Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been married 19 years, both of us were non-denom when we met and have been up to about 2012, when he decided to return to his Catholic faith because he found an old-school, traditional, orthodox SSPX church. To say it's different than non-denom is putting it lightly.

Since he didn't really attend church much with me to begin with, him going off on his own path, is not too much of a problem, although we do have some differing beliefs and end up fighting if/when we discuss it. I have no interest whatsoever in "converting" to Catholicism. And to be honest, the more I read, learn and research it, the more "protestant" I become. I've been to his church, to try it out and to see when he got baptized, etc and I felt so uncomfortable and out of place. And I've never felt so judged, than when I've stepped foot in his church, even if it's just the refreshment hall. The looks from the people and the feeling I get when I'm there, make me feel creeped out.

I've been raised as a conservative evangelical Christian my whole life. My parents attended different churches, from 4-squares to Assembly of Gods, to Christian Centers, etc. But we never labeled it...just non-denominational. And that works for me, because I feel it's a personal walk/relationship with God that is more important, than the church one belongs to or attends. I believe in the Word of God and that if the teaching is based on Biblical scripture, than that is what is right.

I get the opposite feeling from my husband now. Every time he talks about his religion, it's all about his church, and what his church accepts and what his church rules are and what the Priests say, etc. He talks more about Mary and how important she is, than he ever does about Jesus. He's always been self-righteous and arrogant, but now he is even more so. And I feel often, he uses the Bible as a way to exert his authority and be more self-righteous over me, almost to the point of male chauvenism. We have discussed to some degree, and he claims to believe in the same things I do, the trinity, personal savior Jesus, path to Heaven, etc. But there are a lot of little details in all that, that we totally disagree on and having any type of serious theological or honest discussion on religion or even just expressing our personal beliefs and why, and it becomes this heated argument, where he's just defensive and doesn't want to hear anything, because it isn't in full alignment with his belief. He believes he is 100% correct. He believes I am heretic and often tells me so. He tells me I am the one dividing the family, because I won't convert and come to his faith. Yet, he is the one who chose the path he did AFTER we were married, and AFTER he knew all along, where I stood with my faith and that I was NOT going to change my beliefs.

A year ago Christmas, he told me he was taking our 3 kids (9, 13 and 15) to his church and only his church. Up until this point, we had been trading Sundays, with them going with me one Sunday, and then going with him the next, and so on. I feel that was a good practice, so they could understand both of our faiths and beliefs and how we practiced our faith, etc. I thought it was good for the kids to be able to participate in both of our ways, so they could learn and choose at a later date, when they were older, which path they wanted to take, without us influencing their decision or pushing them one way or the other. My husband however, taking the Patriarch role and using the Bible against me, explained that as the role God gave him as the leader of the house, it was his job to educate the children according to his faith. And while I agree, that is his role, I also believe God intended marriage to be a partnership, and that in issues like this, we should be working together and finding a compromising solution, since we are on different paths ourselves, to give our children an equal understand from both of our perspectives. But he demanded they go with him solely to his church anyway, for one year to learn about Catholicism and go through Catechism classes, even though I objected based on the reasons I listed above. Then he said they would be free to decide what they wanted and where they wanted to continue to attend. I felt and still feel, that this forced the issue on my kids, especially my younger ones who I feel are not in a position mentally/emotionally to make a decision on the church they want to attend.

Now, the differences in our churches are not small, as I'm sure most Catholics and Protestants would understand. There are beliefs and practices that his church follows, that I just don't believe in, because they are not biblically sound. And some, I feel, are even unbiblical. I can't ever discuss this with my husband because to him, I'm attacking him personally because his church is the one true and only church and unless you belong to the SSPX brand, you are a heretic and basically your beliefs should be shunned. He hasn't outrightly stated this, but his behavior, demeanor and many things he has said, fully imply this. And he has already made the directive that should any of our kids choose to go with his church, they won't be allowed to ever visit mine again, unless they renounce his church.

