• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Question about heart rate and exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverstars0404

Loving life!
Oct 25, 2008
Marion, IA
✟15,238.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am a 20 year old US Navy Reservist. Twice a year I have to run a mile and a half to pass my physical fitness test. I have never been a big runner - and I've failed the test twice. If I fail again in the spring, I will be kicked out of the Navy.

I'm really working hard on getting past this hurdle - however, I've noticed that when I get on a treadmill/Elliptical that has a heartrate monitor, my heart rate is up in the 190 - 210 range. It says that my ideal rate should be 160 or so...but to keep it in that range, all I have to do is just walk at my normal pace. When I'm really running hard, I have problems breathing - and I think it may be related to my heart beating really fast, but I'm not sure. I also had sinus surgery this past April and have kind of had to re-learn how to breathe properly since my nose is working the way it's supposed to.

My resting heart rate is normal - if not a little slower than normal.

I dont' know if that's normal - and if it'll go down with regular working out or if it's something I should get checked out? What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Lara

hermanchauw

Apr 23, 2007
Singapore
Visit site
✟7,953.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Please get a doc's clearance to exercise. I highly recommend physical training. Please get one experienced with heart conditions. You could search for Peter Rouse in California, my coach. Or you could check out the coaches at www.rmaxinternational.com.

Breathing wise. During exertions, focus on the exhalation. Shape your mouth as if you are going to whistle, exhale SLOWLY. Don't gulp air on the inhalation. Let the inhale come naturally.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.