dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am not a Lutheran but I have question about loss of salvation and restoration. If a person who was once a christian loses faith, really loses it, gives up on christianity can they be restored again? How does that happen? Is there a point of no return?

Any help appreciated.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I am not a Lutheran but I have question about loss of salvation and restoration. If a person who was once a christian loses faith, really loses it, gives up on christianity can they be restored again? How does that happen? Is there a point of no return?

Any help appreciated.
All they need to do is repent and invite Jesus back into their heart. The only point of no return would be a total complete rejection of Jesus with no repentance. Some might argue that if you declare that Jesus is the devil you have committed the unpardonable sin.

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
From the LCMS website:

QUESTION: Can you lose your salvation, and, if you can, what do you need to do to regain it again?

ANSWER: The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod believes and teaches that it is possible for a true believer to fall from faith, as Scripture itself soberly and repeatedly warns us (1 Cor. 10:12; 1 Peter 5:8; 2 Peter 3:17; Heb. 2:1-3, 3:12-19, 6:4-8, etc.).

Such warnings are intended for Christians who appear to be lacking a right understanding of the seriousness of their sin and of God's judgment against sin, and who, therefore, are in danger of developing a false and proud "security" based not on God's grace, but on their own works, self-righteousness, or freedom to "do as they please."

By the same token, the LCMS affirms and treasures all of the wonderful passages in Scripture in which God promises He will never forsake those who trust in Christ Jesus alone for salvation (John 10:27-29; Rom. 8; Heb. 13:5-6, etc.).

To those who are truly repentant and recognize their need for God's grace and forgiveness, such passages are powerful reminders of the true security that is ours through sincere and humble faith in Christ alone for our salvation.

A person may be restored to faith in the same way he or she came to faith in the first place — by repenting of his or her sin and unbelief and trusting completely in the life, death and resurrection of Christ alone for forgiveness and salvation.

Whenever a person does repent and believe, this always takes place by the grace of God alone and by the power of the Holy Spirit working through God's Word in a person's heart.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All they need to do is repent and invite Jesus back into their heart. The only point of no return would be a total complete rejection of Jesus with no repentance. Some might argue that if you declare that Jesus is the devil you have committed the unpardonable sin.

I thought maybe they needed some special ministry, intercession?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Any help appreciated.

Why the interest in loosing faith?
Surely one should be looking to strengthening one's faith, not looking for how to end it?

What would you say to a friend who having got married is asking for good divorce lawyers!
If after taking to him you the there is nothing wrong, he is just looking!
Would you think that a strange attitude to take into a marriage?

It is the same with Christianity one doesn't go into it looking for a way out.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well in some churches they would need to confess the sin and obtain absolution.
It would probably be advisable to confess to a minister in such a case, and then partake of communion soon after. But it would not be required. In this case it is only necessary to confess to God and hear the Gospel as a means of grace.

This is important to me as I had lost my faith, but I returned after a bit.

Upvote 0