Our oldest decided back almost when he first was made to go, that he wanted no part of dads church. So he went for a year because dad made him, but then in December, my husband let him decide and so now he goes to church with me on Sundays. Our two youngest, my husband has kept on, because they were still going through the classes. Even though his "agreement" at the start was only for one year. December came and went and now we're looking at May for them to finish their classes. But my middle child has said he thinks he's going to go with dads church. And as long as it's his decision, I'm fine with that. But I worry, because my husbands whole attempt here, to me, has seemed to be a selfish one, because he pushed all of us to go along with what he wanted. My experience with him, our entire life together, has been that he manipulates situations to get his way, over and over again. So, I have a hard time trusting or believing that he's truly just doing this for God, to raise his children right and that there is no selfish intent.

Especially when my church teaches about God too. My church believes in and teaches the same Gospel and Bible and scriptures as his does. We believe more and practice more on New Testament beliefs, which I find to be one of the things we disagree on...but I do not understand why the path we were on before, was such a bad one and why my husband felt so hard core about needing our kids to be at his church and his church only. It's like his church is solely inclusive and you have to belong to their brand or you aren't good and God won't save you. That's how he acts. My youngest has actually told me she feels sorry for me, because she's worried I won't be saved. Now, where would she get that idea? Basically, I feel my kids are learning that I'm a bad person because I'm not in dads church brand. And I feel my kids are being manipulated to go along with what dad wants, in order to not upset him, so they are just agreeing to stay in his church now for his behalf, not because it's truly what they themselves want. And did I tell you I loathe that my kids are put in this position and fully disagree with it? I express my feelings to my husband and he says, he's not forcing anything (and gets all offended and says I'm scandalizing him). He say's he's not dividing anything, I am, because I am not converting.

My youngest just told us she too wants to be baptized in dads church. And I have no problem with that. The problem I have, is that he won't allow her to ever visit my church now. I feel she's too young to be put in that position to have to "choose". My husband disagrees, because she's of the age of reason. He won't even try and compromise or work with me as a partner, to find some middle ground. It's all or nothing. And it makes me sick to my stomach how unreasonable I feel he is.

And now I feel like my kids have been taken away, to a degree, and I've lost the ability to teach them my faith, my beliefs. I do what I can when I'm with them, and I listen to a daily devotional and a bible study every morning as I drop them off to school...but they don't really participate enough to get it. And I don't think my daughter gets it, or truly understands the choice she's making. I think she wants to make daddy happy more than really understanding the church. I just want them to have the understanding of things they aren't getting at dads church. Instead of focusing so much on the church this, and the church that, and Mary, and the Saints and the Rosary, and many things, as I said that are not biblically based from what I've seen. I want her to understand the sacrifice Jesus made dying on the Cross, the New Testament teachings, and how old laws have been done away because of that, etc. But that's not what his church teaches. And I just feel my kids need a more rounded teaching, than just ONE of our churches.

Sorry for such a long post and thank you for letting me vent.

I guess my issue is, do I just shut up and take it? Am I wrong that a marriage is supposed to be a partnership? Am I wrong that both parents should have a say about religion/faith? Or is my husband in the right and I'm just supposed to deal with that? This point of conflict is very troubling to me. I feel the kind of man my husband has become since going back to being a traditional Catholic, and the beliefs they hold, that he now holds, have made him more unreasonable and a less tolerant, less patient, and less considerate man and have further divided us as a couple, as a team. Which, to be honest, we weren't much of a partnership to begin with. Sometimes I just don't think it's going to work, because he wants it all his way, demanding his way is right no matter what, and I feel like why bother? My opinions, feelings, desires, needs, etc don't matter unless they fully align with him. And they aren't going to. I'm not a stepford wife. And this is not what I signed up for. I'm not doing anything sinful or against biblical teaching, at least I'm trying not to...but I feel sometimes like we have different ideas about life, about marriage, about parenting, and just how we go about things. Different expectations, and different ways of doing things, but only his matter. And the fact that I tell him I don't feel like we have a partnership, and he just shrugs and tells me, oh well...he's doing what he feels God is telling him, and I'm just supposed to suck it up, makes me feel like something is wrong.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I am LDS lady married to an Evangelical/Baptist dude. Here's what I've learned about having an interfaith marriage:

RESPECT. You *need* to respect each other's faith. I didn't say "agree", I said RESPECT. Don't bad-mouth the other spouse's faith, don't stand in the way of the other person practicing, don't resent. DO support them on their journey, do talk about things, do find something you admire.

