Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Not the ones you get...but the ones you can be a part of if you're a priest or deacon or whatever. :)

I was talking with a Catholic friend via e-mail about them and just had like a billion questions about what they were, and why there were different ones, and stuff like that.

He suggested I ask in OBOB because he knew some stuff, but not a whole lot. :)

So I'm asking...anything ya'll can tell me about orders would be appreciated. :)

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I'm subscribing to this thread so I don't lose it. :D But any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless! :)

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AngelAmidala said:
Not the ones you get...but the ones you can be a part of if you're a priest or deacon or whatever. :)

I was talking with a Catholic friend via e-mail about them and just had like a billion questions about what they were, and why there were different ones, and stuff like that.

He suggested I ask in OBOB because he knew some stuff, but not a whole lot. :)

So I'm asking...anything ya'll can tell me about orders would be appreciated. :)

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I'm subscribing to this thread so I don't lose it. :D But any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless! :)

There are many different orders that monastic priests, monks, and nuns can join if they so choose. Dioscesan priets (parish priests) take vows of celibacy and obedience. Those belonging to an order may also take a vow of poverty. Usually they follow the example of a particular Saint. I.E. Franciscans follow St. Francis's example....Benedictines follow St. Benedict's. Each have their own traditions regarding what they wear, how they keep themselves, and the work that they do, but most see themselves as continuing the work of the Saint that founded the order.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you meant Orders or Holy Orders (ordination).

There are lots of them. This site contains an incomplete (but substantial) list. There are the big ones - the Dominicans [OP], Franciscans [OFM], Jesuits [SJ], and then there are many smaller, or lesser known ones. The requirements for admission into an order vary. I know the most about the Dominicans, so I'll use them as my example.

Candidates for priesthood must have a bachelors degree before entry. The first year is called the novitiate (from the Latin, novus, or "new"). They're called novices, but are jokingly referred to as no-vices. After the novice year, there's another 7 years before ordination. 2 years are spent studying philosophy, 4 studying theology, and there's a residency year where the student brother is sent "on location" to a parish or Newman center.

The Dominicans are named after St. Dominic, and are known as the Order of Preachers (thus, O.P.). Their charism is preaching and teaching. They see study as prayer, and it is a part of their spirituality. Other Dominicans that you might have heard of are St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Albert the Great, and St. Catherine of Siena.

Each order has its own charism, rule for living, and spirituality. They have their own governing system, and there is a certain hierarchy within them. But most are subject in a certain way to the diocesan bishop. They are in communion with the larger Church, and work for common goals - for the advancement of the Kingdom.

Some orders are active and some are more contemplative. Even within orders, you might find some communities that are one or the other. They are to be self-sustaining. The Dominicans are known for their education, and so they often run schools - they run mine.

What else? I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out, but hopefully that's a decent start.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi AA,
Good to see you here in OBOB. :)

Holy Orders are the various offices within the Church; i.e., priest, deacon, bishop....

Oders are various religious 'societies' so to speak of brother/sisters/nuns, each with a different focus of spirituality. For example, St. Francis of Assisi founded the Franciscan order; which is composed of monks (brothers) who's focus is on poverty and helping the poor. St. Dominic began the Dominican order which focusses on teaching. St. Benedict founded the Benedictine order which focusses on contemplation (prayer), and so on....

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just to add- I think there are so many different ones because so many of them started to fulfil a particular need of that particular time.
For example, Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity started specifically because of the call she had to work with those who were neglected and dying on the streets of Calcutta. There were many orders working there but she saw these people and was led by the Spirit to work with them.
Another more recent order, The Little Brothers and Sisters of Jesus follow the rule of Charles de Foucauld, a French hermit murdered in Algeria. They live as contemplatives amongst the poorest of the poor and live as the poor do- so here in the UK they live in deprived areas, work in "dead end jobs" but pray almost all the time, and try to be "Little Nazareths" amongst their neigbours. They have associations, as many orders do, for people like us, to follow their "charism" in their daily life.
Today a Missionary Sister came to appeal in our Church. Their order works mainly in Africa and they currently run schools, which also function as support for families, feeding the children who otherwise would have a meal every few days...
Hope this helps answer part of your question!

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Angel,

"Religious Orders" are orders which have a particular charism - or gift to offer others. These can range from helping immigrants who only speak a certain language right here in the USA, to helping spread the Gospel in third world countries and so on.
This site gives a huge list of them with additional info if you click on the names: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/xrel.html
Religious orders also take vows, which may differ depending on the order and they have their own hierarchy which subsists within a particular diocese. You may have heard the term "Mother Superior" or "Abbot", as examples of the folks who lead particluar orders. They are still operating under the authority of the Bishop of that particular diocese however some authories such as parish management is sometimes delegated to them by the Bishop.

Laymen can join religious orders as well - they are called "Third orders". The Secular Franciscans (http://www.nafra-sfo.org/) is an example of a popular third order.
The same princples apply of having an independent spirital director, and so on, however the laymen who join are not nessecarily required to live in any particular place or take the vows expected of the concecrated religious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.