his thought processes were, but it seems to me you are making a large stretch in your leap to evolution.

I would neither defend nor condemn the man or the organization for I know nothing about his, or the organization's, thinking. Despite Loma Linda being associated with SDAs, as an SDA I don't look at it any differently than I do the Safeway grocery chain which started out as a corporation closely associated with the Mormon church. I see both as nothing more than large corporations doing what large corporations do. Businessmen do what businessmen do and, unfortunately, their profession of religion, no matter what the religion is, often doesn't make any difference in how they conduct business. Profession doesn't always equal what is in the heart, and that is true of all of humanity no matter what they do for a living.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
to me, if you didn't believe evolution occurred, I would think you would be even less inclined to do transplants between humans and animals than people who accept evolution as a valid model. Does anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I know my understanding of it all is weak to say the least. But I have been wondering about this for years and years.
Keep seeking and wondering at God's Magnificent Grace and His Kingdom, as He is Perfect in every way.
I have always thought without change that those doctors who believe in evolution would not likely ever do as good as the doctors who don't, since I think one error comes from others, and/or leads to others.... professionals are not at all exempt.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

When it comes to medicine, evolutionism is irrelevant ... no doctor that I know of gives you a drug or a transplant on the basis of imagining that some primate turnrf into a human over time.

That doctor at Loma Linda was looking at blood chemistry so then biochemistry - not evolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Car companies make engines. When restoring a military vehicle, I could not find an original engine or rebuilt because it was a rare vehicle, So I installed a Jeep engine making modifications to the drive train.

The Doctor may have had the same idea in mind. God developed both hearts.

Upvote 0