When it comes to kids: you both have the right to teach what you believe. Never stop your spouse from hat, and never badmouth the other faith. When of age enough to say in things: respect their say about their own beliefs. You can insist that they learn about your faith, but you can't force their beliefs.

If one spouse is disrespecting the other, then you two need serious professional marriage counseling. Such disrespect is much deeper than disagreeing about Mary.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is definitely hard to be unequally yoked. How can two walk together except they agree? And the issues here seem to be yoking to religions and doctrines and beliefs and not Jesus.

I say it is unwise to teach children your faith or beliefs......but rather, teach them faith in Jesus....which transcends all religion and belief systems. Know Jesus Know, No Peace....No Jesus....

Belief in Jesus is a group activity we all can do that and fight over how it is done......But knowing him is a singular, personal endeavor. Knowing this.......the church or denom one attends become less of a argument starter. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You're in a very tough spot. I was raised Catholic by a Catholic father and Methodist mom who converted to be Catholic. You will be in my prayers, because your husband is probably not going to change. This stuff is buried deep in his brain cells and is not coming out easy.. And it's not for me to say that it should. I just live to find Jesus Christ and be in his presence. I pray your husband does too, as well as you and your children.

Upvote 0

Lucky9

Mar 29, 2017
Avondale, AZ
✟19,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is definitely hard to be unequally yoked. How can two walk together except they agree? And the issues here seem to be yoking to religions and doctrines and beliefs and not Jesus.

I say it is unwise to teach children your faith or beliefs......but rather, teach them faith in Jesus....which transcends all religion and belief systems. Know Jesus Know Know Peace....No Jesus....

Belief in Jesus is a group activity we all can do that and fight over how it is done......But knowing him is a singular, personal endeavor. Knowing this.......the church or denom one attends become less of a argument starter. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

That's my entire point. I'm from the angle of teaching our children about Jesus via the Bible. My husband is from the angle of teaching our children about Catholicism via his Catholic church and their practices.

So...how do I over come that?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
That's my entire point. I'm from the angle of teaching our children about Jesus via the Bible. My husband is from the angle of teaching our children about Catholicism via his Catholic church and their practices.

May I suggest a slightly different mindset of:
"My husband teaches our children what he believes. I also teach my children what I believe. We both encourage their asking questions and spiritual growth."

Neither of you should try to silence the other, even in part. He should never tell you not to talk/teach about something you believe, even if he disagrees with it. Likewise you should never tell him not to talk/teach about something he believes, even if you disagree with it and don't find it in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The absolute least of your issues are what church who goes where with what kids. That’s a battleground for a larger war, and you both are recruiting your kids to be your soldiers against each other.

Get thee to a marriage counselor, a secular one not involved in either church, and consider family counseling too. If he won’t go, and he won’t if it's not tied to his church, go alone. You can’t force him to get help, but you can go and get some for yourself so you can fortify yourself for what we both are scared is headed your way.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's always been self-righteous and arrogant, but now he is even more so.
My experience with him, our entire life together, has been that he manipulates situations to get his way, over and over again.

If he has always been this way why did you marry him and have children with him? Your characterization of him is indicative of a relationship that has gone through a lot. It is possible you are even re-casting some of the early times. But in any case it is clear there is little love for each other at the current time. Will your children want to imitate either faith if neither of them are able to make you kind to one another?

As the previous poster noted the marriage is the first issue that needs to be resolved. It doesn't matter which church they go to if they are convinced by both of your actions toward one another that Christ hasn't changed your hearts to be tender toward one another and to show the fruit of the Spirit, and forgiveness.

My advice for now would be let them go to whichever church they are going to for the moment, but to work together to put into practice the beliefs that both hold regarding love toward each other.

You can have discussions of beliefs once you can have discussions in general without fighting.

• Agree
Reactions: Lucky9
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

You have to come to middle ground with your husband and in the end when your kids are old enough they will choose for themselves anyway. But that middle ground is Jesus Christ crucified, buried and resurrected. He is sufficient for your kids at this age and beyond, He is sufficient for you and He is sufficient for your husband whether your husband realizes it or not. And that should be taught in both churches you guys attend, if not they aren't worth attending.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lucky9

Mar 29, 2017
Avondale, AZ
✟19,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he has always been this way why did you marry him and have children with him? Your characterization of him is indicative of a relationship that has gone through a lot. It is possible you are even re-casting some of the early times. But in any case it is clear there is little love for each other at the current time. Will your children want to imitate either faith if neither of them are able to make you kind to one another?

