Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe CF could add a forum for legal matters and law questions. Anyway, I have a question regarding music copyrights.
I know it's legal for artists to use the same music as previous bands and redo the lyrics to them. The ApologetiX do this every day with their music and ministry. And I know there was a Supreme Court ruling that passed that gave them that right. But where does it get sticky? What are the parameters of this? Is it as long as the lyrics are completely different or what?

I was hearing about how Led Zeppelin was sued for using some of Muddy Waters' music. But was that because it was before the Supreme Court ruling or what?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe CF could add a forum for legal matters and law questions. Anyway, I have a question regarding music copyrights.
I know it's legal for artists to use the same music as previous bands and redo the lyrics to them. The ApologetiX do this every day with their music and ministry. And I know there was a Supreme Court ruling that passed that gave them that right. But where does it get sticky? What are the parameters of this? Is it as long as the lyrics are completely different or what?

I was hearing about how Led Zeppelin was sued for using some of Muddy Waters' music. But was that because it was before the Supreme Court ruling or what?
Apologetix does parodies, and parodies are explicitly protected in US copyright law.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apologetix does parodies, and parodies are explicitly protected in US copyright law.
I wonder what defines a parody? Other than listing it as so.

So would I be safe if I just listed the music as a parody? Or is there certain requirements within the lyrics of such?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And I also wonder..If I don't charge for the 'parodies' that I make and just give it all out. Would I still be liable? And if someone wanted to sue me and it was granted, how much could they sue me for if I gave out the music to begin with and didn't earn anything from the recordings?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It's tricky. Check it out, but my understanding is that live performances have no copyright issues at all. If you record and play a performance, copyright law is invoked. You can sing along in church without a problem, but if you record the meeting and put it on youtube, you need the copyright issues resolved. It may be necessary to pay a royalty to the song writer(s) or owners of the copyright.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And I also wonder..If I don't charge for the 'parodies' that I make and just give it all out. Would I still be liable? And if someone wanted to sue me and it was granted, how much could they sue me for if I gave out the music to begin with and didn't earn anything from the recordings?

WWWAD?

What Would Weird Al Do? :)

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
^This whole matter is very murky and tricky. I'm not a lawyer. But I'm going to continue on with what I'm doing. If someone wants to sue me one day then oh well. I'll cross that bridge if I get there. Right now I don't think I have anything to worry about. Lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
George Harrison was found guilty of SUBCONSCIOUS PLAGIARISM for the melody of MY SWEET LORD

Had to pay 200,000 pounds
George Harrison was a Beatle and probably had a huge target on his back.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just thought, too, that I could probably reach out to the original artists of the songs and ask their permission as well. That in itself would be a witness to them cos they'd listen to the song. (I make Christian raps)

Come to think of it, I think I remember Weird Al doing that too. Unfortunately, I think every now and then he was turned down.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WWWAD?

What Would Weird Al Do? :)

While Weird Al could have gotten away with his work as a true parody, he actually asked permission of the artists he parodied, let them check his work before he performed it, and did not perform anything the original artist objected to.

That's why, for instance, he never parodied Prince. Prince would never give him permission.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While Weird Al could have gotten away with his work as a true parody, he actually asked permission of the artists he parodied, let them check his work before he performed it, and did not perform anything the original artist objected to.

That's why, for instance, he never parodied Prince. Prince would never give him permission.

Yeah I realize that. But then what was the story with Coolio? Coolio was mad at the Gangster's paradise parody (Amish paradise). I think that time he failed to get permission but maybe that was after the supreme court decision. Since his career started pretty early like maybe around 1981-83.

Interesting fact, the wife of a friend I lost track of knew him from college, in San Luis Obispo, he was in her dorm.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
^This whole matter is very murky and tricky. I'm not a lawyer. But I'm going to continue on with what I'm doing. If someone wants to sue me one day then oh well. I'll cross that bridge if I get there. Right now I don't think I have anything to worry about. Lol

Well, it has a murky and tricky middle but there's clear demarkation out in the safe zone. At any rate, as you said, absent explicit permission/license, your parody claim is as good as your legal defense if sued. Just like with patents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah I realize that. But then what was the story with Coolio? Coolio was mad at the Gangster's paradise parody (Amish paradise). I think that time he failed to get permission but maybe that was after the supreme court decision. Since his career started pretty early like maybe around 1981-83.
Weird Al made it his practice to go above and beyond the law. Amish Paradise was still legal. Weird Al felt bad about it when he found out that Coolio was not OK with it when he thought he had been OK with it, and I believe he has been more diligent about getting permission ever since.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's tricky. Check it out, but my understanding is that live performances have no copyright issues at all. If you record and play a performance, copyright law is invoked. You can sing along in church without a problem, but if you record the meeting and put it on youtube, you need the copyright issues resolved. It may be necessary to pay a royalty to the song writer(s) or owners of the copyright.

That isn’t correct. There are still copyright issues at play in live performances, they’re just handled differently than with recordings. With a recording, the responsibility to arrange the various licenses falls to the band making the new recording (or their management). With performances, the responsibility shifts to the venue. If you have a bar and hire in bands (or play a radio for your customers), then you’re responsible for paying a licensing fee to a PRO like ASCAP or BMI. There are different formulas for determining those fees, but AFAIK, they’re usually based on typical occupancy and the money gets thrown into a pool that’s distributed among the represented artists. I imagine that at larger venues, like arenas, there are different processes, possibly including the cataloging of each song that gets played so that the royalties go straight to the artist rather than into a pool. But at least at the small end, the venues just pays the fee and the bands don’t have to worry about anything.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I haven’t looked into the parody rules in a long time, but typically, whether or not you charge for your music has no bearing on whether or not you’re supposed to pay royalties for distributing it.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That isn’t correct. There are still copyright issues at play in live performances, they’re just handled differently than with recordings. With a recording, the responsibility to arrange the various licenses falls to the band making the new recording (or their management). With performances, the responsibility shifts to the venue. If you have a bar and hire in bands (or play a radio for your customers), then you’re responsible for paying a licensing fee to a PRO like ASCAP or BMI. There are different formulas for determining those fees, but AFAIK, they’re usually based on typical occupancy and the money gets thrown into a pool that’s distributed among the represented artists. I imagine that at larger venues, like arenas, there are different processes, possibly including the cataloging of each song that gets played so that the royalties go straight to the artist rather than into a pool. But at least at the small end, the venues just pays the fee and the bands don’t have to worry about anything.

A work must be fixed to some medium in order to be copyrighted. Thus, any band that has produced music professionally will have at some point recorded their work and thus it is copyrighted.

The point about "live performances" is that if an artist has, say, done nothing but performances--and has never so much as written down the words or melody, has never done a demo tape, has never even done a YouTube video on a cell phone--then that work is not copyrighted. It must have been fixed in a medium at some point to be copyrighted.

So say a street musician totally improvises a song on the street corner, and another person records it and later performs it himself for a YouTube recording. That second musician will own the copyright on that work.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
OK, I've heard a few performers say that they do not pay royalties for live performers. if the venue pays, that makes sense.

Upvote 0