As the previous poster noted the marriage is the first issue that needs to be resolved. It doesn't matter which church they go to if they are convinced by both of your actions toward one another that Christ hasn't changed your hearts to be tender toward one another and to show the fruit of the Spirit, and forgiveness.

My advice for now would be let them go to whichever church they are going to for the moment, but to work together to put into practice the beliefs that both hold regarding love toward each other.

You can have discussions of beliefs once you can have discussions in general without fighting.

There were red flags, that I admit, I over looked because I fell for him, and he did a great job hiding the bad parts of himself, pretty much until after a year after we were married. Then slowly, those parts of him, the arrogance, the pride, the self-righteous attitude, became more and more the norm. I kick myself, for not paying attention before we got married. But it's like the beliefs and practices of his church now accentuate those behaviors and attitudes in him, because HE is the Patriarch and (according to how he treats me, and by things he says, sometimes) I'm just the little wife who should keep my mouth shut and serve him. He's great at preaching about how I'm supposed to be, but totally neglects how he is supposed to be, according to the Bible. He'll even tell me, the Bible says a husband is to be this and that...but then, he won't do it. He just preaches at me.

But here we are and I'm trying my best to be patient, be kind, be caring and trust that God has a plan. While I do not agree with a lot of the tenets of his church's particular teachings, and the Catholic teachings in general that differ from Protestantism, I don't EVER tell him he can't teach them anything, and I have never stood in his way in doing so. I keep my mouth shut, pretty much. I don't even express to him, my true feelings on his religion because I, a) don't want to insult him; b) know it will only cause a fight, and therefore won't really matter; and c) want to give him respect in order that he'd give me respect.

But he is constantly criticizing me and my beliefs. Without doing the air quotes physically, when he even mentions "Protestants" or "Protestantism", you can hear the air quotes in his voice/tone. He is always implying that I'm lesser than him, because I'm heretic, etc etc. And although he hasn't stopped me from sharing my belief and teaching my kids, I have limited time to do so. He won't let me take them to my church, anymore. He's always home, so it's not like I can do a Bible study with them, separate from him. He's suggested we all do a Bible study, but that just invites conflict, because I use the New Living Translation Bible and he insists only the Douay Rheams is the true Bible, etc. Even though they pretty much say the same dang thing, give or take several thees and thous. It's petty. It's little tiny trivial crap, that he hangs on, and picks fights over. Instead of respecting me and the beliefs and practices I have expressed/had our entire life together, he end up making me feel like he's judging me at every turn and I'm now a bad person. And I know my kids pick up on this. It's one of the reasons our oldest dispises his dads church and has issues with his dad.

And speaking of counseling, we've just recently gone through some counseling, with one of the priests at his church. My oldest son has been having issues with his father, not liking him, feeling angry at him, at how he's treated me in the past, etc and some other things that I don't want to get into, so all three of us would go to his church to meet with the priest. Mostly we talked about my sons issue(s) and my husband was actually pretty good about owning up to his past behaviors and the way he's treated me and our kids in the past (mental/verbally abusive). But now that priest was transferred and there is no one to take over his spot to counsel us, so we stopped going.

But even still, I don't feel comfortable, telling a Catholic priest, that I am uncomfortable with my kids being put solely into the Catholic church and not having any ability to participate with me and my church again. I mean, does anyone honestly think my argument has a chance, when I'm surrounded by Catholics? And getting my husband to go to a non-Catholic for counseling? He wouldn't even come to my church for a family movie night (not related to any "church" type thing)...because it was not a Catholic church. He has this rule now, where he can't step foot, listen to, watch, etc anything that isn't Catholic, when it comes to religious teaching. It's infuriating.

And I'm the one dividing the family?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
He's always home, so it's not like I can do a Bible study with them, separate from him. He's suggested we all do a Bible study, but that just invites conflict, because I use the New Living Translation Bible and he insists only the Douay Rheams is the true Bible, etc. Even though they pretty much say the same dang thing, give or take several thees and thous. It's petty.
He can read out of Douay Rheams at the same time you read out of New Living Translation. It's totally not worth either of you picking a fight over.
It's little tiny trivial crap, that he hangs on, and picks fights over.
That's a sign you two need counseling. (This isn't even about the religious issues).
If he doesn't want to do marriage counseling, get counseling for yourself.
And speaking of counseling, we've just recently gone through some counseling, with one of the priests at his church. My oldest son has been having issues with his father, not liking him, feeling angry at him, at how he's treated me in the past, etc and some other things that I don't want to get into, so all three of us would go to his church to meet with the priest. Mostly we talked about my sons issue(s) and my husband was actually pretty good about owning up to his past behaviors and the way he's treated me and our kids in the past (mental/verbally abusive).
That's awesome! I'm sad the priest was transferred, but you could find another counselor-- the help/healing is super important.
But even still, I don't feel comfortable, telling a Catholic priest, that I am uncomfortable with my kids being put solely into the Catholic church and not having any ability to participate with me and my church again.
I'm not a Catholic, but I've had many friends that are, and been to Catholic events many times. In my experience, they are generally reasonable people who understand not everyone wants to be Catholic. I would not worry about telling a Catholic priest "this isn't for me" and getting a much-needed-subject addressed if it was for the benefit of my family/marriage/me-- priests want to help even those folks who aren't Catholic. Don't let fear stop you from getting the help you need.

Also: there are non-religious counselors whom are quite good and respectful of religious people. I myself visited one for a while and it made a night and day difference-- issues I'd fought in vain for years just washed away.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OP, nobody said you were dividing the family, only that you both are making choices and exhibiting behaviors that the other find confrontational and both are using the kids in a way that’s not good for them or the adults.

Go to a secular counselor together and, if he won’t (he won’t), go alone. It will help you tremendously in navigating what to do, how to respond, and how to avoid what’s called “fighting dirty.” It will at the least help you and ultimately your family in the long term.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, from my experience you won't find a sympathetic ear within the Catholic church w/respect to that type of issue.

I was married in the Catholic church to my ex-wife - and being that I wasn't Catholic - in order to get married in that church I had to sign all sorts of agreements with the archdiocese of Los Angeles... The basic gist of it all was that "I was not going to attempt to convert my wife from the one true faith of Catholicism, and that I agreed to raise my children as Catholics."

Truthfully at the time I couldn't have cared less, so I signed the stuff in order to have the wedding in a nice looking church...lol But - no - I don't think you're going to find people that understand your point of view there (at least if my experience was in any way indicative of the church body as a whole).

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it depends on the region and the church. Our Catholic Churches here tend to be *insanely* progressive. From the sounds of it, though, her husband’s? Probably not so much.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

Lucky9

Mar 29, 2017
Avondale, AZ
✟19,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I say it is unwise to teach children your faith or beliefs......but rather, teach them faith in Jesus....which transcends all religion and belief systems. Know Jesus Know Know Peace....No Jesus....

Agreed! And that is my take on it as well. The problem is getting my husband out of his Catholic bubble long enough, for him to find common ground with me, instead of browbeating me on what his precious church teaches.

After all, I highly doubt there is someone at Heaven's Gate, letting us all in, depending on what denomination we've adhered to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lucky9

Mar 29, 2017
Avondale, AZ
✟19,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it depends on the region and the church. Our Catholic Churches here tend to be *insanely* progressive. From the sounds of it, though, her husband’s? Probably not so much.

SSPX Tridentene. Anti-Progressive. Old School. Just a few terms that don't do it justice, IMO.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
SSPX Tridentene. Anti-Progressive. Old School. Just a few terms that don't do it justice, IMO.
From what I've read, this is sort of a comparable to conservative evangelical right-wing Christianity. This is antithetical to the Pope's values....so it's not really accurate to even consider this "Catholic" (as I understand it, they are not in full communion with the church). I think it's been said already, this isn't a religious issue.....it's an ego/pride/entitlement issue (but it does sound like he was receptive to good advice from that one priest).

I know it's concerning you about him not allowing your children to attend your church with you....but when they're mature enough to seek out their own faith beliefs, they're going to appreciate any person that didn't force them to attend against their wishes.

ETA: SSPX??

Last edited:
Upvote 0